Ross Barkley

LondonLax

He's great on his day, but when he's out of form he's a liability we just can't afford.  He wasn't just flat tonight, he was really, really poor. Wasn't much better against Southampton to be honest, but the goal obviously helped.  With Jack being double marked it was down to him to try and make use of a bit more space, but he didn't manage it at all. Disappointing, I was really pleased when we signed him, but as it stands I wouldn't be trying to make it permanent in the summer.

• Like 3

Next season I think I'd rather see Grealish conduct the attack from the 10 spot with Traore and a new LW, unless we cab buy Ross on the cheap and not have to guarantee him a starting role.

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

Surely that sort of agreement doesnt exist.

Seems ludicrous, guess we'll soon find out.

It's how his ego reacts to being benched which might be interesting, he wasn't happy with getting substituted. 

22 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's how his ego reacts to being benched which might be interesting, he wasn't happy with getting substituted. 

I wouldn't be starting him against Arsenal. Put Jack in the number 10 position with Traore and Trez out wide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The problem is that barkley is what we need, someone moving and making himself available for a pass in the final 3rd, playing in the space that is created by Jack being double teamed, making runs that opens up channels for Jack and ollie, the only player in our squad who can do that is Barkley 

Of all of those things the only thing he did was make the run for ollies shot 

Everything else he either didn't do or was really poor at it, his form and fitness is terrible, he looks way off the pace and worse than that he also looks like he's trying too hard, not doing the simple stuff and trying to take too many people on

His lethargy in tracking back is killing us too 

Sounds like Jesse Lingard tonight, everything Barkley wasn’t .

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

To be fair, he might have been upset with his performance. He knows perfectly well he was rubbish. 

Deserves to be benched, he's been poor 5 games running (yes, he was poor against Southampton too) 

Shockingly poor tonight.

Got close to Lingard for the first goal but didn’t bother to make any sort of challenge. Could possibly have prevented the goal if he’d done so. I wonder if Emi was slightly late getting down to it because he’d expected a challenge to come in. 

Certainly shouldn’t be starting the next game and I’ll be shocked if he does. I was critical of Luiz tonight but I’d be interested to see if replacing Barkley might have a positive impact on him and McGinn. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately he looks well off the levels we’d want, and the worrying bit is that it can’t possibly be fatigue because he was absent with injury for 2 months. He seems to be slowing our play down,  when he isn’t giving the ball away, seemingly always checking backwards with the ball......then try’s to do too much, running into 3 or 4 opposition players. For me it’s clear that there are certain types of opposition where Barkley is a liability, and we’ve seen it.....teams that work hard. Leeds, Southampton, West Ham....even Burnley, perhaps. When the going is tough and intense I think it proves too much for Barkley, he just can’t get to the physical and concentration intensity levels needed..... and ends up disappearing as any sort of effective performer. At 27/28yrs old i don’t see that changing, unfortunately. Against teams that, perhaps, expect to beat Villa he is afforded that bit more time and space to showcase his ability, but that doesn’t happen very often now. I think we have to start Sanson against Arsenal and let Ross have a look at the game from the bench, a bit of a reality check and time to reflect. He wasn’t the only player off of it last night, far from it, but Villa have to have an eye on the future months/seasons, and he’s not our player and Sanson is. 

• Like 1

Doesn't look like he'll be worth £30m in the summer. Either isn't fit or can't stay fit or can't move. The odd goal or flashy touch here and there isn't enough. If he was 100% fit I'd say he could be a great player for us but I doubt he ever will be.  Looks the type of player that's only able for 1 game week too, fixture pile ups find him out.

Edited by villa89

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If there ever was an image of a luxury player this guy should be the cover of it.

We don’t often agree but I do think you’re right here.

He’s great against the poorer teams and teams that don’t press but it seems like we’re carrying him in some matches. 

Needs a spell on the bench. Hopefully it’s permanent if Sanson does well. 

On 30/01/2021 at 09:47, Steero113 said:

This is a player who is a level (or two) above the signings we have made for years. He is clearly quality and the whole fan base was raving about him just 10 weeks ago. Some were even saying £40m was worth it and get it done. 

We have had a few very disappointing results where we have played well, dominated in some instances, and luck/VAR/pure shithousery has gone against us and we've not picked up points and you post this?????

The guy has just come back from 10 weeks injured and for all you know may have had Covid-19 as well and may be struggling slightly more than other. Cut him some sodding slack. Once he is back to full fitness we are a better team with him in it. 

For me, he was blowing majorly in both games since his return and should have been taken off at 60mins.

Sent back to Chelsea, jesus...

Where's your excuses today for Barkley's performance last night..? Is he still blowing? Recovering from injury? Needing minutes?

If Chelsea rated him and he was as good as half of this forum worships him to be, he wouldn't be anywhere near VP!

I repeat the statement that I made a week ago, I would have sent him back to Chelsea and I still would now.

Sorry if you and others think that's "hysteria" but I stand by it!  He's shite!

• Like 1

I want it to work so bad, I was excited when we signed him and thought he was the kind of high profile player we needed to push on.  I think if it's a game when we expect to be on the front foot throughout he's fine but in other games he costs us too much in the middle. 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

If there ever was an image of a luxury player this guy should be the cover of it.

Absolutely spot on. I'm also disappointed that he's stopping Ramsey progressing. I think Loftus-cheek would have been a better option. Tbf though that's with hindsight!

• Like 1

He needs to be accommodated way more than we're able to because he doesn't do defensive work. I think we'd be a lot better off with Sanson on, and McGinn in Barkley's position. 

EDIT - to add to this, I think he's come here wanting to be one of the focal points/stars, when really we need more of a supporting role from someone in his position. Someone eager to offer an option, hassle the defence, make useful runs etc. so we can get the best out of Jack, Traore and Watkins. 

Edited by lexicon

Â