Was tonight the best ever Villa performance in our Premier League History?

Demitri_C

Best ever Villa PL performance?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Was tonight our best ever Premier League performance?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

Some of the games being mentioned are nowhere near tonight's result.

The Everton 3-2. That wasnt an amazing result, it was just a thrilling game and finish.

Blues 5-1 - Great game for us but they were relegated that season. It's not much better than beating Derby 6-0.

Wimbledon 7-1 - The only notable thing about this result is that we scored 7. If we scored 6 no-one would mention.

Sunderland 6-1 - Important result but again, they were a rubbish side.

Various wins against CL teams - So what? A 1-0 win against Arsenal/Man Utd doesnt compare to this game.

Tonight had everything. Great opposition, record equalling goals scored, complete talent mismatch on paper. Completely outplayed. It's by far the best result. There isnt even an argument for any other.

Yeah, now I'm calming down a bit I think this is right. Nothing has ever beaten this. This result will send shockwaves across the world.

• Like 1

We were absolutely ruthless today against one of the best teams, if not the best club in the world. Seven goals against a team that hasn't conceded that many since the early 60s and who very rarely concede away goals is a special performance. The fact that we could have parked the bus at 3-1 but carried on attacking and scoring says a lot. We could have easily capitulated but didn't. That shows the measure of this squad now, people would have written us off - me included but we pressed hard and ran our socks off and destroyed them. Considering the gulf in quality between us and them last season on paper, this result and performance should go down as our best ever in the PL. No question.

I've only seen this in my imagination. The closest in term of the score was Sunderland 2013. It came with a Benteke hatrick, we've been playing great that time (after some of the worst results). I don't think there is something like this, everyone kept looking at us as a team that barely stayed up. We've only beaten the worst sides. Just  to come and write history and smash number after the other! I wanted us to get 8-2 but  7 isn't bad at all! Everyone kept calling, messaging and congratulating me.

I was watching Spurs and Utd and was imagining and hoping  for us to smash Liverpool with them getting 2-3 red cards somehow. We done without red cards!

6 hours ago, R.Bear said:

The Everton 3-2. That wasnt an amazing result, it was just a thrilling game and finish.

Blues 5-1 - Great game for us but they were relegated that season. It's not much better than beating Derby 6-0.

Wimbledon 7-1 - The only notable thing about this result is that we scored 7. If we scored 6 no-one would mention.

Various wins against CL teams - So what? A 1-0 win against Arsenal/Man Utd doesnt compare to this game.

Tonight had everything. Great opposition, record equalling goals scored, complete talent mismatch on paper. Completely outplayed. It's by far the best result. There isnt even an argument for any other.

I think this is a  very good summary to be honest. Ok they had no mane or alisson but they had more than enough to beat us.

Honestly we could have won 10 -2 or even 11 we missed si many opportunities. 

I cannot think of a better premier league performance ever.

It's one of the best yes. But a game which stands out for me is against Spurs at home 98 time. Only 2-0 but they seriously only entered our half about 5/6 times. 

I've always been a keep the ball and smash em type. This is probably in the top 3 for performance but best result easily.

8 hours ago, R.Bear said:

It did but the OP specifically asked for the best result from the Premier League era. Few people on here will remember anything pre PL, let alone 1977 and how many do you think would have even seen a minute of that game? Probably only the people who attended it.

Correct It was never televised. Never thought I’d see an attacking performance come anywhere near it, I have now 

Result? 100% 

Have reigning champions ever been so soundly beaten so soon? (in the premier league anyway). I doubt it

Performance? I'm not sure. But it's certainly in the conversation

5 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Does anybody know if Danny Murphy is on the radio today

Yeah he was on talkshite.....talking shite. Switched off as he preferred to drone on about man ure and avoid questions about the redscouse. 

• Thanks 1

On 04/10/2020 at 23:45, R.Bear said:

I've reflected on the game and came to say most of this ^ after reading the suggestions made by others.  This result stands up better than any of those.  There is simply no comparison to beating the best current club team in world football 7-2 amongst those results. 

As for performance,  it is also top for me.  They were made to look as bad as they were, by what our players did. For every lucky deflected goal we scored, there was an unlucky "goal" that we didn't score. So the scoreline accurately reflects how much better than them we were. This, against a team that walked the league last season,  that had won their first 3 games this season, that had 0 excuses for losing the way they did, is an indication it was our performance that did something no other team in the country has been able to do for over a year. Best PL performance by Villa ever....

so far.

Olivia Wilde Reaction GIF

17 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I've only seen this in my imagination. The closest in term of the score was Sunderland 2013. It came with a Benteke hatrick, we've been playing great that time (after some of the worst results). I don't think there is something like this, everyone kept looking at us as a team that barely stayed up. We've only beaten the worst sides. Just  to come and write history and smash number after the other! I wanted us to get 8-2 but  7 isn't bad at all! Everyone kept calling, messaging and congratulating me.

I was watching Spurs and Utd and was imagining and hoping  for us to smash Liverpool with them getting 2-3 red cards somehow. We done without red cards!

If they had been down to 10 men, we would have struggled to break them down and it would have ended 0-0 at best 😂

58 minutes ago, NulliSecundus said:

If they had been down to 10 men, we would have struggled to break them down and it would have ended 0-0 at best 😂

Haha, yes I think so. 😂

Atleast we’ve won against Sheff Utd which is a progress.

Â