Ross Barkley

LondonLax

Honestly, he’s so good he can play well in most positions but his full creativity would be unleashed in the centre and we would seriously hurt teams with Jack supplying & working with some exciting wingers and breaking through the middle (amazing dribbler, wonderful close control but I think his passing is underestimated too) to get goals and assists. He can move between the wing and centre too, mixing it up and interchanging with high quality & intelligent attackers. We would seriously scare the shit out of some teams if we can get this going... he would work so well with Barkley too (attempting to stay on topic 😉😆)

He’s done fabulously at LW but I think it was more out of need that he ended up playing there. The team was poor and extra quality alongside Jack will make us a major threat to most teams.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 4

I like Barkley. A solid CM/AM. However if the choice is Barkley central or Jack I'd have Jack every day. His ceiling is just higher, his running with the ball is better, he's more creative and with better wide players to carry the load I think he still gets near the stats he did last season with a free role centrally. I have a good pal coaching at Chelski and had this same discussion last season with him. We both agreed Jack was overall a better player centrally. I think with a better LW/WF Jack can do his thing without the concern of him dropping so deep at times. Especially out wide

I think at times people just look at the stats with Jack playing wide and see natural position. They are superb and I understand the argument but I think his future lies centrally with the team built literally around him. He's scoring goals and assisting for fun these days, I don't see that stopping anytime soon no matter where he plays. Space or no space he does what he wants and I think we're missing a trick in the middle without him there.  

29 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I like Barkley. A solid CM/AM. However if the choice is Barkley central or Jack I'd have Jack every day. His ceiling is just higher, his running with the ball is better, he's more creative and with better wide players to carry the load I think he still gets near the stats he did last season with a free role centrally. I have a good pal coaching at Chelski and had this same discussion last season with him. We both agreed Jack was overall a better player centrally. I think with a better LW/WF Jack can do his thing without the concern of him dropping so deep at times. Especially out wide

I think at times people just look at the stats with Jack playing wide and see natural position. They are superb and I understand the argument but I think his future lies centrally with the team built literally around him. He's scoring goals and assisting for fun these days, I don't see that stopping anytime soon no matter where he plays. Space or no space he does what he wants and I think we're missing a trick in the middle without him there.  

Yeah Jack is WAY better than Barkley but Barkley is better than many of our other players. On top form, he’s better than McGinn who needs time and work on his fitness to get back up to speed.

We need options through the squad and rotation: 

McGinn and Barkley rotating at CM

Luiz as DM

Jack as AM (Barkley can play here at times and Jack go LW - options)

Rashica/Sarr/Benrahma LW

Traore RW

Watkins CF....

it would be amazing and oh so dangerous!

It’s impossible to sign a player like Jack, he’s simply too good and just gets better & better. Losing him would devastate us and we would become a very poor team, need to sign some genuine quality to supplement him and he will be happy & we will be flying then.

Agreed, we completely need to build the side around him and he will continue to get goals & assists. Hoping Luiz is staying for the long term too, he is our next best player and the only one truly comparable in terms of talent & potential.

Edited by Jas10

4 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

If I had roughly 30 million left in the transfer budget right now I would buy 

Rashica, Will Hughes and loan Ruben Loftus-Cheeck.

I would then look for opportunities for loans in defence for example you would think Tuanzebe would be available for loan and well god knows at left back....

Like you I think it would be best for the team if Jack moved into the middle.

I would also like to see the players who have no chance being in the team this year moved on or paid off to save some costs and keep a tight unit.

Edited by paul514

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Really don't get all this talk of Jack moving into the middle. I know it might seem like he's the type of player who's playstyle works best in that position but he's best work have by far all come from the left wing.

Yeah I agree. I can count Jack's great games centrally on one hand at this level. Last week when central he looked lost at times and had the ball pinched off him several times.

On the left wing he is superb. With the added depth of quality to the team they are not going to be able to double/ triple bank him anymore and he'll be even more dangerous there

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

Yeah I agree. I can count Jack's great games centrally on one hand at this level. Last week when central he looked lost at times and had the ball pinched off him several times.

On the left wing he is superb. With the added depth of quality to the team they are not going to be able to double/ triple bank him anymore and he'll be even more dangerous there

Strange he looked lost as he played the previous season in Championship central and got 6 goals 8 assists

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Who would people prefer, Ross Barkley or Rubens Loftus-Cheek? Or could we accommodate both I’d we buy one of them?

Not really watched much of either of them in the last few years as neither has really played that much, but Loftus-Cheek is still young-ish and was good the few times I saw him at Palace and Barkley was really good at times for Everton.

Doubt we have room for both even if one of them was a loan.

It’s not CM though is it, it’s the central role in a 4-2-3-1. As far as I can remember that’s mainly where he’s played over the past 3 years or more. AEG has been on the left for the most part over the last 2 years. Unfortunately.

He sits centrally spraying the ball to the (hopefully) new quick wingers and he slides the front man through. Jack’s best features are slide rule passes, drawing players in making room for others (or winning free kicks in dangerous areas) and shooting from distance.

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

If I had roughly 30 million left in the transfer budget right now I would buy 

Rashica, Will Hughes and loan Ruben Loftus-Cheeck.

I would then look for opportunities for loans in defence for example you would think Tuanzebe would be available for loan and well god knows at left back....

Like you I think it would be best for the team if Jack moved into the middle.

I would also like to see the players who have no chance being in the team this year moved on or paid off to save some costs and keep a tight unit.

If we have to pay them off we’re not going to save any costs. Lansbury and Taylor are clearly contributing off the pitch, are both well liked, and are two of our most senior players in a young squad. Would be crazy to just give them a pile of cash to clear off.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

If we have to pay them off we’re not going to save any costs. Lansbury and Taylor are clearly contributing off the pitch, are both well liked, and are two of our most senior players in a young squad. Would be crazy to just give them a pile of cash to clear off.

Our squad is close to or over the 25 man limit already thou. Will need some more outs before we can have ins (that we can also register once the window closes)

Guess Wesley won't be registered until after the new year and one or 2 keepers will be offloaded but that still leaves us at around 25 even without new signings.

29 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Who would people prefer, Ross Barkley or Rubens Loftus-Cheek? Or could we accommodate both I’d we buy one of them?

RLC Achilles rupture season before last is slightly off putting. Terrible injury. Only 200 odd minutes last season worried he's not been put through the paces. Barkley great player that should be playing every week but looking at Chelsea forums some think he should start this week makes me think he isn't that far out the main team

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

RLC Achilles rupture season before last is slightly off putting. Terrible injury. Only 200 odd minutes last season worried he's not been put through the paces. Barkley great player that should be playing every week but looking at Chelsea forums some think he should start this week makes me think he isn't that far out the main team

I think that’s the major concern with RLC. They’re both quality players but no player can make an impact from the treatment table. 

1 hour ago, sne said:

Our squad is close to or over the 25 man limit already thou. Will need some more outs before we can have ins (that we can also register once the window closes)

Guess Wesley won't be registered until after the new year and one or 2 keepers will be offloaded but that still leaves us at around 25 even without new signings.

Then the rubbish will have to sit outside of that squad....

You can’t not sign what is needed because there is some ex championship legacy player just hanging around. You only do that if you have zero money in the budget 

6 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Then the rubbish will have to sit outside of that squad....

You can’t not sign what is needed because there is some ex championship legacy player just hanging around. You only do that if you have zero money in the budget 

I was responding to keeping the likes of Taylor and Lansbury and so on in the squad. Obviously we need to make signings to improve the squad but having expensive unregistered players sitting around on the count of them being nice is not the smart way to go.

Â