Was tonight the best ever Villa performance in our Premier League History?

Demitri_C

Best ever Villa PL performance?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Was tonight our best ever Premier League performance?

• Yes
    • No

23 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

We’ve had some top wins over the past few years, Arsenal when Gabby scored. Manchester City before they transitioned into the team that they are now and a very poor Derby team. 

Oh of course Everton Away.

don't think anything will ever beat that Everton finish 

And we've had some good games at the Emirates, probably my best as an away fan down there 

I did vote yes, because it was phenominal. And liverpool being the best in the country, demoloshing the league last season, and looking like they might do again.

BUT, their defending was shite. the 2-0 away to arsenal, they didn't do much wrong and we still played them off the park. And that was when Arsenal were good. We were particularly excellent that day and close between that and tonight

putting it in context, that villa side was challenging for the champions league. this one stayed up by a single point just a few weeks ago. makes it so, so special.

Edited by tomav84

42 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Our best result, definitely.  But performances need context and that goes beyond the scoreline.

Coming from behind to beat Arsenal 3-2, winning in the last minute at Everton - there's two that are right up there for me.

Astonishing win, but it's hard to call any performance the best ever.

All I can say is that it rekindles that heady night In 1976 when we thrashed them by five by half time. Like the star collation that heralded the birth of Damian tonight is the rebirth of an unstoppable footballing Juggernaut 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Can’t think of any of prem games we have scored 7 in apart from Wimbledon at home years ago

I cant. I remember us beating Swindon 5-1. I think it was the same year as Wimbledon?

Not sure I’d call it the best yet. Would need to watch again and ruminate. It’s up there for sure, but there was little pressure on us to get a result tonight, so I’d need to weigh up the context.

Definitely. No matter that Liverpool weren't at the races, they still have 11 world class players and we made them look like mugs. Every single villa player dedicated, hard working and putting a full shift in. I can't think of any player today who wasn't worthy of a 10. Grealish incredible, McGinn at his powerbum best, Watkins deadly but brilliant at holding up too, Trez ran himself to the ground, Douglas is reborn, Mings and Konsa a great partnership, Martinez the best keeper we've had, then Barkley a top class player who links up with Grealish and Watkins. I just hope this isn't a one off and the potential which was shown today is real.

100%. I said the same in the match thread.

We stayed up last season by 1 point. They won the league with 99 points. Both teams were virtually the same.

Our record at VP against Liverpool in the PL is rancid. 1 win in 22 years.

And we have smashed them, outplayed them and it could have been 10.

No other result even comes close.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I actually cannot think of a better result since the premier league was formed that?

What you think anything come close?

Beating the noses 5-1 in the MON era is the only comparable performance I can think of.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Did football exist before the Premier League because it just surpasses the 5-1 result we had against Liverpool in 77 as the best ever . 

It did but the OP specifically asked for the best result from the Premier League era. Few people on here will remember anything pre PL, let alone 1977 and how many do you think would have even seen a minute of that game? Probably only the people who attended it.

27 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Definitely. No matter that Liverpool weren't at the races, they still have 11 world class players and we made them look like mugs. Every single villa player dedicated, hard working and putting a full shift in. I can't think of any player today who wasn't worthy of a 10. Grealish incredible, McGinn at his powerbum best, Watkins deadly but brilliant at holding up too, Trez ran himself to the ground, Douglas is reborn, Mings and Konsa a great partnership, Martinez the best keeper we've had, then Barkley a top class player who links up with Grealish and Watkins. I just hope this isn't a one off and the potential which was shown today is real.

Liverpool were pretty decent at 1-0 , 2-0 , 2-1 ....we were penned in at times. We defended very well when needed ....in the end our dominance in defence, midfield and attack meant we run riot - Liverpool just couldn't be live with us.

Just now, SuperTed said:

Think it was. Can’t remember feeling this happy in recent times, even after the promotion. Have had to take a sleeping tablet as I’m literally bouncing in bed (queue Kenneth Williams gif 😂)

klyv1ph-gif.1341997

• Haha 1

Â