Mass Effect Trilogy - Remastered

Dante_Lockhart

Seen a fair few reports now of websites listing this and then removing it. Nothing from EA/Bioware yet, but peeps are talking about a mid October release date.

Don't know about you, but I'd grab this in a heartbeat. ME was one of my favourite games, and despite the way 3 was handled, there series is still up there in my top 5. If they're remastered it for current consoles (maybe even next gen) and ironed out some of the bugs and loading issues (mainly framerate) they you bet your ass I'll be buying it day 1.

Never got around to completing 3 (though from the shitstorm I remember going round at the time maybe that's a good thing?) so could be tempted to pick this up if cheap enough.  First game's probably going to have aged quite badly at this point but I enjoyed the second so much that it could sway me on it's own, provided it's not just some half-arsed, shat-out-in-5 minutes EA port with marginally better graphics or something... yeah it's totally gonna just be that, isn't it?

Now a remastered/remade KOTOR series on the other hand...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

First game's probably going to have aged quite badly at this point

I've said it a number of times on here, but the first is my favourite of the series. I found it so incredibly immersive, that as much as the gameplay was improved particularly in the second one, I still preferred the first. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

N7 day (November 7th) is this weekend - and there's online event been organised with a bunch of the original voice actors. This is quite a departure from previous years, where Bioware may merely make a Twitter post or something. Not only could this a) be an indication of an announcement of the remaster, but b) could it also indicate that they are recording new lines?

I'm sold on a remaster anyway. I'm assuming it would include all of the DLC off the bat, which would be great, a proper definitive edition. What would be even better, though, would be a slightly reworked version. Perhaps the much debated ending has had some more work done to it (again)? Extra side missions? More side stories with the crew?

Hopefully positive news to come.

19 hours ago, hogso said:

N7 day (November 7th) is this weekend - and there's online event been organised with a bunch of the original voice actors. This is quite a departure from previous years, where Bioware may merely make a Twitter post or something. Not only could this a) be an indication of an announcement of the remaster, but b) could it also indicate that they are recording new lines?

I'm sold on a remaster anyway. I'm assuming it would include all of the DLC off the bat, which would be great, a proper definitive edition. What would be even better, though, would be a slightly reworked version. Perhaps the much debated ending has had some more work done to it (again)? Extra side missions? More side stories with the crew?

Hopefully positive news to come.

PRAISE TO THE REAPERS!

The new versions will not be full remakes, but BioWare intends to improve them so players can experience them in their "best possible form," according to the official announcement. That means better resolutions and frame rates, and all single-player DLC and promotional items will also be included. Elements such as textures, shaders, character models, and effects will all be improved for the Legendary Edition.

Edited by Dante_Lockhart

Very good news. I'm curious as to what exactly the changes (if any) there will be for next gen (or if they're simply referring to the fact it'll play better out of the box by virtue of being run on a new console), and it seems as though the multi player elements have been taken out. 

That's a curious one, cos I'm sure in the third game you couldn't get the max points, or whatever they were, without doing at least some multi player matches. 

3 hours ago, hogso said:

Very good news. I'm curious as to what exactly the changes (if any) there will be for next gen (or if they're simply referring to the fact it'll play better out of the box by virtue of being run on a new console), and it seems as though the multi player elements have been taken out. 

That's a curious one, cos I'm sure in the third game you couldn't get the max points, or whatever they were, without doing at least some multi player matches. 

They'll likely just tweak some values. Multiplayer was required to get to 100% galactic readiness. They'll probably just make it so every single player action on the galactic map is worth more.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ender4 said:

What is Mass Effect and is it worth playing this remastered version if:

1) you have no idea what it’s about

2) you like playing the latest modern AAA game

3) You only play a few games per year due to time constraints

Do you like Sci fi? Star trek, Firefly, Farscape, Babylon 5, that kind of thing? 

If the answer to that is yes, it's pretty essential stuff. It's the closest a video game has ever gotten to truly emulating those kind of shows in a game, you could argue in ways they surpass them, actually. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, hogso said:

Do you like Sci fi? Star trek, Firefly, Farscape, Babylon 5, that kind of thing? 

If the answer to that is yes, it's pretty essential stuff. It's the closest a video game has ever gotten to truly emulating those kind of shows in a game, you could argue in ways they surpass them, actually. 

Yes I love sci-fi though have never seen Firefly, Farscape or Babylon 5!

Errmmm, I liked The 100, Travelers, BattleStar Galactica.

Mass Effect as a series is like Star Trek but with Star Wars tone and sensibilities. It's greatest success is it develops an absolutely brilliant world, undoubtedly one of, if not the, best sci fi universes in the world of gaming. It has wonderful concepts, brilliant design, great 'flavour' stuff to build the world. It then fills it with excellent characters - some arguably in the running for best characters in gaming ever. 

It's gameplay is more difficult. The first game is messy. Its the most RPG of the lot. The game was intended to combine classic RPG mechanics with more traditional third person action gameplay, and in the first game there's a lot more RPG stuff with loads of inventory work and the action is weaker. And it infamously had performance problems - it's renowned for long loads and awful texture pop in. But it has a good story and some people really liked the heavier RPG elements. 2 ditches a lot of the classic RPG stuff and leans heavier into the action gameplay, which is much improved, and it has an absolutely brilliant story (...mostly). 3 refines the 2 gameplay but it's story kinda collapses under the weight of it all.

One of the big selling points of the series was that decisions mattered - at various points you can alter the storyline with your decisions and, importantly, those decisions would be reflected in the following games. Which meant by the time 3 came around the expectations of a payoff for all these decisions over 5 years of games was enormous, and they kinda fluffed it.

It's a really great series. 2 is one of the best games of the 360/PS3 era. I would absolutely recommend at the very least giving that game a go. 1 is great but it's mechanics were a little ropey at launch and I can't imagine time has helped it on that front, though new hardware and a remaster should fix the performance issues. 3 is probably the most refined an action game in the series but it's reliant on the story knowledge of the earlier games and it's the weakest of the lot in its own narrative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1 and 2 were abolutely brilliant, I think I just preferred 1 due to the greater depth and variety to the characters, but the gameplay in 2 was the best.  3 was good, but a bit like Game of Thrones on the tellybox, the ending bollocksed up what had gone before.  And like Rocky V, I try to pretend that Andromeda doesn't exist.

• 1 month later...

Latest Bioware blog is worth a read if you're interesting in the upcoming changes for the remaster - particularly those for the first game. The Mako will be easier drive around and stuff, apparently, with some other changes to the gunplay to bring it more in line with the other 2 games.

• Like 2

Â