Ross Barkley

LondonLax

39 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

He’s 26, it’s hardly on the scrap heap. Perfect age coming into his prime years.

I hope so, I completely accept the Drinkwater loan is having an negative impact on my confidence in this idea tbf :D 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tinker said:

We have decent owners now. I don't like loan players , we are just developing other teams players or advertising them to be auctioned off at later date, or paying the wages of deadwood players .

While I generally agree that loans aren't ideal when you're in the top league, an experienced professional with 200 games of Premier League football under his belt will put us in a better position to buy someone of his quality at the end of the season instead of having to loan.

If relegation wasn't still a potential threat I'd prefer we develop our own players, but for now it's important to establish ourselves in the league and he might be worth a position or two on the table.

44 minutes ago, tinker said:

We have decent owners now. I don't like loan players , we are just developing other teams players or advertising them to be auctioned off at later date, or paying the wages of deadwood players .

Or improving our team by signing a player for a whole season that's too good to want to play for us permanently at a fraction of the cost. 

44 minutes ago, tinker said:

I don't quite get this view, we've not done this since these owners have arrived and Purslow has specificially said our policy is to not do this.

Sure we signed Reina and Drinkwater in January as temporary stop gaps but that is it.

I actually agree with your point re loans I just don't think its applicable to Villa.

No idea about his attitude, but he was quality at Everton and when he's played for Chelsea against us he's been good.

obviously he's not quite fulfilled his potential otherwise he wouldn't be linked with us.

can't believe he only cost Chelsea 15 mil back in 2018, considering the prices players go from thanks to Brentford.

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't quite get this view, we've not done this since these owners have arrived and Purslow has specificially said our policy is to not do this.

Sure we signed Reina and Drinkwater in January as temporary stop gaps but that is it.

I actually agree with your point re loans I just don't think its applicable to Villa.

No you misunderstood what purslow was saying. He said he didn't want to develop another teams players without an option to buy. Barkley is an already developed player who we know what he is. Buying experienced guys costs a lot of money and the age quickly so they have no sell on value getting them on loan is good business. We may not have stayed up without reina last season.

Purslow is against bringing in developing players in on loan because they don't help us that much and we don't get the benefits of having played and developed them. 

Â