England v Wales/England v Belgium/England v Denmark

andykeenan

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Do you think Southgate has actually seen him play? Because I dont think he has ever watched the Villa players in his squad 

He's at Elland Road every week. I'm barely exaggerating, too.

Been at 2 games this season, about 8 last year. All that information and he's concluded he's a box to box. Good work Gareth.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I am still stunned by the fact Southgate treated Eriksen as just another player on the pitch, no plan on how to counter the threat of such a great player. Arrogant.

It's the same logic Gareth has that makes him feel Messi and Ronaldo wouldn't get into his side ahead of Rice, Phillips and Mount. They dont graft enough in his opinion. It's bull as far as Jack is concerned. Deano demands graft.

I bet he also has the mindset that shoehorning Lampard and Gerrard into midfield whilst criminally underusing Paul Scholes was the right way to go 

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I am still stunned by the fact Southgate treated Eriksen as just another player on the pitch, no plan on how to counter the threat of such a great player. Arrogant.

He thinks all of these playmakers are like Jack, no speed, no athleticism or work rate so they dont do any danger

Its why the likes of Modric and Rakitic had so much time in the World Cup

• Like 1

I really can't understand what he tried to achieve with tonight's tactics. What was the plan to win it with that formation and all those defensive players? And then, with a man down and a goal behind he didn't make a second substitution to bring some attacking force on untill the 75th (?) minute without creating anything before that. And the substitutions he made didn't make much of sense either. Why did Rice stay on for that long? He didn't do anything of note. He should've been brought off at half time and getting an attacking player on to at least try to get a goal. Just anyone. Jack, Sancho, that everton striker, anyone.

And Maguire, second worst only behind Southgate himself. There might be a good player in there, but he hasn't been seen in a long time. Wasn't it Southgate who said that he only picks players in form? Well...

And 3rd worst on the pitch was the ref. Ok, the red card on Maguire was about right, but the penalty? Very soft penalty. And then he made error after error. The weirdest one was when he had his back to the situation where Phillips took the ball from Povlsen to take the freekick, and Povlsen fell over screaming for nothing and the ref gave Phillips a yellow. Povlsen should've had a yellow for that. I can fully understand Henderson getting frustrated with him earning himself a yellow for not shutting up. I don't blame Henderson there. I would've been furious. That was for another situation, I know, and that situation looked very dodgy too. Phillips simply took the ball and the danish player wasn't strong enough. And then Povlsen should've had another yellow for shirt grabbing an english player. Nothing more than a freekick. The ref was a joke but England fell on Southgate's tactics and stubborness.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

It is mad that Man U paid 80 million for Maguire, who looks like a sub standard premier league player. 

Southgate is getting found out and its going to be fun seeing him fall apart in the next 18 months as the England Coach.

Bring back big sam? Keegan?

I was so excited for Big Sam England Manager.

Finally a manager able to play to our strengths, running fast and heading balls.

5 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

But doesn't put on the pitch the player who earns the most set pieces in the league.

It’s like Jeremy Beadle persisting to masterbate with his withered hand, they both,  he and England end up frustrated 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I do worry that Deano might get the call at some point in the next couple of years.

I'm absolutely convinced it will be Scott Parker.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

What would your best XI look like if they were all available and you can pick anyone not currently in the squad?

Henderson

AArnold ????? Mings Chilwell

Barkley Henderson Maddison

Sterling Kane Grealish

far better side than tonight but its actually kind of hard to shoehorn all these CAM/Forward/Winger hybrids into an actual side.

I've been trying to make one for the last 20 mins and the only consensus for me is that either Henderson or Pope should be in the team and possibly Chilwell at LB. Everything else has a lot of competition.     

Henderson/Pope

Trent     Dunk   Mings   Chilwell

Henderson  Philips

Mount     Sterling    Grealish 

Kane*

James & AWB cover at RB

Tarkowski/Konsa/Coady/Maguire cover at CB

left back I'm struggling to think of one? Is Targett going to be that close to a call up? or Bertrand?

Rice & Dier as defensive mid cover

Maddison/Rashford/Foden/Barkley/Sancho cover in a more attacking mid/wing

Ings/DCL & maybe even Watkins at striker. * I personally would start DCL or Ings over Kane (who I think has been very poor in the last few internationals) but I know that he's "undroppable" 

Very non big-6 focused and will never happen but that's more of what I would be looking at. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I do worry that Deano might get the call at some point in the next couple of years.

4 hours ago, Rino8 said:

I'm absolutely convinced it will be Scott Parker.

There isn't a downgrade anywhere in the top 3 divisions, literally anyone will do.

8 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Also, check out the reply from Linekar to this tweet. The efforts players, manager, and pundits are wrapping themselves over to defend this man is really revolting.

Yes Gary, listen to yourself and then watch what's happening in front of your eyes. 

There’s something very rotten about England but as we know, we’ll find out in about 10 years when these players do their books.

Top class players on the bench, 7/8 defenders on the bench several games running. These players are not idiots, they will be talking to each other asking WTF is going on.

Southgate took an age to come out for his post match conversation and said it was because he was telling the players how proud he was of them etc. Bollox, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some kind of showdown.

• Like 1

Â