Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Phillips - Out.
Grujic - (who I believe is more of a holding mid) played at centre half versus Wolves - Doubtful
Cooper - Doubtful

it's happening ron paul GIF

Do you mean Struijk, the centre back who played centre back against wolves? He is doubtful. Cooper is doubtful too.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Phillips - Out.
Grujic - (who I believe is more of a holding mid) played at centre half versus Wolves - Doubtful
Cooper - Doubtful

15 points in 5 games would be out of this world.

I might even bow down and kneel for Mr Smith

44 minutes ago, MadridVilla said:

Great piece in the Spanish media: The Villans revolutionise the Premier League.

https://as.com/futbol/2020/10/19/internacional/1603129935_830235.html

To see an unbeaten start like this from Aston Villa, you have to go back to the 1930-31 season. Then in the old first division, the Villans of Birmingham were again in second place, only behind Arsenal who also started with 4 wins.

Now, 90 years later, they have equalled this historic start after making an unbeaten start in the Premier League. 1-0 against Sheffield United, 0-3 against Fulham, 7-2 against Liverpool in a scoreline that went around the world, and 0-1 against Leicester to complete their winning start. In total, they have 12 points from 12 possible, scoring 12 goals and conceding 2. Villa are second behind Everton, with Ancelotti, James and co.

You shouldn't forget that 3 months ago, Villa managed to save themselves on the last day of the Premier League. It was a resurrection that came just in time, after seemingly being destined for the drop and it seemed their days were numbers in their first season back in the top flight. It was 4 games, paradoxically, that changed their destiny (2 wins and 2 draws) and was enough to secure their ticket for the Premier League next season.

To change the dynamic, the success in the last transfer window has been key. And they invested almost 85 million euros. Firstly, there has been a jump in the quality of the goalkeeper and defence. Emiliano Martínez, who arrived from Arsenal having won two trophies as the Gunners keeper (and still couldn't secure a spot in the starting XI), has elevated the level between the sticks for Aston Villa. 3 clean sheets in the 4 games they have played leaves him as the best keeper in the league. Also, alongside the partnership of Konsa and Mings and Targett, they added the right back Cash, who arrived having been the player of the season for Nottingham Forest.

In the middle, Dean Smith maintains the 2 midfielders with the brazilian Douglas Luiz and the scot John McGinn, who after his injuries will return to be one of the faithful squires of Villa Park. Playing the 'enganche' role, another quality reinforcement: Ross Barkley. The ex-England international arrives on loan from Chelsea, where his importance gradually fell and he finds himself aiming to relaunch his career (he scored the winning goal against Leicester).

On one of the wings they have kept the Egyptian Trezeguet. On the other, their main star Jack Grealish. With hair slicked back in the style of the Peaky Blinders and socks rolled down showing his shins, he shows quality in abundance. After nearly 5 seasons knocking on the door for England selection, Gareth Southgate gave him his debut after his impeccable start to the season: 4 goals and 3 assists were enough to pull on the 3 lions shirt. And upfront, Ollie Watkins is the gunner of the team. 5 goals, including a hat-trick against Liverpool in 35 minutes, are starting to pay off the 30 million fee that Villa paid to take him from Brentford.

A story that many have found similarities with is that of what happened with the fairy tale of Leicester City: from avoiding relegation at the last moment, to winning the Premier League. However, you have to remember that Aston Villa were European champions in 1981-82, as well as winning 7 league titles, 7 FA Cups, 5 League Cups and a European Super Cup. It's a more than enviable honours list of a team looking to return to being the true villains of England.

Good article but not impressed by the last line ‘...a team looking to return to being the true villains of England.” 🙂 

1 hour ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Good article but not impressed by the last line ‘...a team looking to return to being the true villains of England.” 🙂 

Haha, I think it's just a bad translation. You'd be surprised how many people think our nickname is 'Villains'.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Phillips - Out.
Cooper - Doubtful

Haha the it's happening man is just great!

And I love your avatar too... Dave Angel! 👍 He's so funny, definitely one of my favourite characters from The Fast Show.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

If we are in or close to the Europe places in Jan... What a great enticement for any targets. 

It compels the board to think big

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

When you look at the injuries Liverpool had against us with Mane and Allison out, then Leicester had Vardy and their CBs injured, now Leeds best player injured right before our game. 

We’ve had some good fortune in this opening to the season!

Edited by LondonLax

10 hours ago, MadridVilla said:

Haha, I think it's just a bad translation. You'd be surprised how many people think our nickname is 'Villains'.

Well they got it right at the beginning. Classic pre-covid break Villa thing to do. Start off strong but bungle it right at the end

“Villans revolutionise the Premier League.

https://as.com/futbol/2020/10/19/internacional/1603129935_830235.html

To see an unbeaten start like this from Aston Villa, you have to go back to the 1930-31 season. Then in the old first division, the Villans of Birmingham were again in second place, only behind Arsenal who also started with 4 wins.”

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Bit harsh to say we wasted money on forwards when Wesley got injured and Jota was basically swapped for Gardner, but why bother doing actual research. Not quite sure we have "few" players leaving for internationals either, plus Cash, Konsa and Barkley are likely to be added to that list soon not to mention Watkins and Targett knocking on the door. Oh that's the entire best XI then, as well as bench players like Traore, Heaton, Elmo (?) and possibly Heaton and Wesley when they're back.

I was going to write just this. It's unbelievable how little professional pundits understand about the game. They're just lazy chancers.

• Thanks 1

Â