Ross Barkley

LondonLax

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its ironic, because against West Ham he was the closest to Lingard when he scored his first goal.....the defence was still funnelling back

I am not denying your point, but I think that injury has got inside his head...he looks full of meloncholy....but he can play.

He fitness is his biggest challenge and your observations have merit, huge merit....I have no idea, how it will all pan out, but i suspect, chelsea must have a EU official in the club if they expect, 40m...pie in the sky, dreamers.

I suspect Morgan Sanson is the insurance against Ross failing, but in the meantime, Morgan has time to get used to the club and what its all about.....it seems like desperation has gone from us now, calm and composure has replaced it.

Worse. A Russian. And nobody pulls the wool over their eyes.

Looking back over the seasons highlights made me realise how much Barkley has given us this season . Assists and goals that others probably weren't capable of.

I think his position is the easiest to criticise but personally I think he is classy and love watching him play

• Like 1

I think we are a hard working team, and I think that will define this project. I think Barkley still has a lot to prove and his injury was a big set back 9n his progress. He has a lot to prove but he clearly has the talent and X-factor which is rare, with just under half the season and the positivity around the team let’s hope he makes a case.

9 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I think we are a hard working team, and I think that will define this project. I think Barkley still has a lot to prove and his injury was a big set back 9n his progress. He has a lot to prove but he clearly has the talent and X-factor which is rare, with just under half the season and the positivity around the team let’s hope he makes a case.

Exactly this. I want him to succeed with us but his own hunger and efforts will decide that.

Smith won’t carry passengers, and Grealish has already shown flashes of impatience with Barkley when he’s underperformed. Also Sanson will get a chance before long and might be hard to shift again when he does. 

With a week back at Bodymoor now to train and prepare, this Brighton game is a big one for Barkley. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Barkley is quality, raises the bar of the squad overall. 

Last season i would have agreed, we have improved so much this season that he really doesn't raise the bar that much at all.

If he stays fit and gets a good run in the team and we learn how to balance the team around him, then maybe that bar will get higher.

But at the moment he doesn't fit in very well with how we play (in my opinion) and his form is pretty average, hope that will change though.

Edited by VillanousOne

27 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Barkley is quality, raises the bar of the squad overall. 

Something in this tbf. I reckon the talk of Barkley underperforming would be a lot quieter if we'd smashed four past Burnley in the first half like we should've done. 

Hes not at his best atm but its not long ago Carles Gil was our great hope in his position. I think Smith will keep his faith in Barkley and he'll repay him properly before the end of the season

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Looking back over the seasons highlights made me realise how much Barkley has given us this season . Assists and goals that others probably weren't capable of.

I think his position is the easiest to criticise but personally I think he is classy and love watching him play

He has an assist - not assists. 1.

(Which incidentally is 1 less than the total number of tackles he’s made in 923 minutes of premier league football)

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/92547/Show/Ross-Barkley

He has 3 goals, one huge deflection, one header from 6 yards out, and indeed 1 against Leicester that ‘others were not capable of’ (disputable)

What highlight reel you been watching?

Edited by Thug

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You'll notice every time Deano is asked about wanting to make him a permanent signing, he reiterates that there has never been a conversation about that.

He also stated in the past he's unaware of any clause with Luiz/City so make of that what you will. 

• Like 3

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2021/02/12/aston-villa-boss-dean-smith-backs-ross-barkley-to-rediscover-top-form/

Smith confirmed he had spoken to the on loan Chelsea star after he reacted to being substituted in last week’s 1-0 win over Arsenal by kicking a water bottle carrier.

Barkley, who joined Villa at the start of the season with the clear aim of regaining his place in the England squad, has experienced mixed fortunes since returning from a hamstring injury which kept him sidelined for nearly two months.

But Smith believes the 27-year-old will have benefited from the week’s break before tonight’s match at Brighton and thinks there is still ample time for him to force his way into Gareth Southgate’s plans.

He said: “International managers now are starting to look at the form in the second half of the season.

“There is a great opportunity now for anyone to work their way into the plans.

“I have been impressed with Ross’ attitude since he has come in, his professionalism.

“He is a top player and what he has to do now is just to maintain that, week-in, week-out.”

Barkley’s return to fitness coincided with the most hectic period of Villa’s season so far and he started each of their last six matches, which were played in the space of just 18 days.

Asked about his reaction to being taken off against the Gunners, Smith replied: “To be honest I didn't see what he did but I heard it.

“I dealt with it straight away in the dressing room. It's probably cost him about £100 for a new bottle box but the bottom line is I don't want players coming off happy. I want them to come off disappointed.

“I reminded Ross he'd just played six games in 18 days with zero days training. He came back from an eight-week lay-off with a hamstring injury and, for me, having this week's training now will help him get to the levels he was at prior to the injury.

“When he came in for his first game and we beat Liverpool 7-2 he was obviously right at the top of every supporters’ lips.

“He has been out injured. Six games in 18 days with no training is some doing and a credit to his fitness and professionalism.”

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thug said:

He has an assist - not assists. 1.

(Which incidentally is 1 less than the total number of tackles he’s made in 923 minutes of premier league football)

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/92547/Show/Ross-Barkley

He has 3 goals, one huge deflection, one header from 6 yards out, and indeed 1 against Leicester that ‘others were not capable of’ (disputable)

What highlight reel you been watching?

Two of those goals have been match winners and I'm a big fan of the additional 4 points that earned

But I'm not really that arsed about stats. From an eye test point of view he links up well with jack and targett especially on that left hand side, has lovely close control, switches play very effectively and is a threat from long range. Our midfield doesn't score much from outside the box so if a ball drops loose from 25 yards out its Barkley I want to be hitting it. 

Overall though I agree with the majority opinion that he is probably underperforming and I think there is more to come. 

it sounds like he isn't really 100% up to match fitness yet. Only have to look at the Gareth bale situation to see how long it takes a player to build up to full match fitness after a long spell out.

We don't know how much he is instructed to preserve that energy by not closing down like a madman in the final third. Game and player management is very nuanced and something we fans aren't necessarily party to

• Like 1

Â