Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

As soon as we kick off on Friday we will be top of the league. 

Quick screen grab and forward to every small heathen, Tesco and dog head fan in my phone . 

Karma is such a bitch :crylaugh:

Edited by Kingman
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, White_Wall said:

But you are surely getting way ahead of yourselves thinking about the title.

:crylaugh:We're not actually expecting to win the title.

Having said that it is nice that we've come in from whatever the standard no chance odds the bookies give these days (not 5,000 - 1 anymore since Leicester, more like 750 - 1) right into 66 - 1 after just 4 games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, White_Wall said:

Chelsea visitor here.

Welcome! Always nice to hear from visiting supporters.

I think we are just having a laugh here - 90% of us would happily take 10th place now, but as Dean Smith says, he just wants to win the next game. 

As any team, we have to be aiming for the top - why wouldn't we?! - and in Villa's case, landing 35/40 points away from that is still a big big success. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, White_Wall said:

Chelsea visitor here.

I understand the pleasure you guys have in the great start, it has been nice to see.  Personally I have been to Villa Park a few times (and never seen Chelsea lose as it happens) and have a bit of a soft spot for your club, especially with JT there.  A strong Villa makes the PL better and there's no gainsaying that the Holte End in full throat is impressive (or used to be, anyway).  So that's all good.  But you are surely getting way ahead of yourselves thinking about the title.  Maybe it's more a relief that the corner seems to have been turned after a difficult few years for Villa and that you look like a team on the up.  Plenty of teams (WBA for example) manage to be yo-yo type clubs that vacillate between the Championship and the PL but Villa look like they may well break out of that level this season and start to establish themselves as a solid PL team.  The club is big and well-supported enough for that and it begins to look like you have assembled a good enough squad as well.

Incidentally, Traoré was always considered to have great potential when at Chelsea and I have no doubt that JT gave him a good recommendation.  From what I know, he's a bit like his namesake at Wolves - blindingly quick and dangerous going forward but doesn't always make the best decisions and doesn't offer much cover defensively (which Trezequet does from what I have seen).  He's one of those where good coaching could make all the difference if the Villa staff can get inside his head.  If that happens you'll find yourselves with a top player I think.

If it were me, I'd be delighted with any top-half finish and anything over 50 points or so.  Villa could perhaps qualify for the Europa League but I'm not sure I'd be desperate for that if I were you, it puts a hell of a lot of pressure on a club.  I think Villa need another couple of seasons before they are ready for European football; it's not just a matter of having a big enough squad because you also have to account for the effect of only having 2 days to prepare for PL fixtures - even if you rest players in the EL, the focus doesn't come on to the weekend PL game until you have got the Thursday EL game out of the way.  That's why only the really big clubs - those that have squads built for the CL and a lot of experienced players - can really handle the EL without it damaging them in the PL.

As for the title, surely there are only 2 teams with any chance, possibly 3 because Mourinho has assembled Spurs' best balanced squad for a long time and he is a serial winner whether you like him or not?  Bale will be a huge signing for them and gives Spurs as good a front-3 as any team in Europe.  I don't see Chelsea or United challenging, both are works in progress and too defensively iffy.  Add Everton under Ancelotti (another serial winner that has radically improved his squad over the summer) and I think that's your top 6.  Villa are shooting at teams like Leicester, Wolves & Arsenal really and will do well to get amongst those.  I hope you do but 9th or 10th would be a great season really, wouldn't it?

Show some respect man, you’re dealing with the future champions of everything here afterall ;) 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, White_Wall said:

Chelsea visitor here.

I understand the pleasure you guys have in the great start, it has been nice to see.  Personally I have been to Villa Park a few times (and never seen Chelsea lose as it happens) and have a bit of a soft spot for your club, especially with JT there.  A strong Villa makes the PL better and there's no gainsaying that the Holte End in full throat is impressive (or used to be, anyway).  So that's all good.  But you are surely getting way ahead of yourselves thinking about the title.  Maybe it's more a relief that the corner seems to have been turned after a difficult few years for Villa and that you look like a team on the up.  Plenty of teams (WBA for example) manage to be yo-yo type clubs that vacillate between the Championship and the PL but Villa look like they may well break out of that level this season and start to establish themselves as a solid PL team.  The club is big and well-supported enough for that and it begins to look like you have assembled a good enough squad as well.

Incidentally, Traoré was always considered to have great potential when at Chelsea and I have no doubt that JT gave him a good recommendation.  From what I know, he's a bit like his namesake at Wolves - blindingly quick and dangerous going forward but doesn't always make the best decisions and doesn't offer much cover defensively (which Trezequet does from what I have seen).  He's one of those where good coaching could make all the difference if the Villa staff can get inside his head.  If that happens you'll find yourselves with a top player I think.

If it were me, I'd be delighted with any top-half finish and anything over 50 points or so.  Villa could perhaps qualify for the Europa League but I'm not sure I'd be desperate for that if I were you, it puts a hell of a lot of pressure on a club.  I think Villa need another couple of seasons before they are ready for European football; it's not just a matter of having a big enough squad because you also have to account for the effect of only having 2 days to prepare for PL fixtures - even if you rest players in the EL, the focus doesn't come on to the weekend PL game until you have got the Thursday EL game out of the way.  That's why only the really big clubs - those that have squads built for the CL and a lot of experienced players - can really handle the EL without it damaging them in the PL.

As for the title, surely there are only 2 teams with any chance, possibly 3 because Mourinho has assembled Spurs' best balanced squad for a long time and he is a serial winner whether you like him or not?  Bale will be a huge signing for them and gives Spurs as good a front-3 as any team in Europe.  I don't see Chelsea or United challenging, both are works in progress and too defensively iffy.  Add Everton under Ancelotti (another serial winner that has radically improved his squad over the summer) and I think that's your top 6.  Villa are shooting at teams like Leicester, Wolves & Arsenal really and will do well to get amongst those.  I hope you do but 9th or 10th would be a great season really, wouldn't it?

Welcome.

This thread is tongue in cheek mate, I doubt there is anyone on this forum who really believes we have any chance of a title outside of some freak sequence of events.

I also reckon 95% of us would be ecstatic with top 10.

Regardless, for the first time in a decade we aren't thoroughly depressed and worried about either relegation or liquidation.....

We actually look like we aren't a bad team finally, we are just venting all that pent up anxiety and stress from the last decade :), its nice to not be terrible for the first time in a long time.

As I say, would be ecstatic with top 10, anything above that is orgasmic time for where we are as a club currently.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, White_Wall said:

Can't wait to remind you of this quote at end of the season once we've won it....

@White_WallYep absolutely it's a thread for just a bit of fun .. a bit of light relief after all the nail biting stuff over the last few seasons (Last min promotion & escaping relegation by our finger nails etc). We all know the squad is still being built and top half would be a good finish this time out.

Â