Ross Barkley

LondonLax

10 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Not for me. Criticism yes, pure hate was well out of order, for the simple crime of not being fit enough. 

I don't agree at all that he just decided to be a decent player tonight. He's clearly not been physically right for a long time. 

This is where I am. His ability was clear for all to see, the drop off in form and fitness needed an explanation. The hate was counter productive, what did it achieve, he was very likely aware of it and it's hardly likely to motivate him.

The best thing for aston villa was an in form Barkley.

• Like 2

A big reason for the team performance yesterday was having a CAM who was heavily involved and linking up the transitional play all over the final third - it makes life easier for everyone and allows them to thrive. We've sorely missed it.

If Barkley keeps up that level from now until the end of the season we should definitely be looking to sign him if the price is right. It wouldn't just be a reflection of ability, but of the strength of character required to not give up and just check out because the chips are down.

It's an if right now, purely hypothetical, but it would be very good for us to have a player who feels at home, can hit the ground running and has the requisite ability. We could also use the lull as a negotiation tool. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Had a great game yesterday, but let’s not forget the six months of awful performances. We mustn’t sign him. Hopefully he has a great remainder of the season, but let’s not make the mistake of signing him. 

Still feels like a player who turns up when he can be bothered. Against Pool at the start of the season, against his former club Everton yesterday and hopefully for the rest of the season if he feels he has to put a shift in to earn a transfer in the summer.

Might very well be a physical issue but I'm leaning more towards it being a mental issue and motivation. He has some of the attributes we need, but we need a player who does is every game, every week.

If he can keep up this level of performance why wouldn't we look to sign him.  Unfortunately he seems to have one good game in 6 at the moment.  Sure I heard the new Chelsea manager wants him back anyway. 

41 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Had a great game yesterday, but let’s not forget the six months of awful performances. We mustn’t sign him. Hopefully he has a great remainder of the season, but let’s not make the mistake of signing him. 

6 months of awful performances? He was good pre injury, out injured between November and February. Then poor from Feb to April. I’m not his biggest fan but let’s not rewrite history.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sne said:

Still feels like a player who turns up when he can be bothered. Against Pool at the start of the season, against his former club Everton yesterday and hopefully for the rest of the season if he feels he has to put a shift in to earn a transfer in the summer.

Might very well be a physical issue but I'm leaning more towards it being a mental issue and motivation. He has some of the attributes we need, but we need a player who does is every game, every week.

He was brilliant until Covid hit our club. 

Then he was absolutely awful for games on end once we came back, and other players also lost form.  

I do wonder whether he had mild long Covid and is only just shaking it off now.

I guess we’ll never really know.

Just now, ender4 said:

He was brilliant until Covid hit our club. 

Then he was absolutely awful for games on end once we came back, and other players also lost form.  

I guess we’ll never really know.

He had a bright start but he got injured 2 minutes into his 6th game here and was hardly brilliant in the games against Leeds and Southampton so that's 3 games, Pool, Leicester and Arsenal where he actually was really good.

But yeah I'm sure the injury and then Covid are part of why he's been so bad. I think he lacks dedication thou, that and the constant injuries means I really hope we don't spend anymore money on him. 

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

This has been my feeling all along. 

12 minutes ago, sne said:

He had a bright start but he got injured 2 minutes into his 6th game here and was hardly brilliant in the games against Leeds and Southampton so that's 3 games, Pool, Leicester and Arsenal where he actually was really good.

But yeah I'm sure the injury and then Covid are part of why he's been so bad. I think he lacks dedication thou, that and the constant injuries means I really hope we don't spend anymore money on him. 

He was decent vs Arsenal in the return game and the last 2. So he's probably more like 50/50 good vs absolute shite. The trouble for me is, when he's off form he's so bad that he's unplayable. He will hold the team back. 

Even if he finishes the season on fire, he just hasn't done enough to dispel the premise that's he's just not good enough for where we want to be. 

• Like 1

Some players take an age to hit the levels seen previously when coming back from an injury. Maybe what we’ve seen as a lack of effort has just been him taking it very cautiously in the hope of not aggravating underlying issues with his hamstring. It got to a point where Smith even took him out the firing line for several weeks but the fact he covered most ground on the pitch yesterday bodes well for the run in. Hope he has a great end to the season now.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

6 months of awful performances? He was good pre injury, out injured between November and February. Then poor from Feb to April. I’m not his biggest fan but let’s not rewrite history.

Was the worst player on the pitch against Leeds and Southampton before his injury. Let's not rewrite history. It took him 14 games to make a tackle or interception after the Leeds game.

8 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Was the worst player on the pitch against Leeds and Southampton before his injury. Let's not rewrite history. It took him 14 games to make a tackle or interception after the Leeds game.

The whole team was rubbish in those games. And we did not sign him for his ability to tackle and intercept. I’m not saying he wasn’t poor post injury but there was a reason why fans were clamouring for him to return to the team asap.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

November to May is six months in my book. 

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

A big reason for the team performance yesterday was having a CAM who was heavily involved and linking up the transitional play all over the final third - it makes life easier for everyone and allows them to thrive. We've sorely missed it.

If Barkley keeps up that level from now until the end of the season we should definitely be looking to sign him if the price is right. It wouldn't just be a reflection of ability, but of the strength of character required to not give up and just check out because the chips are down.

It's an if right now, purely hypothetical, but it would be very good for us to have a player who feels at home, can hit the ground running and has the requisite ability. We could also use the lull as a negotiation tool. 

Exactly Im glad you watched the same game as me , his one touch passing to other players ensured the game was in front of the other players , he got us up the pitch and kept us moving quick, also he covered the most distance of any player last night.

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

The whole team was rubbish in those games. And we did not sign him for his ability to tackle and intercept. I’m not saying he wasn’t poor post injury but there was a reason why fans were clamouring for him to return to the team asap.

The whole team was rubbish because no one showed for the ball. Which is his job. And I'm not expecting him to make 100 tackles in a season but I expect him to put a shift in an maybe make a tackle once very other game rather than once every other month like barkleys been doing. The fact he doesn't track his man or both sprinting back on Defence kills us. How many times this season could he have easily gotten back in time to prevent an easy shot that led to a goal. Whilst I don't recall every goal. I remember there were 2 against West ham and one against Liverpool. Which you know is 2-6 points there which would put us on level with Liverpool and right on West hams doorstep. 

Â