• Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Luiz (Ramsey 71)
    • Davis (Watkins 71)
    • Jota (El Ghazi 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/09/20 at 22:59

Strange game. Sort of a competitive pre season game. Competitive for them, pre season for us.

I think a few players failed to get a move away tonight, a few failed to show they're up for a start in the first team and a few showed that they can be counted on if needed. I think Elmo and Nakamba will be good enough as backups. Ramsey is one for the future. Will hopefully/probably get some game time this season. Davis too.

AEG, Hause and Taylor can't be backups.

Jota, Nyland and Lansbury needs a move. Well, Nyland wasn't exactly terrible, but he's not good enough IMO. I like Jota but he's way too slow. Should've had him in the Championship.

We really need at least one new winger/forward in.

Grealish, great as always, Luiz has kept his form, Watkins will most likely score a few goals this season and Mings is like he always is. Good but a bit arrogant from time to time.

The important thing is that we're through and seemingly without injuries. We'll have a whole other starting 11 on Monday.

25 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Lansbury was terrible. 40k a week for that trash. Bloody Bruce.

Taylor rubbish must replace.

If El Ghazi can't give a team like Burton the run around he is going to struggle again this season.

Missed Mcginn's energy in midfield.

Luiz is the only other player in the squad near Jack's level.

Watkins is very lively. Looks an asset. 

If Davis' finishing was Premier league standard he'd be verging on world class. The lad is such a beast. Needs a season on loan, playing every game.

Elmo was spraying passes all over the gaff. If he was good defensively we could just have him sit back, hold position and hit the runners with those passes.

Team was disjointed, really needed marauding fullbacks. McGinn and Luiz are a different class, so obviously not the same in midfield without them. 

Taylor final pass for the first goal, Lansbury heavily involved in Grealish goal, but they are scapegoats so carry on. We are a developing premier league squad our back up players are going to be limited at the moment , our first choice don’t compare to the best premier league teams we have to accept it takes time to develop a strong premier league club. No more than three of the starting line up tonight will start against Sheffield United on Monday. Let’s see what happens and then respond based on the result.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

The thing that stuck out with me with Ramsey is he was receiving the same exact quality of ball from the centre halfs as Nakamba was. Nakamba looked rushed. Ramsey's trapping of it was vastly superior plus he always turns towards the opposition goal first to see if that pass is on. If you can play a forward ball, instantly takes pressure off your back 4. Gonna be good this guy .

So he is better than Nakamba based on 70 minutes against league one opposition , we need back up players when our top players are injured, it’s a positive then because we now have two backups rather than one. The negativity against Nakamba is misplaced, don’t forget Gueye was considered to be shit on here.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jimcohen said:

Fair enough. Though Taylor was ok. He won’t ever be much better coz he ain’t much better. But he never got beat, didn’t misplace many passes and got an assist so 6 seems fair. Nakamba gave it away a lot and offered very little in the game. He had one good bit of tracking back but against a lower league side I’d say you need more than that really. Footy is all about opinions I guess! 

Taylor had the worst pass completion of any villa player (69%).

From our back 4, he attempted and won the lowest number of tackles, aerial duels and individual duels.

Lost possession 17 times, equal worst with Mings.

Only Watkins, Lansbury and Ramsey had fewer touches.

Nakamba on the other had had a pass completion of 81%, not great but still better.

Attempted and won the highest number of tackles.  Attempted and won the most individual battles.  And won his 2 aerial duels.

Lost possession 14 times, but thats still better than Mings, Taylor, Elmo, Hause, Lansbury, Grealish and Watkins.

Had the 2nd highest number of touches behind Mings, and recovered possession twice as many times as any other villa player.

If you think Taylor was the better player tonight, I'm afraid you are mistaken.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Taylor had the worst pass completion of any villa player (69%).

From our back 4, he attempted and won the lowest number of tackles, aerial duels and individual duels.

Lost possession 17 times, equal worst with Mings.

Only Watkins, Lansbury and Ramsey had fewer touches.

Nakamba on the other had had a pass completion of 81%, not great but still better.

Attempted and won the highest number of tackles.  Attempted and won the most individual battles.  And won his 2 aerial duels.

Lost possession 14 times, but thats still better than Mings, Taylor, Elmo, Hause, Lansbury, Grealish and Watkins.

Had the 2nd highest number of touches behind Mings, and recovered possession twice as many times as any other villa player.

If you think Taylor was the better player tonight, I'm afraid you are mistaken.

Guess I’m mistaken then. Nakamba played DCM against a team that offered close to nothing when we had the ball 3/4 of the game. Those stats just follow that for me. Anyone in that role against that team with that style would have those stats. Taylor on the other hand tired to get forward and play some more attacking balls, crosses and through balls. Much harder passes to get completion stats on. He also got one assist. A better stat than most bar goals for me. But I respect your opinion and admire your stats! 

• Like 1

Some player ratings from tonights match:

Nyland: 5 - had very little to do, couldn't stop them scoring but wasn't at fault.  His only save was pretty basic.  Distribution was appauling.

