WM Football phone in

Follyfoot

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

I remember they players coming out to this a Villa Park as a kid but do we know why we chose it???

It’s called song from an unmade silent movie by Hurricane Smith. Absolutely no idea why it was used but always makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up as it reminds me how good the Villa were in this period. Even had it as my ringtone years ago, Would love to know why it was used 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

It’s called song from an unmade silent movie by Hurricane Smith. Absolutely no idea why it was used but always makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up as it reminds me how good the Villa were in this period. Even had it as my ringtone years ago, Would love to know why it was used 

You might need to call Andy Cash record shop for that answer !

12 hours ago, mottaloo said:

It was Brian Savin, who although he was a wheelchair user, he wasn't the vicar....fairly sure that was a different presenter who did a late nite slot....was it the vicar of aston parish church....John something ?

This from Wiki:

In 1984, Butler was sacked from BRMB after a row with fellow broadcaster Brian Savin, who is disabled. Savin had sent a note to Butler complaining about coverage of a cricket match over-running into his show; Butler was said to have found the content of the note offensive and confronted Savin, pulling him out of his chair during the ensuing argument. The dismissal of such a high-profile personality was front-page news in Birmingham, and programmes on BRMB were severely affected as some of Butler's former colleagues walked out on strike.

Butler later commented that the matter had been blown out of all proportion, claiming that he remained friends with Savin. He preferred to attribute the sacking to a general falling-out with BRMB management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talking of old Radio shows, anyone remember the Asian that used to keep phoning Tom Ross from "The Drakesey Drum"? Can't remember his name, Ranjit or something. He was very funny.

He also wasn't Asian :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Talking of old Radio shows, anyone remember the Asian that used to keep phoning Tom Ross from "The Drakesey Drum"? Can't remember his name, Ranjit or something. He was very funny.

He also wasn't Asian :)

Ashok. That pub was down the road from my old house but I'd never go in there.

He's dead now, apparently; announced it on one of the phone ins years ago 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Ashok. That pub was down the road from my old house but I'd never go in there.

He's dead now, apparently; announced it on one of the phone ins years ago 

That's him.

I used to go in the Drakes Drum for a period, around the time we played Cov Felchers and sent them down.

After the match we all got hammered and spent about an hour phoning random Coventry numbers sing "WHO PUT THE COV DOWN" at them.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Didn't Butler do the WM Footie phone-in before Fransky took it over?

Yeah finished on WM in '09 but did 3 years on capital Gold with Ron Toss before packing it in.

17 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Norman Hurricane Smith. 

He was a recording engineer for the Beatles and producer for Pink Floyd before embarking on a solo singing career.

• Like 1

Haha, according to the small heath caller on now it doesn't matter what league you play in, if a striker scores goals he'll do it anywhere.

Makes perfect sense 😂😂😂

47 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Have i missed erdo Pete ? Splutterin' eddie ?

Eddie the inbred was on, Pete The Reet(ard) was not, for a change.

• Like 1

Â