Ross Barkley

LondonLax

Reminds me a lot of Conor weirdly. I feel like he's kind of anonymous most of the time and then pops in with a goal out of nowhere.

I didn't mention this back then but this was his performance during the Leicester game. Felt like he was anonymous for most of the game then scores a long shot in dying minutes and we win.

• Like 1

Ran the most for us today. Can't believe he ran more than Watkins but Barkley covered 0.7km more. Good work Ross.

Still feel he's a still nursing the injury to be honest. Doesn't looks comfortable running at full tilt.

Outstanding header. Gave the scalenes a right old work out with that one.

• Like 2

Looks to still be running out of dynamic movement after 65 mins.

Hopefully his fitness improves as he us good, maybe moving the ball quicker will also help his fitness as he dwells on the ball and makes more work for himself and puts us backwards in several attacks.

He made an interesting point in his post match interview last night. He said he felt like he’s played more games than he’s had training sessions. Which probably isn’t too far from the truth. 

When he came in we had a lot of back to back games, then he got injured, and now we’ve games in quick succession again. 

His fitness needs to improve, but that’ll come. He has a lot of quality on the ball. 

31 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

He has a lot of quality on the ball. 

He has. Just a shame he is so god damn slow and lazy to do his job in central midfield. We need more. A lot more. 

Either he has to up his work rate and help SJM and Luiz out, or he has to be far far more prolific going forward. 

He is a superb footballer, and I love watching him having the calm and ability on the ball to do minor Grealish moves in central midfield to set up our attacking plays. Or when he was boxed in by 4-5 Southampton players on the corner flag and found a way out of it, but what he contributes now just isn't enough. We need that CAM to be a bigger presence to dominate midfield. If he isn't, we are essentially just playing with a second striker. And if that's the plan we can find more clinical options than Barkley, or more pacy options to compliment our forward line more. Maybe ideally a young Robbie Keane. Anyway, it's not working for me. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He has. Just a shame he is so god damn slow and lazy to do his job in central midfield. We need more. A lot more. 

Either he has to up his work rate and help SJM and Luiz out, or he has to be far far more prolific going forward. 

He is a superb footballer, and I love watching him having the calm and ability on the ball to do minor Grealish moves in central midfield to set up our attacking plays. Or when he was boxed in by 4-5 Southampton players on the corner flag and found a way out of it, but what he contributes now just isn't enough. We need that CAM to be a bigger presence to dominate midfield. If he isn't, we are essentially just playing with a second striker. And if that's the plan we can find more clinical options than Barkley, or more pacy options to compliment our forward line more. Maybe ideally a young Robbie Keane. Anyway, it's not working for me. 

Having watched him over the years I don’t think he is lazy, I just don’t think he’s fit enough to do the running right now. He looks like he is preserving himself during games right now so he’s not dead on his arse after 30 minutes. 

As he gets fitter I’m sure we will see more of the dirty work from him. 

Edited by villan-scott

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Odd post, look at the stats, he ran more than anyone else in the team last night. He may not make the tackles of Luiz and McGinn but neither can match his ability to join and support an attack.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Odd post, look at the stats, he ran more than anyone else in the team last night. He may not make the tackles of Luiz and McGinn but neither can match his ability to join and support an attack.

If he ran more than anyone else, fair play. But I'd like a link to that. 

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Ran the most for us today. Can't believe he ran more than Watkins but Barkley covered 0.7km more. Good work Ross.

Still feel he's a still nursing the injury to be honest. Doesn't looks comfortable running at full tilt.

Outstanding header. Gave the scalenes a right old work out with that one.

Where do you find these stats Tomaszk? 

He wasn't known as a particularly lazy player before he came here, so I find it a bit odd that he has picked up that label. Perhaps it's partly playing up with Ollie, who makes David Goggins seem like he could do with sharpening up his act.

It could also be tactical. Perhaps the gaffer doesn't want him bombing around the pitch at a million miles an hour, instead he wants him available in the pocket, or looking to make the run in behind. I don't recall Grealish being a particularly aggressive presser of the ball when covering for him, but it seems we hold different players to different standards. 

Anyway I tought he had a good game last night and his general work rate has improved. Now it's more a case of knowing where to run and when. As we should have learned last season, that will come with time. Barkley being experienced in the league is not the same as being experienced in this system. 

I certainly think there are times when we could do with a different tactical option, whether that be in the 10 position or not, maybe this is something Sanson can provide. 

Deano On Barkley:

There’s never been any discussions about signing him permanently. We contacted Chelsea at the start of the season to take him a season-long loan and we’re thankful to Chelsea that they allowed him to come here. He’s played football and he’s playing with a smile on his face and enjoying his games at the moment.”

“He’s not 100 per cent yet [after injury], but he’s getting there. He’s actually played more minutes than he’s had training minutes over the last 12 weeks. Because we were all in self-isolation, he was back to fitness but couldn’t do any group training so he’s having to get his fitness back during matches. He got 90 minutes tonight so he’s getting better and better and it was a superb header today.”

Make of that what you will? 🤔

• Like 1

I remember someone (I thought it was Grealish but now I'm thinking Gabby) saying that when Gerard Houllier came in he instantly told him to stop running about as much and conserve his energy because it's just a waste. The best players use their energy where most effective so they still have the mental and physical capability to pop up with a perfect volley or a run into the box at the exact right time. I think you'll find that rather than being lazy, Barkley has been coached well and ensures he's able to turn up at the right place and right time and still have power and accuracy, like all the top players.

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I remember someone (I thought it was Grealish but now I'm thinking Gabby) saying that when Gerard Houllier came in he instantly told him to stop running about as much and conserve his energy because it's just a waste. The best players use their energy where most effective so they still have the mental and physical capability to pop up with a perfect volley or a run into the box at the exact right time. I think you'll find that rather than being lazy, Barkley has been coached well and ensures he's able to turn up at the right place and right time and still have power and accuracy, like all the top players.

I'm sure it's been said to many different players over the years, but I recall O'Neill instructing Gabby to do this, as he wanted him to still have energy in the tank to scare defenders right until the end.

• Like 1

Â