Ross Barkley

LondonLax

29 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think he was better than the picture painted on here. Not great, but had we won that match as we should have and deserved to, I think this Barkley talk would have been very different. Especially if his crossbar strike went in.

He looks rusty and I hope Sanson can contribute. Do I think we should sign Barkley? Lets wait until May to call it.

But do we need a bigger goal threat from whoever plays CAM? For sure. Absolutely yes.

We create plenty, but aren't scoring enough.

Agree - think it was his best game since he came back from his long hiatus. 

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

I see your point and in all honestly Jack is of such a high calibre that he can play in pretty much any position so I'm with you there. I think he works really well on the wing though and the stats are showing this. if hypothetically we had a superb winger on the left as an option then I think I'd be more inclined to play Jack centrally as a 10, but this is not the case. Our wingers aren't bad, that's not my point, but good enough to force Jack centrally? nope.

I agree he will play where ever he is asked and perform admirally but that's because he is so bloody good, If any team in Europe that plays in the CL were to sign Jack it would never ever be as a left winger as good as he is there he's a better No 10 he's stated it himself that is where he prefers to play, as a No 8 2nd choice and hates the left wing lol  

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

Agree - think it was his best game since he came back from his long hiatus. 

First half I thought he was excellent. He was unlucky with the one that hit the bar. If that had gone in we would be painting a different picture. Small margins!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Barkley is only good when we are on the front foot. When we are defending hes nowhere to be seen and his overall defense contribution is poor. 

People seem to love to poke Traore with the 'didn't track back again' mantra like he can teleport back in defense and help Cash out just like that yet Barkley does it every game and gets away with it. It's also a reason why Mcginn or Douglas never move away from the middle to help the full backs defend because they cant leave it undefended when in reality Barkley should be there for them to move out to the sides.

Completely agree with this. I don't see Barkley as a 'team player'. I noticed him barely running in the 2nd half and he completely pulled out of 2 tackles he could easily have won. 

I see similarities with him and how Darren Bent used to play in that he only comes to life when he has the ball and he's lazy without it! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Enterprising first half last night, really unlucky not to score. Needed to come off around the 60 minute mark though.

I don't think he was unlucky. I think he butchered a chance at open goal by trying to blast it rather than place it

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I don't think he was unlucky. I think he butchered a chance at open goal by trying to blast it rather than place it

It wasn't like that at all. It came to him quickly and he had to volley it before the goal was covered. Almost no-one else on the pitch could have got that snap volley on target.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, darrenm said:

It wasn't like that at all. It came to him quickly and he had to volley it before the goal was covered. Almost no-one else on the pitch could have got that snap volley on target.

Exactly. It was great, instinctive volley.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, darrenm said:

Then he could have taken a touch before hitting it. It was a great attempt but he should have scored in my opinion. It’s a missed chance. 

Having said that Watkins should have scored anyway. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I’ve seen enough to know that I don’t want us to sign him.

Hes non-existent when we don’t have the ball, and for someone as big as he is, he’s scared of putting in any kind of tackle at all.  In a midfield position, that’s criminal.  Once he’s been beaten by a man, he just stopped trying.

When you have a defensive contribution of 0, you need to make up for it going forwards.  He’s got 1 assist and 2 goals this season - he’s only played 9 games - because he got injured running towards the corner flag.

I don’t see a sound investment here.  I see someone who used to be a top prospect, and I can completely see why he’s about 5th choice at Chelsea.

The days of the luxury no 10 have gone, as Ozil has shown.  He either needs to adapt by pulling up his socks and putting in a shift, or he’s gonna end up wasting away.

And I’d rather that wasn’t on a fat contract at Villa Park.

Sanson to replace him, or El Ghazi back in with Jack back into the middle for the next match please.

• Like 2

Undoubted quality and getting back to fitness - I do think we are a bit stretched in the middle when he plays though. 

I can’t understand the major criticisms and I certainly can’t understand calls to send him back to Chelsea. 

• Like 3

Â