Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

19 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Our fixture list for the rest of 2020 looks really nice. 

We could well be in the top 4 or close to it when January window opens. A couple of great signings and who the **** knows where we could end up. 

Let's hope Tony Cascarino is available. 

18 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The irony of Cascarino talking about Villa wasting money on forwards shouldn't be lost on anyone!

Yes, I nearly spat my morning coffee out when that came a post after the one which which prompted me to post the above. 

Edited by sidcow

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Damn it.  Our victory will be classed as nul and void now. 

For some reason I have a bad feeling about this Leeds game.

Then again, up until recently, over the last 10 years I have had bad feelings about most games :P

• Haha 1

So ideally, we want two top 4 clubs to win the FA and Carabao Cup, which would add 2 europa spots to the league (so top 7 qualify for some form of European competition)

Then we need a lot of luck and finish 7th :)

40 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

For some reason I have a bad feeling about this Leeds game.

Then again, up until recently, over the last 10 years I have had bad feelings about most games :P

With their injuries, we have a much better side than them. Especially on current form. 
We SHOULD win. However, I'm with you, I have a bad feeling! Losing Phillips is massive for them. 

3 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Well they got it right at the beginning. Classic pre-covid break Villa thing to do. Start off strong but bungle it right at the end

“Villans revolutionise the Premier League.

https://as.com/futbol/2020/10/19/internacional/1603129935_830235.html

To see an unbeaten start like this from Aston Villa, you have to go back to the 1930-31 season. Then in the old first division, the Villans of Birmingham were again in second place, only behind Arsenal who also started with 4 wins.”

I clocked this,  and assumed that they intentionally meant villains in the latter section. Villains in the sense that we will win the league and go on to dominate for years to come,  so everyone is going to hate us.

• Like 1

With England stalwart Kalvin Phillips injured Bielsa’s Leeds will  line up with a false central midfield and play with just 10 players on the pitch. The maverick genius said, “Technically we have won all our games this season and have been lucky to find ourselves let down by the outdated scoring system.” 

A spokesperson for the BBC agreed and added that they thought Villa had been the biggest beneficiaries so far of the old system and moves were afoot within the FA to address the problem.

Sources at Anfield suggest that any changes should be applied retrospectively and their recent narrow lose at Villa Park will be reversed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

So ideally, we want two top 4 clubs to win the FA and Carabao Cup, which would add 2 europa spots to the league (so top 7 qualify for some form of European competition)

Then we need a lot of luck and finish 7th :)

Just a shame that the seventh spot (/League Cup winners) goes in to the new Europa Conference League rather than Europa League. Would still be great to be in Europe though, regardless. It’s a nice thing to worry about!

16 hours ago, MadridVilla said:

Great piece in the Spanish media: The Villans revolutionise the Premier League.

https://as.com/futbol/2020/10/19/internacional/1603129935_830235.html

To see an unbeaten start like this from Aston Villa, you have to go back to the 1930-31 season. Then in the old first division, the Villans of Birmingham were again in second place, only behind Arsenal who also started with 4 wins.

Now, 90 years later, they have equalled this historic start after making an unbeaten start in the Premier League. 1-0 against Sheffield United, 0-3 against Fulham, 7-2 against Liverpool in a scoreline that went around the world, and 0-1 against Leicester to complete their winning start. In total, they have 12 points from 12 possible, scoring 12 goals and conceding 2. Villa are second behind Everton, with Ancelotti, James and co.

You shouldn't forget that 3 months ago, Villa managed to save themselves on the last day of the Premier League. It was a resurrection that came just in time, after seemingly being destined for the drop and it seemed their days were numbers in their first season back in the top flight. It was 4 games, paradoxically, that changed their destiny (2 wins and 2 draws) and was enough to secure their ticket for the Premier League next season.

To change the dynamic, the success in the last transfer window has been key. And they invested almost 85 million euros. Firstly, there has been a jump in the quality of the goalkeeper and defence. Emiliano Martínez, who arrived from Arsenal having won two trophies as the Gunners keeper (and still couldn't secure a spot in the starting XI), has elevated the level between the sticks for Aston Villa. 3 clean sheets in the 4 games they have played leaves him as the best keeper in the league. Also, alongside the partnership of Konsa and Mings and Targett, they added the right back Cash, who arrived having been the player of the season for Nottingham Forest.

In the middle, Dean Smith maintains the 2 midfielders with the brazilian Douglas Luiz and the scot John McGinn, who after his injuries will return to be one of the faithful squires of Villa Park. Playing the 'enganche' role, another quality reinforcement: Ross Barkley. The ex-England international arrives on loan from Chelsea, where his importance gradually fell and he finds himself aiming to relaunch his career (he scored the winning goal against Leicester).

On one of the wings they have kept the Egyptian Trezeguet. On the other, their main star Jack Grealish. With hair slicked back in the style of the Peaky Blinders and socks rolled down showing his shins, he shows quality in abundance. After nearly 5 seasons knocking on the door for England selection, Gareth Southgate gave him his debut after his impeccable start to the season: 4 goals and 3 assists were enough to pull on the 3 lions shirt. And upfront, Ollie Watkins is the gunner of the team. 5 goals, including a hat-trick against Liverpool in 35 minutes, are starting to pay off the 30 million fee that Villa paid to take him from Brentford.

A story that many have found similarities with is that of what happened with the fairy tale of Leicester City: from avoiding relegation at the last moment, to winning the Premier League. However, you have to remember that Aston Villa were European champions in 1981-82, as well as winning 7 league titles, 7 FA Cups, 5 League Cups and a European Super Cup. It's a more than enviable honours list of a team looking to return to being the true villains of England.

our faithful squire McGinn 🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rich192 said:

Just a shame that the seventh spot (/League Cup winners) goes in to the new Europa Conference League rather than Europa League. Would still be great to be in Europe though, regardless. It’s a nice thing to worry about!

A glorified InterToto Cup. I'll take it!

• Like 1

Â