Pre-match Thread

alreadyexists

On 06/10/2020 at 06:18, alreadyexists said:

I think we will line up the same as against Liverpool, and I’d imagine there would be no arguments from most fans I suspect as you can’t really change a side that thumped the champions 7-2! 

Curious if Douglas Luiz and Martinez flying back after games 72 hours earlier in South America will be up to it - or at least at the same level - but can’t imagine them not starting.

7 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Curious if Douglas Luiz and Martinez flying back after games 72 hours earlier in South America will be up to it - or at least at the same level - but can’t imagine them not starting.

Yeah, it’s a concern definitely. I would imagine Martinez would be fine as it’s not like ‘keepers run their arse off or anything. Luiz is young too (still only 22!?) so I’m sure he’ll be fine.

15 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Yeah, it’s a concern definitely. I would imagine Martinez would be fine as it’s not like ‘keepers run their arse off or anything. Luiz is young too (still only 22!?) so I’m sure he’ll be fine.

Morning Alan! I'm a bit concerned because Luis played all or most of the match against Bolivia on Saturday so he might play all of the one against Peru this Wednesday, but like you say, he's only 22, he should be super fit. But McGinn and Hourihane both played 120 minutes on Thursday and the whole game yesterday, and will probably start their internationals on Wednesday too. They're likely to be a bit tired! Maybe Jack could move back to central midfield for this one in place of McGinn, with Trez on one wing and Traore on the other.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

There’s still a certain % drop off that comes with travel, jetlag etc that worries me on a keeper’s concentration and reflexes. It is what it is though - I wouldn’t be starting Steer because of it.

Re- the international hangover. We can only hope Leechester suffer as much as we do.  It's one of the unfortunate consequences of actually being a good team now.

Especially in McGinn's case where he's a one man team up there.

Spoiler

;)

tenor.gif?itemid=11210702

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I agree.It should be a dandy & i hope it"s a dandy for years to come. It would be nice to see new clubs coming along & pushing the entitled "top six"

New clubs? Cheeky sod!  :)

(But I know what you mean). 

I've a nasty feeling that we may be a bit overconfident after the euphoria of our last game (plus the effects on our international players) and could come down to earth with a bump. Hope Deano can prepare them mentally. 

• Like 1

yes expectation management will be key. A draw in this game would still be a good result, even if I know think we can go into any game genuinely trying to win it. 

Mcginn will potentially have had a very heavy workload too. This is where we hope the freshness of Barkley can help us. 

I think the debut will have done wonders for Barkley’s confidence and match fitness. I know he wasnt exactly rusty but it can’t have hurt to get a goal, and play for 90mins, plus before the Lesta game he’ll have more time to bond with the team etc.

Just now, TRO said:

Another tough one..

I’m keeping my expectations fairly low, in that I would be pleased with a draw away from home, to a side that are top 5 or 6 most seasons now. 
As long as we perform well, I’ll be happy enough. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

New clubs? Cheeky sod!  :)

(But I know what you mean). 

I've a nasty feeling that we may be a bit overconfident after the euphoria of our last game (plus the effects on our international players) and could come down to earth with a bump. Hope Deano can prepare them mentally. 

It's funny you said that as after I posted it and read it again I thought someone will get pissy about the "new club" bit. I know Villa is not a new club & meant no disrespect & see you took only a little bit. The current top six need a boot up the arse with different clubs challenging them. You guys certainly have the dosh to do that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

At least grealish and mings havent played much.

God i hate that chav vardy with a passion

Yeah and we get an extra day rest + its only an hour up the road from bodymoor heath so probably won't do the overnight travel on Saturday and over given 7.15 kick off.  

We get an extra dats rest over Leeds who play Wolves Monday night then they travel to us on the Friday night. 

22 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Don't top teams who are loaded organize private jets for their players? With personal masseuses and IV's for fluids and nice food etc.ect.

Hopefully that's what NSWE are doing (as it won't be counted on FFP either)