Ross Barkley

LondonLax

Just now, QldVilla said:

I’ll bite, it wasn’t developing players, it was we wouldn’t loan players, improve them and then have to give them back without a buy clause. It was in reference to Mings, Tuanzebe and Abraham.

personally i disagreed with that when he said it. it was stubborn, and stank of ideas well above station. we survived by the skin of our teeth last season, and having a bit of PL experience + quality, even on loan would have made that more comfortable.

without the 3 you mentioned, we wouldn't have been promoted, so not sure what the issue is.

plus, we went on to buy mings. maybe, just maybe, we'll buy RB too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

Southgate can now watch how a forward thinking manager will use Jack Grealish alongside an attacking centre mid in the same team.

giphy.gif

Watching that GIF makes me realise Theresa May wasn't such a bad dancer 😄 

1 minute ago, Greenfly said:

I don't know, that was my interpretation. Either way, they were probably wise to realise that this could be a necessary signing, even if it's just to help us consolidate as a PL team.

Happy to be proven wrong, but consistency has been his problem week in week out for several seasons.

Amazing signing. I was sure we’d end up with RLC as it just seemed more likely but I really don’t trust him with his injuries so absolutely delighted with this. 

We’re putting together a proper good side. Everything is just going way too good for the club right now 😄

A bit surprised we managed to pull this off but I'm really excited to see him in a Villa shirt. I do hope that there's a buy option in the contract but on balance I'd still be happy if there wasn't - I think in that case we'd still have the opportunity to prove to Ross that he wants to be, and if he improves us enough that we're desperate to sign him then I suspect he'll probably also want to stay.

Honestly at this point there's almost no weak links in our starting team (on paper at least) except maybe Targett, which is kind of mind-blowing to me. If we signed Rashica too we wouldn't even be able to get all our "star" players onto the pitch at once. What's the world coming to?

• Like 1

Just now, QldVilla said:

Happy to be proven wrong, but consistency has been his problem week in week out for several seasons.

True. If anything, that makes me happier that they've broken their stance on loans. I think it'll prove to be the wise decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I didn’t say that. I’m simply pointing they were quite public with that acclimation and 12 months later it’s not relevant. The end of the season will tell us whether it was a good opportunity, he has lacked consistency his whole career.

Nothing wrong with a club changing it’s mind to suit a good opportunity. 

Btw, you’re suggesting we need to wait and see if it’s a good deal, perhaps you could do that too?

Great signing, much happier with him than RLC who doesn't seem interested in football in general

Excited to see how the midfield 3 of Luiz, Mcginn and Barkley will work.

Potentially the best midfield we have had since the Barry/Petrov/Milner days?

I've been thinking......(dangerous I know but hear me out).

This is a loan signing, alot of other clubs would of been in for his signature - Saints etc. We finished the lowest out of everyone in the Premier League. In that aspect we are the least attractive team to be in for him in theory. How are Purslow, Dean and Lange persuading a player of this calibre to pick us over everyone else. It's brilliant. 

Edited by Lord Willard
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

This is a loan signing, alot of other clubs would of been in for this loan signing - Saints etc. We finished the lowest out of everyone in the Premier League. In that aspect we are the least attractive team to be in for him in theory. How is Purslow, Dean and Lange are persuading a player of this calibre to pick us over everyone else. It's brilliant. 

He didn't choose, he was chosen.

He wasn't available, we muscled our way in there and made it happen.

press conference politics GIF

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

This is a loan signing, alot of other clubs would of been in for his signature - Saints etc. We finished the lowest out of everyone in the Premier League. In that aspect we are the least attractive team to be in for him in theory. How are Purslow, Dean and Lange persuading a player of this calibre to pick us over everyone else. It's brilliant. 

Based on my undr the cosh podcasts I presume Lampard has told him he is going to Villa to help out his mate JT.

It is all an old boys club at times.

Â