Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Records are fun and all but if you gave me the option in not breaking any records but finish higher in the table i'd take it any day of the week.

I said the same thing in our promotion season. I don't care about the 10 game winning run. All that matters was breaking into the top 6. How we get there i don't care. Let's just get there.

We finished in the top 6 because we went on a 10 game winning run. If we hadn't done the latter then we wouldn't have achieved the former.

In much the same vein, we need to go on a 5 game winning streak (and more) in order to achieve our minimum target of 114 points this season.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Records are fun and all but if you gave me the option in not breaking any records but finish higher in the table i'd take it any day of the week.

I said the same thing in our promotion season. I don't care about the 10 game winning run. All that matters was breaking into the top 6. How we get there i don't care. Let's just get there.

even if we lose friday we're not going to be lower than 3rd come end of the weekend barring a huge goal swing, after 6 PL game weeks with a game in hand that is absolutely fantastic. it would be easy for the lads to drop efforts slightly coming up against lesser opposition.

records give the team that bit of extra motivation. the chance to make history...first villa team EVER to win first 5 games of a season.

i remember watching the city documentary and how pep kept the team motivated despite already having won the league, it was putting up on their analysis screen what records they can break. i wouldn't underestimate them...it's not just 'fun', it leaves a legacy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah but we wouldn't have to if we hadn't f***ed up the 10 games before.

We would have won the league if we hadn't have lost or drawn any games at all. 

That season proved that, given time, Dean Smith gets it right. He came in to HIS club which is a tough gig when your heart is well and truly in it. He got us up and then had to rebuild a new team. He did it and eventually kept us up. He's been able to add quality over quantity now and already we are seeing the rewards. Given time he will take us to the top. 

I cannot wait for tomorrow's game. It'll be a real test of our defensive side as Leeds will give it a good go. It's also a good test of our temperament as they will kick lumps out of us. We need a fair referee who takes action against those that over-step the mark. 

With regards to winning the title; Champions usually get the rub of the green from the referees. We won't get that because, as we saw in the Leicester game, a rolling stone gathers know Moss. 

• Haha 1

On 21/10/2020 at 08:23, White_Wall said:

If it were me, I'd be delighted with any top-half finish and anything over 50 points or so.  Villa could perhaps qualify for the Europa League but I'm not sure I'd be desperate for that if I were you, it puts a hell of a lot of pressure on a club

I agree totally with this. Assuming we are not actually good enough for CL and the revenues it brings, I’d rather miss Europe altogether - especially as we probably wouldn’t be going on memorable away trips as a fanbase anyway... Europa more pain than it’s worth for a club at our stage of development, much as I love European nights.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

I agree totally with this. Assuming we are not actually good enough for CL and the revenues it brings, I’d rather miss Europe altogether - especially as we probably wouldn’t be going on memorable away trips as a fanbase anyway... Europa more pain than it’s worth for a club at our stage of development, much as I love European nights.

I’d definitely take a European place. No guarantee we’ll go there soon. It will help us sign a better calibre players. It will keep our best players happy and motivated to success even more.

• Like 2

It is so very difficult to imagine winning 5 on the trot and going top. I mean nobody alive today has ever witnessed a start to the season like this at Villa - it's uncharted territory. The squad is motivated, buoyant, talented, injury free and our form is superior to an injury struck Leeds. A neutral should be tipping us to win. But I still cannot imagine it. 

20 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I cannot wait for tomorrow's game. It'll be a real test of our defensive side as Leeds will give it a good go. It's also a good test of our temperament as they will kick lumps out of us. We need a fair referee who takes action against those that over-step the mark. 

With regards to winning the title; Champions usually get the rub of the green from the referees. We won't get that because, as we saw in the Leicester game, a rolling stone gathers know Moss. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one red card tonight.

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It is so very difficult to imagine winning 5 on the trot and going top. I mean nobody alive today has ever witnessed a start to the season like this at Villa - it's uncharted territory. The squad is motivated, buoyant, talented, injury free and our form is superior to an injury struck Leeds. A neutral should be tipping us to win. But I still cannot imagine it. 

My next door neighbour is 102.  He has! 

If we win tonight I will go round and take the piss out of him for living all that time and here I am a mere 51 witnessing something he's never seen. 

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, sidcow said:

My next door neighbour is 102.  He has! 

If we win tonight I will go round and take the piss out of him for living all that time and here I am a mere 51 witnessing something he's never seen. 

To be fair hes done the same (An FA Cup win!) 

On 21/10/2020 at 19:30, Vive_La_Villa said:

Was that at the end of the season after Little had been sacked or was it the year before?

Technically, Little wasn't sacked, he resigned. Although we never really found out what went on between him and Ellis. 

31 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Luke Ayling is your best bet for that! Once Jack's twisted his blood a few times he will lose the plot and see red.

Talking if this i saw that he is 7/2 with some bookies for a yellow card surely free money!?

If we want a decent top half finish games like Leeds/Southampton we should be winning. Of course they could be banana skins but we need to maximise points while the going is good and we don't have any injury concerns, which is bound to happen soon given our bad luck with them! I'm very confident about beating Leeds although it does have the potential to be a bit wild and unpredictable. We have in form players and momentum on our side and a nice little bonus of going top for a while. Leeds have to be respected obviously as they will be desperate for a win but I think we can do the business tonight 😬

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Technically, Little wasn't sacked, he resigned. Although we never really found out what went on between him and Ellis. 

Wasn’t it a ‘mutual agreement’? 

He’s still my favourite ever villa manager as those 3 years were when I properly started to go to games and Villa park used to feel like a fortress. 

Â