Ross Barkley

LondonLax

11 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Interesting stat

nothing against Ross, but have to be honest this seems pretty coincidental.

it’s league goals only, and of 7, 5 were in the liverpool and arsenal games. it’s not like he’s just consistently scoring because barkley is on the pitch.

• Like 1

Barkley's essentially a luxury player; he's not got the work ethic of Grealish or Watkins (few have), but he's more skilful than most and has the ability to play a pass through the eye of the needle.

In seasons gone by a luxury players wasn't what we needed, we didn't have the talent around them to utilise them properly. We tried it with players like Gil, Traore, N'Zogbia, Cole and Ireland (none of which were anywhere near Barkley's level either).

We now have the team to utilise a luxury player like Barkley; and as with most players in this side he's only going to get better.

It's a no brainer buying him this Summer for me, as long as he can keep himself fit this season.

On 20/01/2021 at 21:17, VillanousOne said:

he's not a PL starter, or international quality.

He's not a PL starter 'for Chelsea anymore' or they wouldn't have loaned him to us, and he wasn't starting much before that. He isn't currently international quality as 'he's not being picked for England' these are facts.

He's not a PL starter for us either as he's injured.

Should he be a PL starter, yes, for us, when not injured (hopefully starting today)

Is he international quality 'yes when not injured and when playing regularly' he should be in the England squad, if not the starting 11.

You quote all these Chelsea names ahead of him but contradict yourself by inferring he should play ahead of them because he is international quality (surely?). Also Pedro was sh*te at Chelsea.

I am not questioning his talent and quality at all, just pointing out his injury record and lack of starts have hampered him or he wouldn't be at Villa currently.

Not sure we're on the same page, let's agree to disagree.

22 hours ago, darrenm said:

Interesting stat

His xG in those games is almost exactly the same, so it seems more coincidental than anything else. 

That's not to say I don't think having Barkley on the pitch frees up space for Grealish and Watkins. He is more dynamic and unpredictable than, say, El Ghazi. It means that whilst he is not performing on the ball as i am sure he would like just yet, he creates a threat by presence alone. I think this is generally quite underrated. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The defeat cant be all on him.

Fair point.... but when the rest of the team are running their nuts off, pressing from the front and challenging for everything he's letting every single one of them down.

Working hard should be the absolute minimum requirement.

Edited by jimmygreaves

5 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Annoyed we are giving him game time to get up to speed.

Hes not fit enough to be starting.

I'd have had him off at half time tbh.

I'm glad we've gone for this "try before you buy" deal because 2-3 months ago, I'd have said he was worth £30m without a second thought. Not so much, now.

1 minute ago, jimmygreaves said:

Fair point.... but when the rest of the team are running their nuts off, pressing from the front and challenging for everything he's letting every single one of them down.

Working hard should be the absolute minimum requirement.

Completely agree, Sanson in for him at the weekend please....

Barkley just looks so lazy.

Â