Ross Barkley

LondonLax

Barkley just isnt suited to us imo.

No way does the "he's working back to fitness" thing stand up, he's played at least 70 minutes in each of our last 8 games.

my personal opinion of him, is that he's an old school lazy number 10, he has talent, but he see's himself as a no 10 who should be effectively excused of any teamwork or defensive work, this just cant be accepted in our team, most modern football teams wouldnt accept it either.

The midfield 3 looks terribly imbalanced when he's in the side (most of the time), i also think continuing to play him when he clearly isnt working for the team, is a terrible message to send to the rest of the squad, especially when we have Ramsey & Sanson coming on for cameo's and doing more in 10-15 minutes than Barkley does in 70-75 mins.

I understand why we signed him, it shows intent and raises our profile to be able to attract a player of Barkley's alleged talent, but imo it clearly hasnt work on the pitch, even if we did get the kudos off it for the transfer.

I am starting to wonder if he has a play clause in his contract, because if he hasnt then for me i would have to question why Deano is plodding on with him when he clearly isnt putting effort in.

I didnt see his strop today at being subbed, was it worse than the strops he normally throws when he's subbed? (in his previous 3 games?)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

No way does the "he's working back to fitness" thing stand up, he's played at least 70 minutes in each of our last 8 games.

my personal opinion of him, is that he's an old school lazy number 10, he has talent, but he see's himself as a no 10 who should be effectively excused of any teamwork or defensive work, this just cant be accepted in our team, most modern football teams wouldnt accept it either.

The midfield 3 looks terribly imbalanced when he's in the side (most of the time), i also think continuing to play him when he clearly isnt working for the team, is a terrible message to send to the rest of the squad, especially when we have Ramsey & Sanson coming on for cameo's and doing more in 10-15 minutes than Barkley does in 70-75 mins.

I understand why we signed him, it shows intent and raises our profile to be able to attract a player of Barkley's alleged talent, but imo it clearly hasnt work on the pitch, even if we did get the kudos off it for the transfer.

I am starting to wonder if he has a play clause in his contract, because if he hasnt then for me i would have to question why Deano is plodding on with him when he clearly isnt putting effort in.

I didnt see his strop today at being subbed, was it worse than the strops he normally throws when he's subbed? (in his previous 3 games?)

If there was a clause, I’d sub him after first half. 

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Strops are always a difficult thing to judge.  He may well just be annoyed with himself for performing badly, and as such you can understand them.  So long as he’s not yelling at the manager, I don’t mind too much.

However, you know it’s a distraction when the producer decides it’s more important to show him walking slowly around the pitch with his boots off than it is to show the game footage.

He’d be well advised NOT to draw attention to himself after putting in a shitty performance.  It’s not very professional.

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Not as directly petulant as the ‘kicking of water bottles’. But left the pitch at far side from dugout pouting and talking trash to himself. Then preceded to strip off whilst sat on advertising hoarding. Taking off boots and socks before skulking back to bench. Took about 5 mins in total. 

I can't help but feel that Ross sees Villa as a huge step down in his career, and simply cannot believe the team aren't being built around him, let alone having to suffer the indignity of being subbed off for 'inferior' squad players. A comment he made upon joining us, that he was surprised about the quality he found in the team (considering where we finished in the league), seems to tell a different story now. At first I thought, well why should he know anything about our injury crisis to the spine of the team or whatever, now this seems to tell a different story about how he expected to walk into the team regardless of how much effort he showed game to game.

20 minutes ago, Thug said:

That video supports exactly what I’m saying.

The video talks about how the traditional number 10 that is there for the sole purpose of creativity is now defunct. 
it talks about the ‘modern’ number 10 that is expected to join in the midfield for the defensive duties.

It makes a point of using Bruno Fernandes as an example who when I last checked makes 1.7 tackles per game compared to Barkley’s 0.2.

What you watched was NOT the exact opposite of what I said, but in exact agreement with what I said.

Barkley is a traditional no.10 who is defensively useless.  His role is defunct.

4DD2966F-B5C4-4AD7-88EE-42FE3BDCC725.jpeg

I don't think that's strictly true. I believe Barkley see's himself as a traditional number 10 and so thinks he doesn't have to do any defensive work....

I think he really fancies himself as a "baller" and doesn't need to lower himself to tackling or defending or tracking back.

