Ross Barkley

LondonLax

16 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

He was great tonight but that's been a long, long time coming. We can't be buying him because these performances, unfortunately, are the exception not the rule

How do we know the poor performances weren't the exception to the rule?

4 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

How do we know the poor performances weren't the exception to the rule?

Because there have been so many of them 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I think Barkley has something to offer to this team and for the right price I would certainly want him. Unfortunately I don't see Chelsea offering him to us for the right price.

Negotiate hard like we did for Sanson. 

Start at £5mil plus Josh Onomah.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

The bond between him and some fans of VillaTalk and Twitter is broken.

He signs, on the first home game of next season, 40,000 Villa fans will cheer his name. Don't be confused by a small minority of forum / social media users mate.

He's quality. I'd sign him in a heartbeat. 

I really hope the board don’t make a decision based on Twitter and Villatalk 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

I really hope the board don’t make a decision based on Twitter and Villatalk 

Don't say that, the match thread is full of great stuff. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think it's fitness.

You saw in previous games he looked like he was treading water. He'd turn and couldn't get away from players. 

Against West Brom and tonight he looks back to the physical form he showed in those first few games before his injury. 

I think it's been dismissed way too much.

yep I think its fitness probably exasperated by covid.  I think we'd be lucky to have a fit and firing barkley

my concern though would be that he does tend to get hamstring injuries on a regular basis and if it takes him 4 or 5 games of shite to get his fitness back can you afford to pay him big bucks and have the rest of the team carry him through those periods

3 hours ago, turvontour said:

Negotiate hard like we did for Sanson. 

Start at £5mil plus Josh Onomah.

The wages he earns will be at least 5 million a year too

I saw him make a tackle today. That makes 5 all season to go with 4 interceptions and 7 fouls given away in 1400 minutes and 22 appearances (16 starts).

That's 2 in his last 2 games. Shame he doesn't want to get stuck in 90% of the time because against Liverpool he cost us the game by not bothering to close his man down. And I'm sure there are plenty of other times when he has done it that aren't coming to mind at this instant. 

There's a lot of unknowns with regards to Barkley, that only the coaching and medical staff know. They probably should have brought him back slowly in the beginning, rather than dropping him in the deep end, this was a huge error.

Saying that, he has the next 5 games to show what he is capable of, I don't think it will change the opinion of the club, but at least he can leave with our gratitude should he play well and we go on a run.

• Like 1

Being a good player is more than ability, it’s mentality and fitness.

He was much better today but having watched him walk around not trying for 4 months it’s takes more than one good game to think he’s any good. 

He’s been improving recently in comparison to what he was doing, has to do it for the next 5 for us to even consider taking him permanently. 

• Like 1

He isn’t the future of this club. I hope he smashes it out of the park for the next few games but if he does I’d question the motivation - probably just wants a move and a big pay day. He’s proven himself to be petulant and unreliable. Hope he has a great end of season and gets himself a good move, then who knows. Shouldn’t be at Villa though. 

The simple fact is that we’ve had an entire season to judge him. It was great to see him improve over the last two games but he’ll be assessed over the entire season. He’s not a kid just breaking through he’s a seasoned pro who hasn’t really made it at the top level. I believe that got him on loan as a stop gap until we can spend more and be less restricted by FFP. He’s hardly been a runaway success for whatever reason. Those reasons could be fitness or could be attitude but both have been an issue in his career, which has faltered many times. I’d be nervous about making a short term problem a long term and expensive problem. It’s a no for me. 

• Like 1

I wonder if another season loan is on the cards. Probably best for all parties. 

No way Chelsea can sell him for big money.

Highly doubt a club bigger than us wants him. 

And we get another year of a potential quality player. 

Can't see us wanting him for another loan and paying his wages to block progression of players like JJ and Chukwuemeka. I don't see us needing any Loan signings next season

• Like 2

He's on 100k a week. He is 27 years old.

It will be his last big time long term contract.

It doesn't make any financial sense and there are far too many concerns.

If we can get him on another loan then let's try again (which I think we can possibly, not many clubs will be queuing up to drop money on him. Hopefully Bruce ain't in a job)

Â