Elmo: 4 - out of position most of the game leaving Hause too much to do at RB.  Most crosses (20) of any player but only 2 met inside the box.  Passing accuracy of 79% is poor.  I think he's done.

Taylor: 5 - worst pass completion on the night, and defensive stats the worst of our back 4.  Gets an extra point over Elmo for the assist, though he knew little about it.

Hause: 5 - pretty sloppy with the ball, not very convincing off it.  Best aerial duel rate in the team, but also lost possession often.  Needs replacing.

Mings: 5 - bad night for him.  Most touches, but also the most misplaced passes, highest loss of possession and most long balls.  Most individual errors leading to a chance (2).

Ramsey: 6 - got into some nice positions but failed to really make an impact.  Lowest number of tackles and recoveries from our midfield, and only Watkins had less touches.  Promise, but not ready.

Nakamba: 7 - defensively, very good, but jis passing lets him down.  I think there is a player in there, would like to see him play a match with luiz and mcginn.

Lansbury: 3 - the lad has talent, when you see those raking 40 yard passes on the money so often, but he puts 8n so little effort.  If 9nly he had a good attitude/work ethic, but he has wasted his talent.  Time to go.

El Ghazi: 4 - he has pace, tricks, etc. But where were they tonight? Crossing was only not the worst thanks to a nightmare by Elmo and his set plays were shocking.

Grealish: 8 - Clearly rusty, tried to hard at times, and can be a little too selfish.  That said, he makes everything happen and is clearly our best player by some distance.

Watkins: 6 - should have had a hattrick for me.  Got 8nto great positions and looks to fit in well.  Got a point for the goal, and lost it for the miss.  Early days, but he looks like he will be dangerous.

Jota: 6 - he was poor, lost possession a lot, but he created chances.  Hes too slow for the PL though.

Luiz: 7 - as others have said, his presence settles the team.  Hardly put a foot wrong and set up the 3rd goal.  I do think we need cover for him though, as he wont play every game, and we will miss him.

Davis: 7 - he splits us all, doesn't he? His stats outside scoring are always decent, he holds it well, runs with it well, wins a good amount in the air, and today he scored.  Do that more often, and you'll be a player!

Its clear we have a lot more work to do 8n this window, few from this game should be in the matchday squad based on this showing, and its only 1 or 2 injuries from reality.

Get busy DS and co.

Lots to do.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jimcohen said:

Guess I’m mistaken then. Nakamba played DCM against a team that offered close to nothing when we had the ball 3/4 of the game. Those stats just follow that for me. Anyone in that role against that team with that style would have those stats. Taylor on the other hand tired to get forward and play some more attacking balls, crosses and through balls. Much harder passes to get completion stats on. He also got one assist. A better stat than most bar goals for me. But I respect your opinion and admire your stats! 

In the final 3rd Nakamba completed and attempted more passes than Taylor, so you are still mistaken. 

43 minutes ago, smg said:

So he is better than Nakamba based on 70 minutes against league one opposition , we need back up players when our top players are injured, it’s a positive then because we now have two backups rather than one. The negativity against Nakamba is misplaced, don’t forget Gueye was considered to be shit on here.

I agree with @smg here, whilst Ramsey got into great positions, his stats with the ball are pretty poor.

Potential is there, but him and Nakamba will never compete for the same position.  Ramsey is an attacking player and Nakamba is defensive.

Attacking players are more noticed as they do the flashy sexy stuff and not the boring mucky stuff

Edited by flashingqwerty
Typo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I agree with @smg here, whilst Ramsey got into great positions, his stats with the ball are pretty poor.

Potential is there, but him and Nakamba will never compete for the same position.  Ramsey is an attacking player and Nakamba is defensive.

Attacking players are more noticed as they do the flashy sexy stuff and not the boring mucky stuff

Sadly the boring mucky stuff will always be ignored but without it top teams will never be successful someone has to do it and granted Luiz might do it better at the moment but who knows how Nakamba might develop, not so long ago Idrissa Gueye was deemed to be shit on here, I’m not sure he is too bothered now with his recent successes.

34 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Mucky can be sexy. Well that's what my browsing history suggests.

• Haha 1

Felt like a glorified pre-season friendly to me with no crowd and the players seemed to be humming along in 2nd gear most of the night. As a result, despite our dominance of possession we failed to create chances and trouble the 17yr old in goal apart from that five minute patch at the end of the first half when Watkins scored and then hit the bar.

When Douglas Luiz came on I thought he upped the tempo and we looked a better side as a result.  In the end we got the result we needed which is all that matters I guess.

11 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

Absolutely this. Devastatingly good in every department, apart from.... This is why we're not giving up on him. Patience will hopefully bring big reward here.

Agree with this, Davies has many of the attributes required.

Re: Drogba and his scoring record, it improved drastically around 24-25 years old. Davies is still only 22 years old....he also offers way more than King Samatta!

Â