• Davis
    • El Ghazi
    • Trézéguet (Traoré 70)
    • Watkins (Davis 70)
    • Hourihane (Lansbury 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/09/20 at 16:00

That was a confusingly comfortable win. I saw the line-up and thought we would struggle because they're second string.  But that just shows the progress we've made.  A year or 2 ago most of these were first choice and they were good enough to get up and stay up.  Bristol rested all but their back 3 so this was not 'a side top of the Championship' either. In hindsight I should have been more relaxed than I was.  We were in total control from the first minute and never let off.  Davis played the best I've seen him play.  He was head and shoulders above the opposition and above most of his team-mates in the first half. Played like a senior amongst kids.  Totally bossed it up front and showed a swagger I've not seen before, to add to his always honest effort and graft.  I'm still not sure Traoré's goal wasn't a cross to the far post, but whatever it was, it was the highlight reel goal of our night and a fairytale start for a player who looked full of nice touches, has a turn of speed and is deceptively big (well bigger than I'd imagined).  Ramsey was full of endevour.  His confident forays forward bode very weell for when he's fully up to speed. We certainly shouldn't be afraid to use him more.  El Ghazi put in a proper shift full of running, even if he just lacked a little something. Against opposition of this quality I'd have hoped AEG would fill his boots.  Watkins' finish was that of a man on top of his game and full of confidence. The deftest of finishes timed and weighted perfectly.  He really does have the invaluable knack of being in the right place at the right time.  Finally I thought Nakamba did a great job mopping up in midfield, breaking up everything he could that came his way and starting off a lot of our attack play.

All in all a fantastic run out for the boys. Reminding everyone we have a proper squad here, and opposition notwithstanding, I can't remember being so completely confident of progress into the next round so early in a game while watching an under-strength Villa side. Bristol were absolutely atrocious.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

OK here goes, watched the game on Carabao live.

Steer - quality save and a few good claims of high crosses.

Guilbert - quick and alert, seemed to link up well with Traore (especially first half).

Elmohamady - very steady, almost commanding playing CB. Dare I say he's a replacement for the 'invisible man' (aka Engels).

Hause - strong and dominant.

Taylor - steady enough although got caught out once in the first half and gave away a free kick for a late foul.

Nakamba - I thought he was pretty good, strong and played a few nice passes.

Lansbury - plays a nice pass now and again but we could let him go and we probably should.

Ramsay - quality player, quick and skilful. Hope he continues to play in the League Cup and a few minutes here and there in the PL.

El Ghazi - involved and consistent but a little wasteful as he could have scored a hat-trick.

Traore - looked the most accomplished player on the pitch and has an air of quality about him. Some have suggested his defensive skills are poor but he did show effort to track back. The reverse pass was sublime and the finish was exquisite, he definitely meant to shoot as his body shape was obvious.

Davis - first half he led the line brilliantly and very unselfish in his play. He's quick, strong and has some skill. Deserved a goal and you know what, I've said it all along I really like him!

Subs: Trezeguet and Watkins combined clinically for the third goal.

*Credit to The Robins, they look good and have plenty to be proud of especially going forward. They made it a tougher game in the second half as up to then Villa were coasting.

I really like him too.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It wasn't that long ago we were battling with Bristol City for a play off space so we should just be grateful that we are back to where we should be in the premier league.

220 million certainly has helped.

Extended highlights with sound. :)

Watched it on the mobile from a stream someone shared by filming his TV with his mobile. Nice gesture indeed, but it was a bit hard to really see what happened sometimes. And in the 2nd half the picture always ended up sideways so I had to tilt my head. All in all, I can't judge any players but happy with the result. Thought it'd be a tough one, glad that I was wrong. Chuffed for Traoré to get his first goal and happy to see that Ramsey did more than ok. I hope he gets some minutes here and there in the PL. Even though playing liverpool obviously is harder than this game. But you have to give it a go, sometimes.

3 wins out of 3 so far, which is nice. I know the opponents haven't been of highest quality but it's still better than WDL which it could've been too. fulham next, which is a bigger test than bristol, burton and a 10 men sheffield united.

UTV!

40 minutes ago, robby b said:

Stoke game announced for next Thursday! Blimey, so the league cup this season is a round every week! Funny old season.

Should have scrapped it for a season. Give it 8 weeks wait and see how many injuries everyone gets.

Then add the fa cup in

Madness

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Should have scrapped it for a season. Give it 8 weeks wait and see how many injuries everyone gets.

Then add the fa cup in

Madness

Yeah, madness. I wouldn't have minded if it had been scrapped for a season (although it is good for our 2nd team for their game time). Well, at least we made 11 changes last night, the maximum possible, that was a good move. I wonder if Deano will do the same again next week against Stoke.

Edited by robby b

20 hours ago, BOF said:

That was a confusingly comfortable win. I saw the line-up and thought we would struggle because they're second string.  But that just shows the progress we've made.  A year or 2 ago most of these were first choice and they were good enough to get up and stay up.  Bristol rested all but their back 3 so this was not 'a side top of the Championship' either. In hindsight I should have been more relaxed than I was.  We were in total control from the first minute and never let off.  Davis played the best I've seen him play.  He was head and shoulders above the opposition and above most of his team-mates in the first half. Played like a senior amongst kids.  Totally bossed it up front and showed a swagger I've not seen before, to add to his always honest effort and graft.  I'm still not sure Traoré's goal wasn't a cross to the far post, but whatever it was, it was the highlight reel goal of our night and a fairytale start for a player who looked full of nice touches, has a turn of speed and is deceptively big (well bigger than I'd imagined).  Ramsey was full of endevour.  His confident forays forward bode very weell for when he's fully up to speed. We certainly shouldn't be afraid to use him more.  El Ghazi put in a proper shift full of running, even if he just lacked a little something. Against opposition of this quality I'd have hoped AEG would fill his boots.  Watkins' finish was that of a man on top of his game and full of confidence. The deftest of finishes timed and weighted perfectly.  He really does have the invaluable knack of being in the right place at the right time.  Finally I thought Nakamba did a great job mopping up in midfield, breaking up everything he could that came his way and starting off a lot of our attack play.

All in all a fantastic run out for the boys. Reminding everyone we have a proper squad here, and opposition notwithstanding, I can't remember being so completely confident of progress into the next round so early in a game while watching an under-strength Villa side. Bristol were absolutely atrocious.

Even the back three was severely weakened from an ideal lineup.
We had a CM covering at LCB. and if all defenders were fit then it would have been Mawson, Kalas and then one of Baker/Moore/Vyner as the third CB. 

I would say that at most 1, at a push 2, of that side would have started if we had all players fit. Either Moore or Vyner, and possibly Semenyo, though he shouldn't be ahead of Martin and Wells yet.

That isn't to make any excuses at all. The better side on the night won and I'm sure can be said for the side you put out about few of them being starters if all players were available.

Davis, Traore and Ramsey all very impressive. Traore perhaps benefited by going up against a natural winger at LWB and a CM at LCB, but that isn't to take away from his performance at all.

Certainly over the next few months as players come back from injuries Holden will have a headache.

• Like 1

Â