Ross Barkley

LondonLax

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

At what point is it cheaper to come to an agreement with someone like Lansbury to pay off their contract etc?

Probably last year of his contract but lansbury is well liked by the team and is a good head in the locker room. Worth it to keep him around and keep morale high imo. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, striker said:

Villa have got some player!

Southgate will have to visit the Villa on a regular basis now to watch what should be the spine of the England team.

Always wondered...who is it you support? Sound like a fan, but badged as visiting?

On topic: he was at the fulham game, when Jack didn't have a blinder but still scored and created an assist. Expect he'll be watching us many more times this season!

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Not gone down well on Chelsea Twitter. They are starting to think Lampard is a bit if a spoofer, they might be right. They are shocked he's been let go on loan.

Always a good sign when fans don't want a player to leave.

This is potentially a great signing, one that fans of other clubs, and maybe a few of us, will be really surprised by.

He’s certainly not a player on the way down, which makes him very different to some of the other loan signings we’ve made in the past. If anything, he is approaching his peak, he’s a regular in the England squad and has work to do to make sure he makes the squad for the Euros.

As others have said, straightaway it could free up more space for Jack to do his thing, not to mention the threat that Barkley brings himself.

I do think this means that Conor will be first reserve initially, but I don’t think there is any guarantee things will remain that way. This signing means that if McGinn has a dip in form like last year, he will be able to take a break with Conor stepping in.

It just gives us a lot more options, Barkley and Jack both playing narrower as no10s behind the striker for example, with Luiz, McGinn and Conor in midfield.

We are definitely going in the right direction. Would it be greedy to ask for another striker still? Even if just a back up...

• Like 1

As for the point on whether this includes some kind of buying option, quite simply if they have let him go (and paying some of the wages to do so) then he has no place at Chelsea.

The main obstacle to him not coming for longer will be Lampard holding on to his job

...Good luck Frank!

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Probably last year of his contract but lansbury is well liked by the team and is a good head in the locker room. Worth it to keep him around and keep morale high imo. 

It's a business mate. I'm sure the players will be able to manage without us needing to pay someone to cheer them up. 

37 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Does probably mean Ramsey not getting much air time for the next couple of months or so (until injuries/fatigue start setting in) but gives us a massive step up in quality for both the first team and the bench (assuming he replaces Conor).

Great loan,  doesn't significantly help Chelsea (and actually hurts them based on what some fans are saying),  massively helps us.  Great business. 

I would guess that Ramsey may go out on loan to a good EFL club in order to get 30+ games and some first team experience behind him, and as an alternative to getting the odd ten minutes and League Cup game with us. 

• Like 2

The more you think about it, the more perfect this signing is.

I imagine the discussion went something along the lines of :

"We're lacking an attacking centre mid. Someone who can score goals. But he needs to be the right age to fit in with the group and tick the box for what we're trying to do here as a squad. He needs to be motivated and he needs to improve on what we already have. It would be a bonus if he was an established international with a point to prove".
"Leave it with me"

Absolutely delighted with this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Watkins will really benefit from him i think. Sees a pass quickly and releases the striker.

To be honest Jack, McGinn and Luiz can pick a pass too. surely that can only be good news for the attacking players. 

I think what this signing gives us is a bit more than Jack in the final third. I'm a huge Hourihane fan and pound for pound you will do well to get better value (maybe McGinn) but he lacks pace and the ability to go past people. Barkley gives us another dimension and another threat from midfield. He is a proper box to box midfielder with a great engine and he is fit and ready to hit the ground running. 

• Like 2

Â