Pre-match Thread

alreadyexists

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

For now I just hope we can field the same team.  Any long travels for the international lads? I assume Luiz will be travelling the furthest.

edit: he’s playing in Peru 3 days before Leicester.

I know he’s not running around but Martinez is in Bolivia which is pretty much the same distance.

7 hours ago, kieranavfc said:

Hopefully the Shakespeare factor plus studying how West Ham pulled them apart will give us the edge here

Problem being is they would have learned from that. It's like the next team to play liverpool wont find it as easy to smash 7 past em!

37 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Problem being is they would have learned from that. It's like the next team to play liverpool wont find it as easy to smash 7 past em!

And a good coaching staff will know (i) what Team A did to pull apart Team B, (ii) what Team B will likely do to prevent the next teams doing the same, and (iii) how to beat Team B based not just on what Team A did but also based on what Team B will change. Simple 🤓

Despite the win at Liverpool I think this game will be tougher. 

i expected four points from Liverpool, Leicester, Leeds and Southampton (1 win and 1 draw). That’s an average return.

with us already on 3, 7 points is on the cards which would be still a good return, would leave us on 16/21 points which is very good considering where we were last season.

putting on the claret glasses, we could even have 19 points from 21 which would mean we are half way to safety before November starts which is mind boggling. 

im still very much in the “let’s get safe first” before looking at anything else.

a win at Leicster would be seriously good news and if we are able to get ahead of the game before Heston and Wesley get back to try and challenge positions a bit more that will aid things further.

we just need to hop we don’t get a load of injuries, our back up options are not strong enough. 

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

For now I just hope we can field the same team.  Any long travels for the international lads? I assume Luiz will be travelling the furthest.

edit: he’s playing in Peru 3 days before Leicester.

so nice not to be worried, as conor can come in if he's knackered

• Confused 1

Tactics would need to be different, as the Liverpool game plan was very specific. However, no matter the tactics or lack of it, I really hope we manage to keep up the high pressure, the intensity in duels and the willingness to go on runs and provide passing opportunities. Also, continuing the "playing without fear" ethos.

• Like 2

Jack said in his post-match interview that the international break has come at the wrong time for us but on the other hand maybe it has also come at the wrong time for Leicester. It has denied them the chance of a quick reaction to their mini-thrashing at home to West Ham, the chance to put things right quickly. I hope that will be a little advantage for us.

Edited by robby b

On 06/10/2020 at 12:17, It's Your Round said:

I think revenge is high on the agenda for this one. After they hammered us on my birthday just before lockdown, I hope we tear them a new one this time. I want to see Vardy crying tears of red bull and amphetamine at full time as Villa celebrate another outstanding three points, and I want to hear Brendan Rodgers telling the press that he wanted to sign McGinn, but that he’s sadly out of their league now. 

Something to look forward to hey :)

Yeah, I can't stand Lesta really. They beat us 8-1 on aggregate in the league last season and that final game before lockdown we were absolutely dreadful. Some consolation beating them in the League Cup but I'd love to go there and batter them. Seem to really dislike us as well.

They tend to play possession football but played the counter attack to perfection against City much like we did against Liverpool. I'd expect them to have more of the ball but if we counter attack like we did against Liverpool we can certainly cause problems. Soyuncu and Evans aren't the quickest and they miss Pereira. They're coming off the back of a poor result and performance against W'Ham. 

Same team as Liverpool. We might even have a new signing by then given the window closes the day before. It would be great to get something here before a relatively favourable run of fixtures to Boxing Day, especially at home. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

Just hope Jack's hamstring manages to get through this period of games!

The international break should have come at a good time for him as he wont play all the games hopefully. 

2 hours ago, kidlewis said:

a win at Leicster would be seriously good news and if we are able to get ahead of the game before Heston and Wesley get back to try and challenge positions a bit more that will aid things further.

Heston?.. Doesn’t he play for Charlton...I’ll get me coat.

50 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We have a stronger eleven. I really mean that.

Imo we should be favorites.

Just had a look out of curiosity and we're 17/5 with Leicester 3/4. That's value.

A professional 0-2 away performance will really turn some heads. A result like that to compound what went before it will really make people sit up and take notice. I think most will treat the 7-2 dismantling of the current champions as an anomaly. We have to prove it wasnt. We have such an exciting side. Grealish now trusts those around him and he no longer has to drop so deep to pick up the ball, Barkley and Watkins have allowed for him to get more space to do his thing. Totally transformed. Craig Shakespeare will have some good insight into Leicester and a few of their players too. I cant wait to see what unfolds next. Hope everyone is fine after International duty and return unscathed.

30 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Who would you pick in a mixed 11?

Schmeichel/martinez

Justin/Cash

Castagne/targett

Soyuncu/konsa

Evans/mings

Ndidi/luiz

Tielemans/mcginn

Maddison/barkley

Perez/trez/traore

Barnes/grealish

Vardy/watkins

Good question. I’d go for most of their attack/midfield (Vardy, Perez, Maddison, Tielemans) but most of our defensive players (Luiz, Mings, Cash).