Ross Barkley

LondonLax

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It probably wasn’t to be fair. Player of his quality should be scoring though. Even if he has to take it down first. 

Yes I think the Watkins miss was worse. I like Watkins but he never looked like scoring when through on goal. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Sure but it was a historic collapse. How many times does a team not in the top 6 beat any team by scoring 6 or more goals?

I don't think even we got pumped for 5 or more goals by a team other than City last season. 

So your point is?

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

So your point is?

That including that game would not help predict what his future performances at left wing would be because it was an anomaly.

Therefore using the other data we have we can see that in fact Grealish has more goal contributions per game game as a CAM (although small sample size) obviously this doesn't factor in the additional impact he has on the game as a CAM. Where he makes the game Easier for both wingers. Not just Targett when he is a LW himself. 

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

You mean the one in the first half on his left foot which hit the bar? Don't think that was an easy chance. 

Open goal under little pressure and he goes for screamer instead of pass into net. Terrible

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes I think the Watkins miss was worse. I like Watkins but he never looked like scoring when through on goal. 

I don't. He couldn't accelerate away from defender and got ball caught under his feet. Should've toe poked but easy to say in hindsight

Just now, MotoMkali said:

That including that game would not help predict what his future performances at left wing would be because it was an anomaly.

Therefore using the other data we have we can see that in fact Grealish has more goal contributions per game game as a CAM (although small sample size) obviously this doesn't factor in the additional impact he has on the game as a CAM. Where he makes the game Easier for both wingers. Not just Targett when he is a LW himself. 

I'll predict it for you. Jack Grealish is the dogs bollocks at LW, RW CF CAM wherever you want to play him. But for Villa I'd say lw/Inside left forward are his best positions because we play better and are more balanced.

He is a talented player but he will not improve us long term because he isn’t as good as he thinks he is and doesn’t work hard enough to impose himself on games. He will have flicks and killer passes now and again but that’s not enough to justify a transfer fee in excess of £25 million for a team in our position.

• Like 1

I'm fine with the fact he's not manic in his work rate off the ball. That's not gonna change much really at this stage but positionally he needs to fill space and gaps better when we don't have the ball. He literally goes into shutdown mode when we aren't in possession and becomes active when we do have the ball. Not convinced we'll sign him permanently. He's a good player but it's all a bit too infrequent for me.

He's just not pulling his weight at the moment and we're not at quite at the stage where we can get away with that yet.

It might just be the years of abusing cocaine inducing paranoia but I think he thinks he can just let the rest of the midfield/attack work their socks off and then feed off their produce.

23 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I'm fine with the fact he's not manic in his work rate off the ball. That's not gonna change much really at this stage but positionally he needs to fill space and gaps better when we don't have the ball. He literally goes into shutdown mode when we aren't in possession and becomes active when we do have the ball. Not convinced we'll sign him permanently. He's a good player but it's all a bit too infrequent for me.

Have you not just contradicted yourself ? Surely filling space and gaps better when we don’t have the ball  means he has to increase his work rate so that space and gaps are filled, can we afford £30 million for a player that goes into shutdown when we aren’t in possession ? I agree he is a decent player but we should not sign him permanently. There are reasons why Everton and Chelsea have allowed him to move on.

Edited by smg
Spelling

Obviously we have half a season to go but the Ross we have seen is hot and cold, injured a lot, on high wages and will cost a lot to purchase.

Definitely should be looking for a replacement signing in the summer

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

We need to improve our depth across the team.

The problem people don't seem to grasp is it's difficult to convince ready made players to join as back up/competition to Targett/Cash. Rotation is a myth. Majority of top teams play first choice team in league games as much as possible and we're not top 6 yet and almost got relegated last season so don't have the cache... yet. 

And as Smith and co repeated often there's 4 parties that have to agree for a signing to happen

• Like 2

Â