Among Us

hogso

I did post about this in the currently playing thread the other day, but it's hit the headlines in the last couple of days due to the proposed sequel being cancelled...because the original game is now being played by so many people, so the devs are going to update that instead. 

Aesthetically, it's strongly influenced by Alien, The Thing, and other similarly claustrophobic space / sci fi  fiction set on a spaceship or base, and is rather cartoony in nature. 

The game is wholly 2D, and top down. You are one of 10 crew members, tasked with completing mundane maintenance on the ship. One crew member, chosen at random, is the Impostor. They can murder the other crew, use shortcuts, and generally try to blend in.

Upon discovery of a body, the player can call a meeting with the other crew. They may report what they've seen, suggest suspicious behaviour...or the Impostor may deflect attention from themselves, and blame someone else. 

Very quickly these meetings can devolve in to crossed words between players - but at the end, you must either vote who to eject in to space, or skip voting. If the Impostor doesn't receive enough votes, they can continue killing - or better, another player could be ejected. Their goal is to kill all of the crew. 

There is a bit more to it than that, but it is really good fun when you get in to a match with players who get properly involved the spirit of the game. Is the player who never says anything in meetings the guilty one? Is the guilty one the player who called the meeting and immediately suggests that another player is the Impostor, when you yourself haven't seen evidence of that? Distrust and paranoia and paranoia can build quickly, and if the tide turns against you, rightly or wrongly, you'll be floating about in space before you know it.

It's available on iOS, Android, and Steam. There are micro transactions for some extra cosmetic stuff, but otherwise it's free. If a few people are playing it, we should arrange a private match!

• Like 3

Literally got into this game an hour ago, it's amazing.  Need to get a group who will actually talk properly and work things through, but it's immense.  Think it's more nerve wracking being the Impostor (going by the two times I've done it, on both occasions I've almost cleared the crew but got caught out when I got trigger happy).  Also made some bad calls, in particular having bumped into Cyan on their own so much and not been attacked that I was convinced it wasn't them, said as such when the next discussion came up and then as soon as the voting was done Cyan immediately killed me.

THIS GAME IS AMAZING.

I panic when I'm the imposter. I need to play more so I can be the imposter more to get more experience at it, I think. The first time I got picked I just killed a guy, someone walked in to the room immediately after, I couldn't bluff, that was that. 

• Like 1

I just had two rounds as the Imposter and in both nobody bothered to fix the o2 when I sabotaged it.  Easy wins!  But yeah, I know what you mean.  Most parties I find as soon as someone points the finger that's pretty much it, hard to talk yourself out of it even if you aren't the Imposter.  Hate games that're like "Blue sus", "Okay why? Where was the body", "Just vote".  I'm after that 12 Angry Men vibe, personally.

Just won my first game as The Imposter. It was a good one too! Let the sus rise amongst some of the more vocal crewmates, let them vote each other out, only had to kill 3 of them! 

That was swiftly followed by a couple of really good crewmate wins. I take to following round what appear to be other genuine players in the end game when I've done my tasks, risky, but when a meeting is called / body is found, I'm straight in with 'me and yellow together in cafe' or whatever. Works pretty good mostly. Makes me think it'd be a good imposter tactic too! 

• Like 1

Oh that's a good tactic, will have to try that.

All my Imp wins have come from Sabotage.  When I get a group to listen to me as a Crewmate, I'm good at convincing them to move in groups of 3 as tasks get completed, then it's easier to weed out the Imp.  Especially good when you know you can trust the person you're with.

• 3 months later...

Been playing this loads over Xmas. Definitely be up for a private match if people still play. Fed up of starting a game and people leaving at the start if they're not an imposter, or mid game if they get accused.

Hard to discuss with iPhone as I take ages typing on the touch screen so trying to form coherent sentences is a chore! A lot of the chat is like someone said above "Blue. Trust me. It's them. I saw."

Â