• Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Luiz (Ramsey 71)
    • Davis (Watkins 71)
    • Jota (El Ghazi 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/09/20 at 22:59

Grealish superb and Davis and Luiz made a massive difference. Davis is such a good player in all aspects other than scoring but if this goal gives him confidence he could easily be our second striker. You don’t often see big strong target men with such ability to know what’s going on around them with flicks and back heels and such.

• Like 2

Lot of second stringers - amazed at the grief they were getting in the match thread. I didn't think any of them were that poor. Never had much time for Jota but looked great in the few minutes he had. We still seem to overplay in the final 3rd - but hopefully Watkins scoring regularly will make us less tense in the final third.

• Like 2

Dominated the game but we were very sloppy. Crossing was poor the passing was laboured . Yet we should have scored 6/7. 

However how good was Ramsey, how stunningly amazing was it to see Davis score. We can say that 15.9.20 I witnessed it go into the net. And captain looks better and fitter than last season. He's definitely added half a yard. Scary. 

First game cobwebs.

Get Rashica in. Get Martinez in. Get Traore in. 

Please get Santamaria in. 

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

mostly awful, some passages of play it reminded me of some of worst performances last season, no urgency, ball going backwards, no pace on the break. I lost track of how many moves broke down due to Taylor or El Ghazi.

That aside there were moments we also looked really good, but we seemed to play like it was a training ground match.

Thought Ramsey didn't look out of place. Watkins looked dangerous.

A Davis goal, what a collectors item!

Gave Ramsey MOTM over Grealish because I expect that from Jack.  Jacob is going to be some player .

Good result that was completely ruined by the disgusting language throughout the game. This was pre watershed and Sky should be ashamed of themselves.

• Haha 1

Grealish goal made it worthwhile watching.

Good to see Ramsey get a start, did okay but faded a bit as the game went on.

I have no idea how Lansbury stayed on the pitch or what his role was supposed to be, but then I guess it’s obligatory that he plays in the league cup (unless we get to an advanced stage).

Great to see Watkins get his first goal, hopefully the first of many, shame he couldn’t keep that second one under the bar, had he done so I think we’d have ended up scoring four or five.

Accomplished finish from Davis against a rookie keeper, hopefully instils some confidence in him.

Nyland. Terrible distribution. 3

Elmo. Ok.6

Hause. Terrible passing. 4

Mings. Lazy performance. 5

Taylor. Won’t ever be much better so limited but got assist. 6

Nakamba. Just can’t pass. 5

Lansbury. Awful. 1. One good corner otherwise 0

Ramsey. Promising. 6

El Ghazi  Tried but limited  5

Jack. Perhaps tried a bit too hard but class 8

Watkins. Missed a sitter but looks class 7

• Confused 1

First game back against a team who have nothing to lose and fair play to Burton, they took it to us early and got their reward. 

For me, despite being a goal behind for most of the first half, there only looked like one team in it. We looked ok, rusty yes, but always on top. If that was us against Liverpool or Man City, the statement would have been something along the lines of “they didn’t get out of second gear”. 

I think that was the perfect first game for us, competitive but one that should blow the cobwebs off and give us some confidence. 

oh, and hopefully that was Taylor’s last competitive game! 

Important things achieved, that's all that matters in this game:

- got through to the next round

- no injuries

- gave the fringe players a chance to prove themselves/prove they aren't worth keeping

- Davis scored

-Watkins scored on his debut (and looked very very good)

Overall, not an enjoyable watch but with the above achieved, alongside the obvious, today is a very good day. 

2 minutes ago, jimcohen said:

Nyland. Terrible distribution. 3

Elmo. Ok.6

Hause. Terrible passing. 4

Mings. Lazy performance. 5

Taylor. Won’t ever be much better so limited but got assist. 6

Nakamba. Just can’t pass. 5

Lansbury. Awful. 1. One good corner otherwise 0

Ramsey. Promising. 6

El Ghazi  Tried but limited  5

Jack. Perhaps tried a bit too hard but class 8

Watkins. Missed a sitter but looks class 7

Giving Nakamba a lower rating than Taylor and the same as AEG????? **** hell man. Are you visually impaired? 

• Haha 2

Positives: 

We won

Davis scored a goal

Watkins got his debut goal

At least half of this side won't be starting in games that count.

Negatives:

That was **** shite. Without Grealish we are a shell of a side. Such a poor game of football, talk about puncturing pre season optimism, our back ups are terrible.

Even Watkins was a bit poor, got.the one goal, but £33m pound strikers do not miss from 2 yards. We could have gone in ahead and relaxed, instead we had to.bring on Luiz etc and Jack had to play the whole game.

So flat, sluggish and uninspired. Without Grealish, Burton would almost certainly certainly have won. So toothless.

I do acknowledge this is the first game, against a side with men behind the ball, but that was not a fun watch. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Â