Ross Barkley

LondonLax

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

Forgot about Oxlade-Chamberlain, that was a but of an odd one on Liverpool's part.

For arguments sake, let's say you're right and they did want that much. Do you think our owners would pay it?

Hard to say at this stage isn’t it... I don’t think they would have paid it if it was on offer this summer, but if we are more firmly established as a PL side, if he’s doing well, if we are at risk of losing Jack or Douglas Luiz it might be worth it - equally that might put him off - so many moving parts! But I think they would pay £40m for the right player for sure. How much above that is possible given FFP remains to be seen.

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Hard to say at this stage isn’t it... I don’t think they would have paid it if it was on offer this summer, but if we are more firmly established as a PL side, if he’s doing well, if we are at risk of losing Jack or Douglas Luiz it might be worth it - equally that might put him off - so many moving parts! But I think they would pay £40m for the right player for sure. How much above that is possible given FFP remains to be seen.

Yeah I agree. I'm not sure they would go as high as £50m at this stage, but I think they'd pay up to £40m. They may pay more than £40m if it included add ons but it's all guess work really.

I'd much rather pay that sort of money for a player like Barkley, particularly if he (as is looking likely so far) has an excellent season for us and is proven in this league. If you think that Wolves paid £35m for an unproven teenager, Newcastle £40m on Joelinton, and Spam £40m on Haller, the money we spend on Barkley will be much better value.

cant believe he only scored 4 goals for Chelsea though. before we signed him if someone had highlighted his stats of 4 goals in 51 games as an attacking midfielder we'd have been up in arms. i was sure i'd seen him scored bucketloads for chelsea but id obviously imagined it

guess it shows that stats really are worthless sometimes.

oh and the importance of playing with better players in a bigger club obv.

I think they'd pay £50m if he has a great season for us. 

If we finish well top half we'll have another £100m to spend next summer so would leave us £50m for other areas probably a new full back and another centre back. 

Maybe 3 other players if we can shift on one or two.  Barkley at £50m and 3 others at £20m ish each. 

Depends on if Wesley is up to scratch by then also.  Could be in the hunt for another striker. 

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

What situation with Mings? Getting an absolute bargain?

I am pretty sure you know what I mean. It was a good buy. A bargain would have been the £15 million or less that he would have cost if an option was in place. So it was an unplanned extra expenditure that may or may not have affected other acquisitions. Are you prepared for the spending of £60 million on Barkley if the good start continues. Maybe even more. Or that other clubs swoop in? Maybe he will be the only buy next summer if his good form makes his price rice. It's about protecting the club. Not developing another club's player, that Purslow firmly stated Villa would not do again.

14 hours ago, paul514 said:

I’d be surprised if the club didn’t stick a option to purchase him into the deal.

People saying he would cost 50m are way off the mark though, this is a player they need to get rid of and is significantly older than when they were going to spend 40 million on him.

I’d pay 30 if this season goes well 35 at a push. People have to remember for a club to sell there has to be a buyer willing to pay the fee and his big wages.

Because if his age you can’t sell him on for a big fee after a few years too, all this has to be factored in.

They only paid £15m for him so £27m - £35m sounds fair 

Edited by gwi1890

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I would hope that he played 90 minutes means he's OK. 

Already dreading having to play games without some of our first teamers. 

Yeah....Fitness is crucial to us.

And also another reason why, we don't need unnecessary attention, like Gabby is inadvertently stoking up, to burden us with.

We don't need to be motivating the opposition, by rubbishing them.....we will be labelled "upstarts" if folk keep this up.

1 hour ago, momo said:

I am pretty sure you know what I mean. It was a good buy. A bargain would have been the £15 million or less that he would have cost if an option was in place. 

If I buy a car for £30k (not cheap) and over the space of 18 months it's value rises to £50k that is a bargain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, momo said:

I am pretty sure you know what I mean. It was a good buy. A bargain would have been the £15 million or less that he would have cost if an option was in place. So it was an unplanned extra expenditure that may or may not have affected other acquisitions. Are you prepared for the spending of £60 million on Barkley if the good start continues. Maybe even more. Or that other clubs swoop in? Maybe he will be the only buy next summer if his good form makes his price rice. It's about protecting the club. Not developing another club's player, that Purslow firmly stated Villa would not do again.

Nah 20m was a bargain. Bournemouth thought they were fleecing us, but we knew his qualities. Within a couple of games, Mings was an England international and his value doubled if not more. Who really got fleeced?

I envision the same with Barkley. Chelsea don't value him as much as we do. If he ends up costing 50m, so be it. He'd likely be worth it to us. 

5 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

cant believe he only scored 4 goals for Chelsea though. before we signed him if someone had highlighted his stats of 4 goals in 51 games as an attacking midfielder we'd have been up in arms. i was sure i'd seen him scored bucketloads for chelsea but id obviously imagined it

I expect his goalscoring to slow down a lot in the future tbh. Statistically he's generally been more of an assister than a goalscorer in the past, and particularly with Chelsea.

Or, he could just have a permanent change in playing style. Who knows.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

5 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

A lot of those were sub appearances. I think he only made like 8 starts for them last season.

I like how in barkleys leicester post match he said "I was told villa hadn't won 4 games in a row since 1930, so this is a big success" (or something)

I just thought, "dude......its not 4 games in a row at any time.....we have been bad the last decade but not that bad" :P

6 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

They only paid £15m for him so £27m - £35m sounds fair 

Even if it is more you just make a judgement on what he is worth to us next July.

You would hope if it reaches 40 or 50 like some here are saying that the club just moves on to a foreign player who is much younger, so you can at least have the option of recouping a lot of the money or more later down the line and probably on less per year than Ross too.

6 hours ago, Mic09 said:

If I buy a car for £30k (not cheap) and over the space of 18 months it's value rises to £50k that is a bargain.

That's a good buy, not a bargain. A bargain would be buying a rusty car for £2k and working on it so that it value rises to £50k. Like McGinn.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Nah 20m was a bargain. Bournemouth thought they were fleecing us, but we knew his qualities. Within a couple of games, Mings was an England international and his value doubled if not more. Who really got fleeced?

I envision the same with Barkley. Chelsea don't value him as much as we do. If he ends up costing 50m, so be it. He'd likely be worth it to us. 

Everyone gets into that England squad. Don't understand why it's so hard for Grealish ;)

3 minutes ago, momo said:

That's a good buy, not a bargain. A bargain would be buying a rusty car for £2k and working on it so that it value rises to £50k. Like McGinn.

Everyone gets into that England squad. Don't understand why it's so hard for Grealish ;)

Well clearly not everybody as Tarkowski, Dunk and O'Connell are still awaiting their first call ups, let alone caps. Since that time, Mings has earned 4 caps. Even Jack got 2.

5 minutes ago, momo said:

By all estimates, a bench player suffering a long term injury prior to joining Villa is an excellent analogy of a rusty car ;)

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Well clearly not everybody as Tarkowski, Dunk and O'Connell are still awaiting their first call ups, let alone caps. Since that time, Mings has earned 4 caps. Even Jack got 2.

So serious!!! I have never heard of these players you mention ;)

8 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

By all estimates, a bench player suffering a long term injury prior to joining Villa is an excellent analogy of a rusty car ;)

Mings was fixed, healed and developed at Villa. Payed for by Villa. Then bought by Villa.

And back to the topic, the same will happen with Barkley. In a bigger scale with larger amounts.

Edited by momo

Â