Ross Barkley

LondonLax

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

He needs to work harder off the ball i agree but the link-up play with Grealish is a thing of beauty so I still like him. 

I think you cant always play McGinn and Barkley in the same midfield and leaves too much for Luiz to do. When it works its awesome like vs Liverpool but wheb it doesnt we are easily exposed

• Like 1

He needs to try harder than what he’s doing.

He just watches the opposition stroll past.

He doesn’t put in a tackle.

Absolutely not what we need.  If he’s unfit, he needs to be benched.  If he’s fit enough for 30 minutes, then come on at 60 minutes.  If he’s fit enough for 60, then for those 60 minutes show a little effort.

Smith is definitely partly to blame for this for leaving him on so long, but makes you wonder what kind of agreement we have as part of him being here.  Play if ‘fit’? 

If he’s fit, then he’s not working hard enough, if he’s not fit, then he should be on the bench. Either way he shouldn’t be starting if he’s unwilling/unable to track a man or put in a tackle.

Theres a player in there somewhere,  but a couple of 30yd screamers a season and few flicks a game aren’t enough in this day and age.  

He drastically needs to up his off the ball game.  He only needs to watch Grealish play to see the effort and work rate required to be a top player.  If he could even do 10% of that he’d be a better player for it.

The rest of the team are working their socks off trying to get the ball back - wonder how long before they start to think why it’s ok for him to stroll around but not them?

Step it up Ross.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think you cant always play McGinn and Barkley in the same midfield and leaves too much for Luiz to do. When it works its awesome like vs Liverpool but wheb it doesnt we are easily exposed

Dunno, when Barkley was out it was El Ghazi who replaced him, and it's not like his defensive contribution is great by any means. 

I think it's more the case of McGinn (and Barkley) not being in great shape/form right now

Think he's been judged harshly since he came back - it was a fairly long injury and he might have had Covid too. He'll need some time to get back up to speed, there's no magic wand you can wave - we'll have to bear with him while he finds that sharpness again. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Think he's been judged harshly since he came back - it was a fairly long injury and he might have had Covid too. He'll need some time to get back up to speed, there's no magic wand you can wave - we'll have to bear with him while he finds that sharpness again. 

I don’t agree with this.

we’re Aston Villa, not the ‘Chelsea Players Rehabilitation Club’.

This exactly what we were doing with Drinkwater situation, ‘getting him up to speed’. Completely different calibre of player, but same mistake.

He can get up to speed out of the team, or the number of minutes that his fitness warrants. If we didn’t have the players who can fill in, fair enough. But we had a player in a hot streak flying high in confidence that we dropped so that a loan player can get his sharpness back by strolling around?  

He’s blowing out of his arse after 45 minutes, he needs to be hooked off.

This is probably on Smiths head, but 81 minutes? The last 30 of which he was a liability?

Shouldn’t start.  Come on after 60. 30 minutes to run around and put in a shift.  Earn his place, not be gifted it.

• Like 1

Just now, Thug said:

I don’t agree with this.

we’re Aston Villa, not the ‘Chelsea Players Rehabilitation Club’.

This exactly what we were doing with Drinkwater situation, ‘getting him up to speed’. Completely different calibre of player, but same mistake.

He can get up to speed out of the team, or the number of minutes that his fitness warrants. If we didn’t have the players who can fill in, fair enough. But we had a player in a hot streak flying high in confidence that we dropped so that a loan player can get his sharpness back by strolling around?  

He’s blowing out of his arse after 45 minutes, he needs to be hooked off.

This is probably on Smiths head, but 81 minutes? The last 30 of which he was a liability?

Shouldn’t start.  Come on after 60. 30 minutes to run around and put in a shift.  Earn his place, not be gifted it.

He can't - there's no substitute for the real thing IMO. 

The only way that he'll be able to get up to match readiness is by pushing himself and tiring himself out so he can come back better the next time. It's not ideal for us, but we don't have many players of his level at the club and when he's up to speed, he'll be an asset in the context of the season as a whole. If we don't do that, then he won't be. No risk, no reward, as it were. 

1 minute ago, Thug said:

Well I hope he ups his game today. 

I would love for it all to come good.

I think we've seen improvement in the games since he's come back - he's a very talented player, genuinely two-footed by the looks of it, so we'll benefit massively if it does come good. 

In terms of criticism, I think he'd do well to keep things simple at times and perhaps just release the ball a bit quicker. 

3 hours ago, sne said:

He's a player we could only dream about signing at this point last year. This year we need to dream smarter.

For this season he's a good player to have on loan. When fit he makes us better and even when as now he's a bit away from form he's still a good option to have. For next season thou he still has a thing or two to prove to be worth the outlay imo. He'd cost a lot to sign and a lot on wages. Unless he can stay fit for the rest of the season and get back to the attitude and form he showed against Plop I'd spend the money elsewhere. 

I put it down to coming back from injury and not wanting to risk a new one but for me he looked hesitant going into challenges and not 100% committed to the cause against Burnley (I get that since they are thugs and he is playing for his next contract but still) and he also looked slow both in feet and thought. 

20 games left to shine.

Summed up better than some of us put it.

• Thanks 1

Proving there why he's worth a spot in the team, although until the goal i wouldn't have been against him coming off at half time.

Still not sure where I sit on him (innuendo not intended)

Edited by MrBlack

Â