PPV for Villa Games

Ouchmefoot

3 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

So just to clarify, if I don't have a sky box but can access now TV on my smart telly, do I need to purchase a sky sports subscription before I can get a PPV match. Or can i just pay the £15 as a one off?

May be a moot point as I imagine ill be going for paddle down a wee river on Sunday instead but would be nice to understand my options

I believe you can purchase each game separately. Don’t shoot me if I’m wrong though! But that seems to be what the Now TV site says, see link above.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 20:41, limpid said:

It was introduced a long time ago to maintain crowds at other (lower) league clubs. It was agreed by the original Football League and I suspect that as the Premier League inherited the agreement, that it would require a vote of all 92 clubs to change it.

Football exists outside of the top flight :mrgreen:

This is all well and good but Chelsea vs Southampton is on at 3pm Saturday. It’s ridiculous for BT and Sky to be able to move games from 3pm on Saturday purely to generate more pay per view takings which is clearly why it is happening now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

So just to clarify, if I don't have a sky box but can access now TV on my smart telly, do I need to purchase a sky sports subscription before I can get a PPV match. Or can i just pay the £15 as a one off?

May be a moot point as I imagine ill be going for paddle down a wee river on Sunday instead but would be nice to understand my options

I looked into this a few days back, see my answer below. 

On 11/10/2020 at 22:56, It's Your Round said:

Looks like you can only buy them through NowTV, if you don’t have a Sky subscription. So you’d need a NowTV box or stick, or watch it on a laptop. I’ve got an LG telly with the NowTV app downloaded, however it won’t work with that because you have to download the Sky bollox office app. So without extra kit, I can’t buy these games even if I wanted to. Stupid really. 

16 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I looked into this a few days back, see my answer below. 

Righto cheers. They really are a shower of greedy bar stewards aren't they. Saw someone mention on twitter that on Principe they are gonna give £15 to charity and watch the game on a stream! May do that instead - can't bear the thought of giving sky money for it and validating their decision further

• Like 4

On 16/10/2020 at 18:34, TheMelvillan said:

Righto cheers. They really are a shower of greedy bar stewards aren't they. Saw someone mention on twitter that on Principe they are gonna give £15 to charity and watch the game on a stream! May do that instead - can't bear the thought of giving sky money for it and validating their decision further

Lol dunno why Sky keep getting a kickin with this as I'm pretty sure all money goes to the clubs? There's no commentary or anything. 

• Like 1

There's definitely no commentary?   

The broadcasters will surely get some of the fee for the usage of their equipment and staff?

The clubs are supposedly getting money from this so you can understand them wanting to do it but the end of last season saw all games shown on TV somewhere so no doubting that the fans, during a (hopefully) once-in-a-lifetime pandemic are right now being shafted. They could have continued to show all the games through their various subscription services in order to keep people entertained during dark times in our lives.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Did anyone get to see the Chelsea v Southampton game on a "little river" yesterday. I checked but couldn't find anything. Seemed like they were doing a good job of blocking them. 

Sky said something about a "super block" they've got to take down the illegal streams. Maybe it's more than just talk. 

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

Did anyone get to see the Chelsea v Southampton game on a "little river" yesterday. I checked but couldn't find anything. Seemed like they were doing a good job of blocking them. 

I watched most of it, was glitchy, dunno if I could stand that tonight, ill post something in match thread later if it works.

• Like 1

Before we moved up here I was a season ticket holder and for a number of years would watch the away games in the pub on a dodgy stream. There would be the odd Sky crackdown but they were generally ineffective. Then Sky had a big crackdown and threatened pubs with a £25k fine. That worked! 

Now we live 460 miles from VP I only get to 1 game a year and so I’ve signed up to Sky. I was initially very much against the PPV, but if the money is largely going to the clubs then I see the point and will watch today’s game. 

My concern is that clubs like Man U and Liverpool will take in even more money than they usually do and gain yet another advantage. If in future games are all sold through individual clubs then even for clubs like us the game is too far weighted against us. If 100 million Chinamen all pay £1 a game to watch Man U they really can buy the league. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Sky said something about a "super block" they've got to take down the illegal streams. Maybe it's more than just talk. 

Most of the streams aren’t even shown by Sky. PL sells their games worldwide so there are loads of different stations which will be showing it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

They aren’t likely to say “Well yes if you take about 5 mins to have a look you’ll be able to watch it for free but we’d rather you give us £15” are they? 😀

Â