2 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

I don't think that's strictly true. I believe Barkley see's himself as a traditional number 10 and so thinks he doesn't have to do any defensive work....

I think he really fancies himself as a "baller" and doesn't need to lower himself to tackling or defending or tracking back.

I’m confused.

Which part do u think isn’t strictly true then?

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

I’m confused.

Which part do u think isn’t strictly true then?

I don't think he's a traditional 10. He's a box to box midfielder, at least he was when he was "good" in his early days at Everton.

I think he fancies himself as a 10 so he doesn't have to do any work...... unfortunately, in reality, he's not good enough.

Typical example of a young player who got it all too soon and now thinks he's the kiddy. 

Why he's throwing tantrums when getting subbed is beyond me. If he put as much effort on the pitch as he does sulking when coming off it, maybe he'd not get subbed to begin with. 

If there is a Midfielder Chelsea deem surplus this summer that we end up buying, I'd rather we took a punt on Loftus-Cheek. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeMcKenna said:

However Barkley perceives himself, I would argue he is a) no longer the player he was b) not a team player c) needs to grow up.

His ‘look at me’ tactics when he was subbed spoke volumes and was disgraceful.

Here’s the misconception.

He’s still exactly the player he was.  If you go read the posts about him on toffeeweb Everton forums.. they had the exact same criticisms 4 years ago.  Then he moved to chelsea, and the same criticisms there.  And now at villa... 

https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/16-17/comment/fanscomment/33578.html

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Not as directly petulant as the ‘kicking of water bottles’. But left the pitch at far side from dugout pouting and talking trash to himself. Then preceded to strip off whilst sat on advertising hoarding. Taking off boots and socks before skulking back to bench. Took about 5 mins in total. 

He also threw his pads up into the Holte followed soon after by his socks !

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Not seen too much of him, but the couple of games I have seen, he’s been pretty dire.

I think I’ve had my fill of these players from big clubs on big wages with big reps just because they came through the ranks of a top 6 side.

7 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Typical example of a young player who got it all too soon and now thinks he's the kiddy. 

Why he's throwing tantrums when getting subbed is beyond me. If he put as much effort on the pitch as he does sulking when coming off it, maybe he'd not get subbed to begin with. 

If there is a Midfielder Chelsea deem surplus this summer that we end up buying, I'd rather we took a punt on Loftus-Cheek

I'm loathe to even run the risk of being seen to "defend" him for fear of my general safety, but he just looks shot physically to me. He looks so much more laboured at the moment, slow on the ball and unable to carry it outside of some fleeting moments here and there since his return, which for all the stick other parts of his game may warrant you wouldn't associate with him.

Personally think there is/was more merit in bringing him off the bench later in a game where at the moment he'd be more likely to have an impact rather than seemingly just trying to play him into both fitness and form.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

I don't think he's a traditional 10. He's a box to box midfielder, at least he was when he was "good" in his early days at Everton.

I think he fancies himself as a 10 so he doesn't have to do any work...... unfortunately, in reality, he's not good enough.

Ive always considered a box to box midfielder as someone who is capable around both boxes. 
RB has never been someone capable of defending.  
in my opinion, he has always been a traditional number 10.  
He may well have been deployed as a box to box at times, but doesn’t make him a box to box player.

His attributes make him useful in only one position, and that is in a number 10 role.

Covered more ground walking off the pitch than when he was on it. 

More chance of appearing on Eurovision than The Euro's. 

Pathetic displays of late, Needs a Petrov type removal for his own benefit and the sake of the team, His work ethics ratios are a very poor example to the squad players, Think its fairly obvious to all now he must have a bull shit "must start if fit" clause. 

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Thug said:

Here’s the misconception.

He’s still exactly the player he was.  If you go read the posts about him on toffeeweb Everton forums.. they had the exact same criticisms 4 years ago.  Then he moved to chelsea, and the same criticisms there.  And now at villa... 

https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/16-17/comment/fanscomment/33578.html

The parallels are stark...

• Like 1

We looked better without him.

He has no interest in the defensive side of the game so against 3 man midfields they have an extra man. The 4-2-3-1 we are using to accommodate him doesn't look like it suits either Luiz or McGinn (Who needs to be further forward). 

Back to 4-3-3 for me and if he can't play deeper he doesn't start. For the money Chelsea would want and his wage demands I think we can do better.

• Like 1

Â