Pre-Match thread

BOF

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

You know the bit where I said "is what I'd go"? That's a clue that I'm saying that's how I'd play

You think placing players on a page in a general shape has anything to do with how it works out in a game which is all about fluidity and players moving around the whole time? This isn't 1890 anymore, players don't just stand still.

I can see us shifting Watkins to the left later on in the game and bringing Davis on later through the middle , but it’s glaringly obvious we will start with the same shape that has us on our current 7 game unbeaten run.

45 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Anyone thinking a point from this game is enough is not looking at the bigger picture.

There are certain games we need to win to get to the 40 point mark, a recently promoted team on a bad run and no home fans is one of them.

If this game comes in the middle of a difficult run you earmark 3 points here; Just because it comes so early in the season does not change this!

Get the points when we can!

40 point mark jeez.

You are sounding like Roy Hodgson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Anyone thinking a point from this game is enough is not looking at the bigger picture.

There are certain games we need to win to get to the 40 point mark, a recently promoted team on a bad run and no home fans is one of them.

If this game comes in the middle of a difficult run you earmark 3 points here; Just because it comes so early in the season does not change this!

Get the points when we can!

No because win lose or draw with just Martinez and Watkins additions I think we'll be well clear of relegation. 

I think we'll win but football is always a funny game. Brighton and Baggies got robbed by shit reffing

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

No because win lose or draw with just Martinez and Watkins additions I think we'll be well clear of relegation. 

Easy enough said, but you need to actually pick up points to stay clear of those lower places. 

It will be a tough game.....they will be desperate to get off the mark, points wise.....we need to be ready for that.

if we can avoid playing like Chelsea first half v Wba......we have a real chance.

quick to the ball, deny them space and grow in to the game,play with a bit of aggression, like we have done since lockdown......we can get something.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

4-4-2 is dead.

Only a very, very few amount of clubs still use it.

Anyone who thinks like this has spent too long playing FIFA or football manager and not enough watching games.

We probably play 1-1-9 when attacking and 10-1-0 when defending. Do you really think football is so simple that when jotting down 11 players showing 2 strikers that they will be standing next to each other all game?

Rearrange it into a 4-3-3 if it makes you feel better, it won't make the slightest difference. All I'm saying is I'd like to see Watkins and Davis playing together.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Anyone who thinks like this has spent too long playing FIFA or football manager and not enough watching games.

We probably play 1-1-9 when attacking and 10-1-0 when defending. Do you really think football is so simple that when jotting down 11 players showing 2 strikers that they will be standing next to each other all game?

Rearrange it into a 4-3-3 if it makes you feel better, it won't make the slightest difference. All I'm saying is I'd like to see Watkins and Davis playing together.

Ha ha.....first poster I have heard say that......you are bang on.

The game morphs all the time......It Was Derek Dougan who said when asked about formations, its 1-10 isnt it.

Too much sophistication is applied to a simple game to make it look complicated.

If you can align desire and application to Talent.....its about as close to perfection as you can get......I think the Chelsea team illustrated that without desire, talent leaves you helpless, thank god they found some second half.

• Like 2

This is the team I want to see tomorrow night:

--------------------Martinez------------------

Cash-----Konsa-----Mings-----Targett 

--------------Luiz---------McGinn-------------

Traore-----------Grealish--------Trezeguet

----------------------Watkins--------------------

Subs: Steer, Hause, Elmohamady, Hourihane, Ramsey, El Ghazi, Davis. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think we'll win but football is always a funny game. Brighton and Baggies got robbed by shit reffing

x files GIF by The X-Files

Don't believe in that bogey team non sense.

We hadn't beaten SU in forever either. Didn't stop us from winning last Monday.

We have much better players than Fulham, we really should win this. Comfortably.

Edited by villalad21

My team for this match would be: 

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz Hourihane

Traore Watkins Grealish

Subs: Steer, Taylor, Hause, Elmohamady, El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Davis

I’m feeling quite optimistic for this match, we’re playing well and the players should be confident

• Like 1

Really could do with winning this. Next 2 games are Liverpool and Leicester 😲

Great litmus test of if we have stepped up a gear from last year. Need to beat teams like this to leave the relegation contenders behind. 

• Like 3

My abiding memory from the play off defeat was Cairney sneering at how football won that day in his post match interview. Fair dues, we were negative, they were much better but you've just won the game. Be gracious. We'll play much better ball tomorrow. I'm sure of it.