• Davis
    • El Ghazi
    • Trézéguet (Traoré 70)
    • Watkins (Davis 70)
    • Hourihane (Lansbury 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/09/20 at 16:00

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I don't know, if we don't sign a left sided forward, then even with Barkley we'd have him, Luiz, McGinn, Hourihane, Ramsey and Nakamba realistic poss starters. One or two injuries and Ramsey starts every week. Not sure we can send him out on loan. 

That’s 6 players for two starting positions because Jack will be moved to AM.

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

Villa reserves beat Bristol reserves, We made 11 changes and they made 9 so lets not get way ahead of ourselves 

Our 'first team' struggled against Burton. Both teams may have fielded reserves but a typical Villa result would have been a loss. Let's not forgot how good we became at failing.

5 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Our 'first team' struggled against Burton. Both teams may have fielded reserves but a typical Villa result would have been a loss. Let's not forgot how good we became at failing.

Granted but I'm still not getting carried away, 0-0 at Fulham on Monday and a few will want Deano sacked. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Granted but I'm still not getting carried away, 0-0 at Fulham on Monday and a few will want Deano sacked. 

Yeah I don’t really have issues with what you said, you stated the facts, I’m just looking at things in a different way. UTV.

51 minutes ago, rayk said:

That’s 6 players for two starting positions because Jack will be moved to AM.

yeah i said "if we don't sign a left sided forward" so that assumes Jack fills that role and doesn't drop back into the middle.

• Like 1

It's so nice to come up against a team from a lower league and be able to dispatch them comfortably, something we have struggled with of late. 

Traore looks a proper handful - full of movement and running and constantly showing for the ball. Good bit of skill too - and that goal 😍. Ramsey looking sharp - His development is coming along nicely. 

Good to see Steer back between the sticks and looking match fit and pretty assured. Good save too. 

Good changes from Smith at the right time to kill the game off. Brilliant ball in by Trez and a lovely tap in from Ollie.

No injuries, key players rested for Fulham. Clean sheet. 3 goals. 

El Ghazi bagged a goal, Davis with the assist. Excellent for the confidence of both.

Elmo looking surprisingly good at CB and Guilbert getting a good run out.

All in all a very good night's work all round. Bring on Fulham. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

100%. If he’s good enough in these two cup games, which he has been, he’s good enough to start against Fulham. Can’t be worse than starting with a Nakamba or a Hourihane. 

He has clearly had two good cup games against much  lower level opposition , and Fulham will be seen as lower class premier league opponents (not that we can claim to be much higher) but Nakamba plays a completely different role and Hourihane is an experienced international player who has been labelled as a scapegoat on here when games have gone against us. Hopefully Ramsey is the future but two games against lower level teams doesn’t guarantee we have a new top player.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I just bloody typed a load of stuff and then the other thread was closed and I lost it all :gaah:

First half you blew us away first 15 minutes and then saw it out very comfortably even as we started to grow into the game. Deserved 2 goal lead.

Second half was much more even until the third goal, which was a very good counter as we threw everyone forward to get a goal back, adn you then had a couple more chances, one of which Ramsey hit right at O'Leary.

Can't argue with the result, though maybe 1-1 would have been a fairer second half scoreline, the better side tonight won.

Both teams had a penalty shout that probably would have been given in the Prem after VAR. In my view neither were penalties, though yours the stronger shout, and Vyner just couldn't handle Watkins after he came on. The first half one for you just wasn't a penalty at all.

For City O'Leary and Semenyo probably the only 2 who started that played particularly well, Bakinson looked good again after he came on.

I put Davis as your MOTM, he deserved a goal and this was the least awful I have seen Linnington referee a game, so credit to him there.

What a class act you are.  Genuine impartial match review from the opposition, and especially impressive restraint given the technological failings of the website. 

Thanks, the forum is a richer place for non-villa fans like you.

Respect aside,  it was so refreshing for us to win comfortably, against opposition from a lower league,  especially one that is doing well in that league. I can't remember the last time it happened. And pretty sure it has never happened when we've made 11 changes to the team that played our last league match. 

Let's hope our good run continues against Fulham, because it would be so "old" villa for us to lose to a team searching for their first league win...😜

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thought would be a bit of a banana skin. Glad I was wrong and am hearing encouraging things on here and from the match reports.  Great for Traore to hit the ground running, Ramsay to put on an impressive performance and for Jed to get a gig and keep a clean sheet.

Bring on Stoke at Villa Park.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

What a class act you are.  Genuine impartial match review from the opposition, and especially impressive restraint given the technological failings of the website. 

Thanks, the forum is a richer place for non-villa fans like you.

Respect aside,  it was so refreshing for us to win comfortably, against opposition from a lower league,  especially one that is doing well in that league. I can't remember the last time it happened. And pretty sure it has never happened when we've made 11 changes to the team that played our last league match. 

Let's hope our good run continues against Fulham, because it would be so "old" villa for us to lose to a team searching for their first league win...😜

I would agree although @JamesBCFC hates Grealish, so I'm still leaning towards burning him at the stake.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, smg said:

He has clearly had two good cup games against much  lower level opposition , and Fulham will be seen as lower class premier league opponents (not that we can claim to be much higher) but Nakamba plays a completely different role and Hourihane is an experienced international player who has been labelled as a scapegoat on here when games have gone against us. Hopefully Ramsey is the future but two games against lower level teams doesn’t guarantee we have a new top player.

I've been watching Ireland games +35 years and one of worst Irish teams in memory and Hourihane isn't even guaranteed starter

Â