Week 2 - Baker's On Burrowed Time.

Brumerican

I'm looking forward to tonight's game more than Jags @ Titans as Henry destroys us every blooming time and I saw little improvement in our run D on Sunday.

If the Browns don't win tonight then I think their FO will need to have a really good think about their future.

Firstly, that's a genius thread title so 👏 @Brumerican

As for the Browns. Very happy to win but am I the only one that is was worried about that passing defence? Sure, Burrow threw more times than most backups throw in a season so the YPA was low but still, those fourth down completions and the fourth quarter comeback was down to shredding the DBs and LBs. The run defence looks stout so teams are just going to turn up and sling it and that means the offence needs to perform consistently to compensate for the defence.

The offence was great. It was exactly the kind of football I love to watch and Chubb and Hunt are a special pair. However, the passing game was a bit meh in my opinion, and I remain bemused as to why the TEs are seeing so little of the ball. I can't help but point the finger at Baker because for all his skill and arm, I only see him as a mid level QB - Rivers, Jimmy G, Tannehill. He's prone to too many mistakes, he doesn't see the whole field and I'm starting to worry that he might not be the guy. The question of the 5th year option and subsequent contract renewal is going to be interesting to follow. Then again, this is the Browns and they cant afford to be fussy.

Good game, good result, onto week 3.

• Like 3

Just now, Tubby said:

A stopped clock and all that ...

Baker has talent but he only seems to work at the NFL level when running RPO's  .  After just 2 games Burrow has shown he can stand in the pocket and throw lasers without flapping. 

I actually think the Browns would be a playoff team if they traded away  OBJ . A thirsty WR just isn't a good fit for a team with 2 elite RB's and a QB who can't throw in the pocket.

8 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

A stopped clock and all that ...

Baker has talent but he only seems to work at the NFL level when running RPO's  .  After just 2 games Burrow has shown he can stand in the pocket and throw lasers without flapping. 

I actually think the Browns would be a playoff team if they traded away  OBJ . A thirsty WR just isn't a good fit for a team with 2 elite RB's and a QB who can't throw in the pocket.

Possibly, but he does have game breaking seperation that is useful in this kind of offence. I don't see him having too long of a future at the Browns though, especially as colleges seem to be churning out WRs at the moment. 

I agree that they should de-prioritse him, especially in short yardage and underneath routes. That's Landry, Hunt and Hooper territory. Quick throws underneath should be obvious given Bakers lack of pocket ability.

Hey ho, Stefanski looks like a bit of a genius that doesn't suffer fools gladly and I have full confidence that he'll fix it in the short and long term.

Edited by Tubby
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tubby said:

As for the Browns. Very happy to win but am I the only one that is was worried about that passing defence? Sure, Burrow threw more times than most backups throw in a season so the YPA was low but still, those fourth down completions and the fourth quarter comeback was down to shredding the DBs and LBs. The run defence looks stout so teams are just going to turn up and sling it and that means the offence needs to perform consistently to compensate for the defence.

The offence was great. It was exactly the kind of football I love to watch and Chubb and Hunt are a special pair. However, the passing game was a bit meh in my opinion, and I remain bemused as to why the TEs are seeing so little of the ball. I can't help but point the finger at Baker because for all his skill and arm, I only see him as a mid level QB - Rivers, Jimmy G, Tannehill. He's prone to too many mistakes, he doesn't see the whole field and I'm starting to worry that he might not be the guy. The question of the 5th year option and subsequent contract renewal is going to be interesting to follow. Then again, this is the Browns and they cant afford to be fussy.

Good game, good result, onto week 3.

Apart from Ward the pass defence was picked apart. Special teams coverage a major issue also.

Â