PPV for Villa Games

Ouchmefoot

1 hour ago, a-k said:

The broadcasting rights of the Premier League, the biggest league of any kind in the world, are ridiculous. Prior to this PPV scheme, how could someone who lives in England not have potential access to watch all matches? Like you said...want to watch any NBA match? Pay a monthly fee and watch any match you want, regardless of where you live. Want to watch NFL? Pay a monthly fee and watch any match you want, regardless of where you live. Live in Canada? Pay a monthly fee for DAZN and watch any Premier League, EFL, UEFA, Serie A, NFL, etc. match. I'm living abroad and for £30/month I can watch any Premier League, EFL, Bundesliga, Ligue 1/2, Golf, NHL, NFL, etc. "Problem" is that the Premier League games generally won't have English commentary. Sure, I can watch it as such, but how can the biggest league in the world not give me any other options to watch the matches in English?

Prior to DAZN, there was a point in time when all Premier League games were broadcast in Canada on TV. Of course you needed a basic sports package to access the channels, but I always thought it was ridiculous that I could choose which game I wanted to watch while people in England have no choice on what games they can watch.

As stated below, the issue is that if 95% of the English footballing consumers are at home watching streams, the lower league clubs will be devestated. 

Need to consider the whole football ecosystem, not just the plastic Mancs who watch a stream but may also occasionally go watch Stockport. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

They'll have done their homework and decided that this is the price point that'll net them the most income. Like many others, I think it's too much and there's not anything they could add to or change about it to make me pay 15 quid for a single match. How much were the games when we were in the championship? I used to pay for them. 

It's £10 for Championship and Leagues 1 and 2

I just pray that the big boys realise that the reason why the PL is considered the best league in the world is BECAUSE it's so competitive. 

If they start splitting the TV revenue on a PPV basis depending on the viewing figures then the top 6 will be set in stone and in time the top 2 with Man U or Liverpool winning every year. 

At this point the PL becomes just like every other league and it's dominance will wain. 

Also potential new owners would be put off because what would be the point? 

If I'm honest I'm on the verge of wishing the top clubs would eff off into a European super league and it's only results like us smashing Liverpool which gives me hope we may have a chance of getting to the top again. 

But if they are allowed to tap directly into the 10bn worldwide "fans" the gulf will just become completely unbreachable. 

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I just pray that the big boys realise that the reason why the PL is considered the best league in the world is BECAUSE it's so competitive. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54499998

Liverpool and Manchester United are leading radical proposals for the reform of English football.

Under the proposals, the Premier League would be cut to 18 teams, the EFL Cup in its present form would be abolished and the Community Shield scrapped.

In addition, the top-flight's 14-club majority voting system would change.

It is also planned that, as well as the 'big six', ever-present league member Everton, West Ham United and Southampton - ninth and 11th respectively in the list of clubs who have featured in the most Premier League seasons - would be granted special status.

If six of those nine clubs vote in favour of a proposal, it would be enough to get it passed.

Six clubs is enough apparently for the league to be competitive.

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Fans will still pile into pubs given their exemption which is ridiculous giving the various levels and localised lockdowns. It’s rank stupidity and dangerous. It needs a rethink. 

I wonder if pubs will have the chance to buy the games or whether it will consumers only? And if it is consumers only can this really be policed. Regional pubs (even ones that don’t normally fork out for sky sports) will obviously be more than happy to spend £15 to bring in the local fans and the pubs will be packed.

If that goes through then football is finished.............no chance of anyone outside the top 6 raising a challenge, new owners with massive wealth being vetoed so they don't challenge their domination.....just horrible.

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Again it's against the law to show any football match from the UK or worldwide at 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. That's the reason why we can't currently see all our games, they'd either have to scrap 3pm kick offs in the Prem or change the law and screw over lower league teams whose fans may decide to just stay home and watch the Premier League on telly rather than turn up to their local team. 

Wasn't familiar with this rule and hadn't read the entire thread...thanks. But, most of the games lined up for PPV are not Saturday 3pm matches...

3 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Also big 6 on their own wouldn't get this through hence the other 3 brought in, none of which pose a massive threat. Hope to god the remaining 11 vote this out.

