Pre-Match thread

BOF

Just now, juanpablosaliceband said:

I can’t comprehend how we would go and spend £19 million on a new wide player and still start Trezeguet ahead of Traore. Surely Smith will start Traore. He has to. None of this bedding in nonsense. Get our best players on the pitch ASAP. We lacked creativity against Sheffield United. 

Yeah agreed. Would be shocked if Traore didn't start this game. 

Bedding in isn't nonsense.

a) it is a new league, b) he has played only twice in about six months, whereas Trez has played full games in a very physical league and showed his fitness last game, c) it sends a poor message to players who work hard in the team - I know Trez is limited but he could hardly have done much more within his capabilities since the restart. d) you don't even know if Traore is better than Trez. He probably is, but considering a), b), c) and d), it probably isn't so very clear cut that you just bin off a hard-working member of the team for someone who is not going to be fit.

He should be an impact sub for all of these reasons, and would be annoyed if he wasn't.

• Like 4

Dean might want Bertie to have a look at the game and keep his powder dry.....when he comes on he will have a clear objective and we will have fresh legs v tired legs.

I won't be surprised if he doesn't start.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I will be interested to see how Ollie fairs against Ream ( their centre back)

in the play -off final last season Ollie struggle a bit against him......time for revenge Ollie.

I thought it was hector who had the better of him that night. I don't think hector is available tonight?

I'd go with:

Martinez

Cash     Konsa    Mings   Targett

McGinn Luiz Grealish

Traore     Watkins      Trezeguet

But we all know it will be Hourihane > Traore and Jack will be out 'left'.

15 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Bedding in isn't nonsense.

a) it is a new league, b) he has played only twice in about six months, whereas Trez has played full games in a very physical league and showed his fitness last game, c) it sends a poor message to players who work hard in the team - I know Trez is limited but he could hardly have done much more within his capabilities since the restart. d) you don't even know if Traore is better than Trez. He probably is, but considering a), b), c) and d), it probably isn't so very clear cut that you just bin off a hard-working member of the team for someone who is not going to be fit.

He should be an impact sub for all of these reasons, and would be annoyed if he wasn't.

Ok, saying bedding in is nonsense was an overstatement. But I do think its importance is over stated. In this case, I think it would be bizarre not to start Traore. Most of us have been crying out for over 12 months for better quality in wide areas, mostly borne out of the frustration of watching El Ghazi and Trez (acknowledge both scored important goals which fans are grateful for).

Fulham is a winnable game that we could rely on later in the season and I believe we should get that extra quality Smith and Terry have been talking of on the pitch ASAP and see what they can do. We are still short in enough areas as it is. If he does tire, fine, get trez on then to finish the job.

Also, I don’t agree it would send the wrong message to the other players. On the contrary, it shows that sub standard performances won’t be tolerated and might act as a wake up call to the likes of Targett, who was shocking against Sheffield United. “You’re next for an upgrade if you don’t get your act together.” 

I don’t think this is a must-win for us... but it almost is for Fulham. Lose this and they have zero points from three games and morale will be through the floor. So for that reason, beyond the three points for us, I would love to win it...

Edited by Adam2003

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dean might want Bertie to have a look at the game and keep his powder dry.....when he comes on he will have a clear objective and we will have fresh legs v tired legs.

I won't be surprised if he doesn't start.

Yep, he ain't gonna play the whole game with his lack of match fitness I wouldn't have thought, so he'll either get the first hour or the last half hour. Might be more effective in the last 30.

• Like 1

These games are almost always Villa's downfall for as long as I can remember. After a win, we ride high, have a winnable next game then lose it and the famous Villa doubt rears its ugly head.

I hope I'm wrong.

It isnt must win obviously but none of us want to be anywhere near the drop in May and winning these games will allow us not to be.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, blunther said:

Yep, he ain't gonna play the whole game with his lack of match fitness I wouldn't have thought, so he'll either get the first hour or the last half hour. Might be more effective in the last 30.

The question is when would Trez be more effective.  Traore has more pace and skill and can cause them more problems early on than Trez.  When he tires, bring on Trez against tired legs and he'll be useful.   The other way around we lose the threat in the early part of the game.

13 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Jesus we've a woeful record playing in London.

Including Wembley.

Since 2000 we've lost two FA Cup finals, two League Cup finals and a playoff final.

Our only wins being the 2000 (on pens) and 2015 semis and the playoff final last year. And semi wins mean shit if you lose the final so really its one win.

• Sad 1