Pre-Match thread

BOF

Long ball into the corners rugby style and pin them in. Don't let them out of their half ,out Liverscum liverscum. As long as we kick and battle for every ball I'll be happy. Don't know why but I believe we will win. 

As a liverscum legend once said "I'd absolutely love it if we beat them!"

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Just park the bus and hope their attackers have an off day

I don't think we have the personnel or the inclination to do that.

• Like 1

I really hope Barkley goes straight in. I'd like Traore on too but if he's playing tonight he'll be on the bench.

Our current best 11 should be able to give anyone a game.

My team would be:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz McGinn Barkley

Traore Watkins Grealish

Harsh on Hourihane perhaps but think he'll slow us down too much which won't be pretty against Liverpool's pressing. Barkley and Jack driving forward with the ball gives them something to think about.

Not expecting anything but hope we at least compete and battle with them and give it all we've got. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

On 01/10/2020 at 00:09, colhint said:

I think this is where we need to use the squad. I would make 2 changes Hause for Target and Davis for Trez. I would try Ollie wide right and Keinan in the middle.

This is just a dreadful opinion - so glad Smith will see it differently

Hause might be good in the air, but he’s utterly appalling in possession (even from CB where you have more time/space). Honestly, with Liverpool’s press we would concede possession every time he got the ball from LB. 

He’s not even good positionally at LB, Salah would tear him apart in the channel. Unfortunately Salah is just a world class player, his off the ball movement is a level above us. I agree Targett is poor defensively (slow, doesn’t stop the cross) but you can’t get points off Liverpool if they have the ball for 90 minutes. They are too good not to score.

Playing Davis is also bizarre. We will probably have 1/2 half-chances at best. As we saw vs. Stoke, if it falls to Davis he isn’t going to score it. He has attributes, but he’s just never going to be a clinical striker. Ollie works just as hard, has better off the ball movement and is more likely to finish a half-chance.

Switching out Trez is just strange as he is the best winger we have at tracking back to mark the opposing full-back’s over-lapping run? Everyone knows how Trent/Robertson are going to play.

Sorry to single you out, just massively disagree. It’s going to be an insanely hard game, and is not the chance to play two players in positions they barely play in.

I’d make one change from Fulham, Barkley in for Hourihane. Harsh on Connor who played well, but it’s a game we need our best XI starting. RB is match-fit and needs to play.

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Just park the bus and hope their attackers have an off day

Ha no way. Go out and try and express ourselves to the best of our ability against some of the best in the world, enjoy it and try and take the gaem to them and carry a threat. We don't have the players to park the bus against Liverpool, I'm not sure many teams in world football have, we're certainly no experts in it like Atletico Madrid. It would be the worst thing we could do. This games a free hit, we should go for it and not be too concerned about the result.

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

My team would be:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz McGinn Barkley

Traore Watkins Grealish

Harsh on Hourihane perhaps but think he'll slow us down too much which won't be pretty against Liverpool's pressing. Barkley and Jack driving forward with the ball gives them something to think about.

Not expecting anything but hope we at least compete and battle with them and give it all we've got. 

I would be opting for trez over traore for this one, trez work ethic would benefit us a lot in this game , traore on other hand could become a bit of a passenger with the lack of possession

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pete101 said:

I would be opting for trez over traore for this one, trez work ethic would benefit us a lot in this game , traore on other hand could become a bit of a passenger with the lack of possession

Good and fair point. Think he probably will get the nod as well. I just felt Traore's pace might help but in hindsight I don't think playing Trez would be a bad idea at all.

Barkley over Hourihane for me though for sure.

Don't know why people think Traore should play instead of Trez - "New players are better than the current ones" syndrome?

Trez works his arse off, which we'll need. And Traore mishit a goal and looked anonymous last night. Much better as an impact sub right now, until he's properly up to speed and can fight for his place on merit.

Same with Barkley for me. Players not knowing the system and their team mates can cost a team goals, and we don't want heads to drop after (for example) Conor's performance last week.

Same 11 as the Brighton game for me, but suddenly we have decent options on the bench. Except in defence. 

Edited by Pez1974

36 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Don't know why people think Traore should play instead of Trez - "New players are better than the current ones" syndrome?

Trez works his arse off, which we'll need. And Traore mishit a goal and looked anonymous last night. Much better as an impact sub right now, until he's properly up to speed and can fight for his place on merit.

Same with Barkley for me. Players not knowing the system and their team mates can cost a team goals, and we don't want heads to drop after (for example) Conor's performance last week.

Same 11 as the Brighton game for me, but suddenly we have decent options on the bench. Except in defence. 

The B-Brighton game?

I’d go same team as last week. If it ain’t broke... We need to be compact and keep our shape without the ball. If we can limit Liverpool to crosses from deep then it nullifies much of their threat. If they are able to run at our defenders or get in behind we are screwed as Mane and Salah are world class at what they do. They are playing a suicidal high line in their first few games so looking forward to some long through balls and a good foot race between Watkins and Van Dyke.