Ross Barkley

LondonLax

He’ll be a major improvement on Hourihane, just wonder how this affects Jack... will he get to play in the centre and will we get a LW (Rashica) in? Can Barkley excel in a more disciplined role and how good is he defensively?

spacer.png

It will be good to have options & I’d like to  see us make as many signings as possible because we barely have any squad depth & flexibility. We need to mix it up & tinker with the side in certain games instead of simply playing the same first XI in the same positions for every game (barring injuries & suspensions).

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Wonder if this means Jack will be our first choice left winger or if he's been brought in to challenge/replace McGinn.

Jack is already our first choice left winger. He played left wing last season more than anywhere else and he played left wing against Sheffield a couple of days ago.

I think he's not really a direct replacement to anybody in the midfield. Its more that he's another option.

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Jack is already our first choice left winger. He played left wing last season more than anywhere else and he played left wing against Sheffield a couple of days ago.

I think he's not really a direct replacement to anybody in the midfield. Its more that he's another option.

I meant that we're not going to sign a starter for LW and we're happy with Jack still playing out there instead of moving him to the middle.

31 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

He’ll do...

We could've done with some of that against sheffield. Then they would've been forced to get out a bit more from their box to stop him from shooting, creating space inside the box.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AtkinsonWonderGoal said:

I'd take a hungry barkley all day long. Not so much if he's just payday hunting like drinkwater was though. 

What I can't understand is how I can't put an image on any chats unless it's smaller than a flys bits, but others can post umpteen videos... What am I doing wrong?

He’ll have to be hungry and play well to be selected for the Euros. Targeting players in similar situations will be an intelligent strategy (not first choice, need game time to be selected by their countries).

On images, copy the link and click “Insert other media” & select “Insert Image from URL” then paste the link in there.

Or for Gifs select from the GIF option from the top.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I know people prefer Jack LW but if this is our team on the 5th Oct I'll be very happy. 

Rashica Watkins Traore

Grealish D.Luiz Barkely

Targett Mings Konsa Cash

Martinez

Christian Bale Oooo GIF

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't quite get this view, we've not done this since these owners have arrived and Purslow has specificially said our policy is to not do this.

Sure we signed Reina and Drinkwater in January as temporary stop gaps but that is it.

I actually agree with your point re loans I just don't think its applicable to Villa.

The devil's in the detail, I hope he signs, I just know if we have him on loan he will be irreplaceable and unavoidable for us next season.

36 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Wonder if this means Jack will be our first choice left winger or if he's been brought in to challenge/replace McGinn.

The 25 or so games Hourihane started last year Barkley will be starting instead.

Conor has already started the opening games and will likely do so at Fulham aswell.

That's how you improve the first team and squad.

I get the feeling though McGinn's place will become under threat before too long, I have sympathy for him coming back from a bad injury but we can't be waiting another six months for him to get up to speed.

6 minutes ago, tinker said:

The devil's in the detail, I hope he signs, I just know if we have him on loan he will be irreplaceable and unavoidable for us next season.

Sorry not sure what you mean re unavoidable. As for irreplaceable if we have the option to buy then there isn’t an issue.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

No, I didn’t. Totally understand what Purslow said and I was pointing out Reina and Drinkwater sat outside of that. 

I know Purslow’s stance, my point was I don’t see the point the poster was making as being relevant under the current owners.

Sorry I said wrong but your post did not imply that and instead we were completely against all loans. And drinkwater and reina were merely stop gaps due to ffp. 

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The 25 or so games Hourihane started last year Barkley will be starting instead.

Conor has already started the opening games and will likely do so at Fulham aswell.

That's how you improve the first team and squad.

I get the feeling though McGinn's place will become under threat before too long, I have sympathy for him coming back from a bad injury but we can't be waiting another six months for him to get up to speed.

It’ll allow him time to work on his fitness and get back in the best shape, will be no need to rush or force him back into the side. And John’ll be a major asset once he hits form again. 

We need options & rotation too.

Conor should not be getting starts at this level unless he massively improves his game, more competition may enable that.

Edited by Jas10

Â