Ross Barkley

LondonLax

13 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Yeah, based on returns so far, we'd be smart to pass on signing him. Spend the 30m on a two fullbacks.

That 30m needs to go on a decent pacey left winger, so Jack can get back in the No 10 role we don't need Barkley long term he's to hot and cold. 

I'd hazard a guess any new fullbacks would be young prospects rather than established players.

• Confused 1

I thought he was very poor. Clearly a good player who didn't fancy the Burnley battle. First goal on him. Lots and lots of skirmishes lost because of him.

I thought he should have come off earlier but you see what happens when he does. Davis, embarrassing. Ghazi and Trez as anonymous as they could be. We are very short on quality and it shows.

Ross, you have a lot to prove. We should be helping each other here because we all know there's no future for you at Chelsea.

Do you actually want to play for Aston Villa or just piss about playing 1-2s with Jack Grealish? Not that he does, but Jack's good enough to swan around and do nothing but fancy flicks. You aren't. Sort it out.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I thought he was ace first half, yet second half like everyone else we just lost it and Burnley showed how desperate they were and how much they wanted the 3 points.

Are we relaxed because we have all these points sitting safe, maybe. Are we still getting over this covid crap, possibly. All I know is that if were to make europe, maybe we have to sign another two or so players this january because it's not the first eleven that bugs me, it's our bench and that we have no one who comes on and pops in an equaliser or winner.

Depth and quality on that bench and I think wed be okay to be fair, we may of pulled off a draw or win if we had players who can affect games, all our subs tonight were useless, yet so were the first eleven second half.

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Jack has 6 goals and 7 assists from 13 on the left this season and 0 goals and 3 assists from 5 at #10

And? It's his natural position the goals would come but wouldn't be as important as Watkins would thrive with a more pacey winger that likes to put in early balls, Jack often slows down play to much for Ollie leaving him a bit impotent around the box. Jack as the CAM makes so much sense defenders would be drawn to him winning fouls and leaving space for the wingers, we just need a very good left winger.

2 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

And? It's his natural position the goals would come but wouldn't be as important as Watkins would thrive with a more pacey winger that likes to put in early balls, Jack often slows down play to much for Ollie leaving him a bit impotent around the box. Jack as the CAM makes so much sense defenders would be drawn to him winning fouls and leaving space for the wingers, we just need a very good left winger.

what do you mean "and?"? the stats speak for themselves on this one imo. also with the amount of running Watkins does irrespectable of where Jack plays I don't really believe this to be the case.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

what do you mean "and?"? the stats speak for themselves on this one imo. also with the amount of running Watkins does irrespectable of where Jack plays I don't really believe this to be the case.

Absolutely - Jack doesn't slow down play so much now he has better options around him and he's a bloody fast player as it is. We're better off having him out there as he drops a little too deep when central IMO. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Doesnt look fit to me. You can see how rusty he is. 

Smith haa to take some blame for leaving him on for so long when it clearly showed 2nd half when he was really poor

I agree he doesn't look fully fit or match sharp. You can see why he was left on though when you see who our replacements were. Hasn't shown enough so far to justify spending £30m on him. I think he is too injury prone to risk signing him. 

Interesting this one.

In terms of all our summer signings, he was the "marquee signing", and probably on balance the most exciting on paper (in terms of showing our intent).

However, half way through the season, aside from the "prestige" part of the signing, i think he is the only one of the summer signings where you could question whether the signing was a success.

Still half a season to go, so time will tell.

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

The stats stand up because that's where he has been forced to play it's highly likely the stats could be even better with him playing in his preferred position, Jack is a Perfect No 10 who's been made to play as a left winger through circumstance yes he's done really well there but would over time IMO do so much better centrally with decent wingers. He's a playmaker and should be central. If we had signed Bowen and Benrahma this team would sat in 4th not West Ham. And that is not a slight on the recruitment team I realise not everyone wants to come to Aston Villa.......yet!

3 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

The stats stand up because that's where he has been forced to play it's highly likely the stats could be even better with him playing in his preferred position, Jack is a Perfect No 10 who's been made to play as a left winger through circumstance yes he's done really well there but would over time IMO do so much better centrally with decent wingers. He's a playmaker and should be central. If we had signed Bowen and Benrahma this team would sat in 4th not West Ham. And that is not a slight on the recruitment team I realise not everyone wants to come to Aston Villa.......yet!

I see your point and in all honestly Jack is of such a high calibre that he can play in pretty much any position so I'm with you there. I think he works really well on the wing though and the stats are showing this. if hypothetically we had a superb winger on the left as an option then I think I'd be more inclined to play Jack centrally as a 10, but this is not the case. Our wingers aren't bad, that's not my point, but good enough to force Jack centrally? nope.

I was all for the signing of Barkley but the more I see of him I'm less sure.

Seems to have a lot of baggage,maybe it's a mental thing, maybe it's the drink as others have alluded too.

Seems a signing made to appease Grealish if that's the case, is he a bad egg perhaps? 

I think he was better than the picture painted on here. Not great, but had we won that match as we should have and deserved to, I think this Barkley talk would have been very different. Especially if his crossbar strike went in.

He looks rusty and I hope Sanson can contribute. Do I think we should sign Barkley? Lets wait until May to call it.

But do we need a bigger goal threat from whoever plays CAM? For sure. Absolutely yes.

We create plenty, but aren't scoring enough.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

You can't just cut out games like that just because it suits your narrative. 

Somewhat hypocritically, pretty sure I did that with Wesley last season but I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong to do that.

Also, pretty sure the process of cutting out anomalies is more stringent than this, precisely to avoid people from excluding valid data so as to push their own agenda.

Just some more data I have come up with. Excluding the Liverpool game jack has never had a professional league game where he has scored more than one and only had one other game where he has assisted more than one.

He has never had a game where he had more than 2 goal contributions except for the Liverpool game. Very clearly anomaly. 

Â