Ross Barkley

LondonLax

Thought Barkley was good last night; didn't pull up any tree's but passed the ball around intelligently which can't be said for some of the others.

He creates some great opportunities in the wide areas with his passing; but unfortunately we don't have the quality to capitalise on it.

He's now got a chance to prove he's worth buying; but I'm still skeptical for the fee's previously mentioned from Chelsea.

• Like 2

Looks really short of confidence and not shown anywhere near enough to be bought permanently. Every manager he has had, has struggled to get the most out of him.

I thinks its an issue of football intelligence, he has ability but makes poor decisions consistently which has stopped him from pushing on.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Thought he looked a bit fitter today. Actually drove forward with the ball like he did at the start of the season. 

Listening to the For the Love of Paul McGrath pod this morning and Paddy said he’s been told by three good sources that Barkley had long-Covid. 

If it’s true that explains a lot about his performances, but not why he’s been played while not fit. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I've never really understood why some react to him like he's a Lescott type. 

My answer to that - and I suspect some others - is that he showed a very poor and disrespectful attitude to both the team and the club when he was substituted a couple of times. That screamed out "I'm bigger than this club is ..... how dare you sub me ?". So yes, definitely shades of Lescottitis there !

Thought he had a decent game yesterday. Certainly a talented player in terms of his distribution but way off the pace - whether that's a physical or mental thing - so needs to repeat that application but with greater industry. With Luiz playing so poorly this season and McGinn not sure if he's coming or going, there is a huge hole that needs filling and he could be the perfect fit but only if he gets the wheels turning and quickly ! 

Edited by Paul33

2 hours ago, Paul33 said:

My answer to that - and I suspect some others - is that he showed a very poor and disrespectful attitude to both the team and the club when he was substituted a couple of times. That screamed out "I'm bigger than this club is ..... how dare you sub me ?". So yes, definitely shades of Lecottitis there !

Thought he had a decent game yesterday. Certainly a talented player in terms of his distribution but way off the pace - whether that's a physical or mental thing - so needs to repeat that application but with greater industry. With Luiz playing so poorly this season and McGinn not sure if he's coming or going, there is a huge hole that needs filling and he could be the perfect fit but only if he gets the wheels turning and quickly ! 

See I didn't read it like that at all.

I read his reaction as pure frustration at himself for his performances and knowing that this season, which was meant to boost his career, was hearing in one direction.

• Like 1

I thought he had a chance of making the euro squad in October and by February I was furious if I saw his name in the starting XI ahead of academy players. That's quite a dramatic drop off in performance which I would attribute to off-field issues only. Seems like his game is a bit clouded, the best things he does are instinctive muscle-memory reactions. If he has any time to think at all, even time he's created for himself by finding space, he mostly plays a bad ball or has a wild shot. His set pieces are mainly poor too. 

If we could get him for a lower price than the one thats been banded around then I'd probably still go for him, get his head straight and at full fitness and he's one of the first names on the team sheet 

23 hours ago, Awol said:

Listening to the For the Love of Paul McGrath pod this morning and Paddy said he’s been told by three good sources that Barkley had long-Covid. 

If it’s true that explains a lot about his performances, but not why he’s been played while not fit. 

I don't think he's the only one.

• Like 1

Being the schizophrenic football fan I am - I’ve been thinking that if Berkeley’s fee has reduced drastically and he adjusts his wage demands to fit within our structure(sub £80k) then if he performs near the levels of earlier this season then could see merit in signing him. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Being the schizophrenic football fan I am - I’ve been thinking that if Berkeley’s fee has reduced drastically and he adjusts his wage demands to fit within our structure(sub £80k) then if he performs near the levels of earlier this season then could see merit in signing him. 

Too many questions marks for me now. He appears to be winding down either way. He'll want 4 years.

It does not make any financial sense. 

Let's not go back to being that club.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, thabucks said:

West Brom game was encouraging compared to what we've seen. If he performs well between now and the end of the season, maybe we'd consider something? There are mitigating circumstances surrounding Barkley - the injury, the lack of training due to the covid outbreak etc., getting back to form and fitness, his mental state when his career is up in the air - it really depends on how much of an effect they've had on the guy, or if he just is more or less finished at a decent level. 

I think the best thing to do is keep an open mind and see what he does from now until the end of the season. He'll have to do a lot, though. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

West Brom game was encouraging compared to what we've seen. If he performs well between now and the end of the season, maybe we'd consider something? There are mitigating circumstances surrounding Barkley - the injury, the lack of training due to the covid outbreak etc., getting back to form and fitness, his mental state when his career is up in the air - it really depends on how much of an effect they've had on the guy, or if he just is more or less finished at a decent level. 

I think the best thing to do is keep an open mind and see what he does from now until the end of the season. He'll have to do a lot, though. 

In all honestly I agree with this. Think it's best to keep an open mind in general about players.

However, as you say, he has a lot to prove from now on til the end of the season for us to consider this. And I believe it would have to be at a very reasonable price from Chelsea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

In all honestly I agree with this. Think it's best to keep an open mind in general about players.

However, as you say, he has a lot to prove from now on til the end of the season for us to consider this. And I believe it would have to be at a very reasonable price from Chelsea.

100%, yeah. It also depends on prices and availability of other players on the market, and where we see the best deal. 

Â