Yes I can't see it happening. Reducing the league by 2 teams and taking a 25% pay cut? Can't see turkeys voting for Christmas.  Without the parachute payments relegated clubs would go bankrupt within 2 seasons. A proposal from the Glazers and Rick Perry should automatically be turned down regardless if it is good or not. Both words removed.

Long term I can see sadly the League Cup getting binned or to allow teams who have qualfied for Europe not to play in it.

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

If they start splitting the TV revenue on a PPV basis depending on the viewing figures then the top 6 will be set in stone and in time the top 2 with Man U or Liverpool winning every year. 

At this point the PL becomes just like every other league and it's dominance will wain. 

Also potential new owners would be put off because what would be the point? 

If I'm honest I'm on the verge of wishing the top clubs would eff off into a European super league and it's only results like us smashing Liverpool which gives me hope we may have a chance of getting to the top again. 

But if they are allowed to tap directly into the 10bn worldwide "fans" the gulf will just become completely unbreachable. 

The premier league is literally based on what you hope in your post so they certainly know it.

12 hours ago, MadridVilla said:

I don't suppose anyone knows but can you still buy these games without an existing Sky/BT subscription? Seems like you do, which would be an even bigger blunder than charging £15 in the first place.

Looks like you can only buy them through NowTV, if you don’t have a Sky subscription. So you’d a NowTV box or stick, or watch it on a laptop. I’ve got an LG telly with the NowTV app downloaded, however it won’t work with that because you have to download the Sky bollox office app. So without extra kit, I can’t buy these games even if I wanted to. Stupid really. 

It's absurd. I won't be buying any of them.

The sooner the premier league moves to distributing their own games the same way the NFL and the WWE etc do the better.

£10-£20 a month for every single game. They'd make billions and billions every month doing that

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's absurd. I won't be buying any of them.

The sooner the premier league moves to distributing their own games the same way the NFL and the WWE etc do the better.

£10-£20 a month for every single game. They'd make billions and billions every month doing that

I can see why they're charging for these games but as you say, the wwe, nfl and nba show how it should be done. All excellent products and value for money. 

I can only assume its the current TV deals that is preventing it from happening. Also could it be the end of sky sports and bt sports if they had no access to Premier league games? 

On 10/10/2020 at 07:12, OutByEaster? said:

I think we need to be very careful of anything that puts money into clubs based on how many PPV subscribers they generate on a game by game basis - it would be another enormous step toward solidifying the top two or three clubs at the top of the tree forever. It's absolutely vital that any money generated by the Premier League is spread throughout the Premier league - a situation where each club has their own TV deal is the end for us - and for everyone barring Liverpool and Manchester United.

For this particular deal - it's a step toward where the Premier league would like to be and another step away from where football fans would like to be - it's a bit late to start complaining now though, we sold our souls in 1992.

Yep it's an extremely fortunate turn of events for the elite.  Once again the pandemic has somehow benefitted the haves.  For years they've wanted the Spanish model where they get to negotiate their own TV deals and they get the amount of money commensurate to their size and appeal within the league (read : Barça & Real get everything).  But the Premier League model didn't give them that autonomy.  Now, through no fault of anyone's really, they are effectively getting that through PPV demand - and as you say it sets a precedent of sorts that might be difficult to come back from.  They've had a taster now. We don't know how significant the precedent will be, but you can be sure they'll try to cling to it, or a variation of it unnder the guise of giving the fans what they want, and after all isn't it all about maximising profits by fleecing the fans giving the fans what they want?

50 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I can see why they're charging for these games but as you say, the wwe, nfl and nba show how it should be done. All excellent products and value for money. 

I can only assume its the current TV deals that is preventing it from happening. Also could it be the end of sky sports and bt sports if they had no access to Premier league games? 

Nfl charges a lot but you can replay any game at any time, see specific highlights from multiple angles. 

As limpid said, for the price quoted, I would expect post-match replay, multiple specific angles, choice of audio etc etc 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It's just the fear of the unknown. Currently the TV companies pay them X billion for the TV deals and they handle all the promotion, advertising, marketing for the PL so they don't have to do it themselves. If they suddenly decide to start PL Game Pass then they have to have their own pundits, TV studios, preview programs, TV channel etc. It easy to just have an auction for TV rights and then take in the money. It's a risk to try to do it yourself. However in today's world it's not as hard as you think and the potential revenue stream is enormous. It will happen eventually but if I owned a PL club I would be pushing for it now. 

Â