Ross Barkley

LondonLax

3 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Would you have turned down Danny Ings?

Personally I think Barkley is perfect for us, strong on the ball, good range of passing, links well with other players and also is fairly tall and robust - something we lack with our three current midfielders.

Perfect!

Not a fan of Barkley, just my opinion. At the end of the day Smith sees something in him, happy for him to prove me wrong. It is a definite upgrade to our midfield, but will he be consistent over the course of a season to make the difference we need? Time will tell.

PS only took 12 months for the club to change its views about loan signings.

1 minute ago, tezzaleed said:
13 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

For goodness sake get a grip.  He's not coming to villa.  Wages of £120k. Would cripple us for ffp.

I mean I'll happily go on record as posting the most instantly ridiculous post in villatalk history with this one.

In your defence, I'm going to safely say you're not even in the same ballpark.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I like trying to work our who’s hand is who’s... I think RB’s are the two top ones like a little dinosaur and dean and Lange are crossing arms behind the shirt 

Is Jeremy Beadle in there somewhere? :crylaugh:

• Haha 1

For every minute now I keep thinking more and more "How the hell did we manage that?" Great business.

On the loan thing I guesswe have an option. Not only based on what TV said, and he's been quite spot on about this transfer for about two weeks now, but also because it makes sense for all parties. Or at least us and RB. First of all I guess he would've cost a pretty big sum of money which we might not have/FFP stops us from spend this summer, but probably have next summer if it all works out well. For RB I guess it's a good move to a big english club who seems to be on the rise atm, but we also just escaped relegation and if things go tits up for some reason (It might happen), then he's still a chelsea player. And for chelsea, well, it's not likely he's in their long term plans anymore. It's not like they loan him out to get some game time and to improve. He's 26 and reaching his peak. He's a player taking up a place in their squad and if it all goes well they get money next summer. I don't know, but it makes sense to me.

Anyway, a great signing. This season seems to become a much more enjoyable season than the last one. I wonder if he'll start on Sunday. I actually doubt he will. He's new, he doesn't really know his new team mates, and you don't change a winning team. Sort of.

• Like 2

I was a bit worried with the links to RLC as although he looks the part, he's very injury prone and his work rate never seemed that great to me either, especially defensively. I was hoping that it was Barkley that we were in for out of the two of them and think he'll bring great energy to our midfield. Really nice to have a number of players who can carry the ball well now as well. Delighted with this!

4 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Not a fan of Barkley, just my opinion. At the end of the day Smith sees something in him, happy for him to prove me wrong. It is a definite upgrade to our midfield, but will he be consistent over the course of a season to make the difference we need? Time will tell.

Their stance was to do with developing players for other teams, if I remember correctly. Barkley is very well established by now, so that's not really an issue. Arguably he can help us just as much as we can help him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

So the club should stick to its guns and miss out on a good opportunity through stubbornness?

Is Martin O’Neil in charge?

1 minute ago, Greenfly said:

Their stance was to do with developing players for other teams, if I remember correctly. Barkley is very well established by now, so that's not really an issue. Arguably he can help us just as much as we can help him.

I’ll bite, it wasn’t developing players, it was we wouldn’t loan players, improve them and then have to give them back without a buy clause. It was in reference to Mings, Tuanzebe and Abraham.

1 minute ago, QldVilla said:

I’ll bite, it wasn’t developing players, it was we wouldn’t loan players, improve them and then have to give them back without a buy clause. It was in reference to Mings, Tuanzebe and Abraham.

I don't know, that was my interpretation. Either way, they were probably wise to realise that this could be a necessary signing, even if it's just to help us consolidate as a PL team.

1 minute ago, avfcDJ said:

So the club should stick to its guns and miss out on a good opportunity through stubbornness?

Is Martin O’Neil in charge?

I didn’t say that. I’m simply pointing they were quite public with that acclimation and 12 months later it’s not relevant. The end of the season will tell us whether it was a good opportunity, he has lacked consistency his whole career.

Â