• Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Luiz (Ramsey 71)
    • Davis (Watkins 71)
    • Jota (El Ghazi 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/09/20 at 22:59

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

My thoughts.

We didn't look like we bothered. Looked like a preseason match.

AEG, Hause and Taylor just aren't good enough. Move them on. Replace.

Lansbury we might struggle to get rid, but I can't see any point to him playing further matches. 

Grealish and Watkins looked like they had an understanding. 

Excellent curved/timed run by Davis and lovely finish. 

Ramsey looked good. 

WDFAFC

I'm going to bed.

Sleep well

Lansbury was terrible. 40k a week for that trash. Bloody Bruce.

Taylor rubbish must replace.

If El Ghazi can't give a team like Burton the run around he is going to struggle again this season.

Missed Mcginn's energy in midfield.

Luiz is the only other player in the squad near Jack's level.

Watkins is very lively. Looks an asset. 

If Davis' finishing was Premier league standard he'd be verging on world class. The lad is such a beast. Needs a season on loan, playing every game.

Elmo was spraying passes all over the gaff. If he was good defensively we could just have him sit back, hold position and hit the runners with those passes.

Team was disjointed, really needed marauding fullbacks. McGinn and Luiz are a different class, so obviously not the same in midfield without them. 

• Like 1

That should have blown a few cobwebs away. Burton gave no quarter and shook us with their early goal. We had the possession for a change, but penalties looked increasingly likely until Jack rounded off an exceptional performance with the winner. Nice to see Davis add a late third as well. Job done, now let's get ready for Sheffield next week and try to get another couple of signings over the line. First of many from Ollie tonight, I think.🤞

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Just now, Philosopher said:

If Davis' finishing was Premier league standard he'd be verging on world class. The lad is such a beast. Needs a season on loan, playing every game.

Absolutely this. Devastatingly good in every department, apart from.... This is why we're not giving up on him. Patience will hopefully bring big reward here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I dunno mate, but he was ok today. Did some very good defensive stuff. Had one unfortunate slip, but was miles better at his respective job than AEG or Taylor imo. 

Fair enough. Though Taylor was ok. He won’t ever be much better coz he ain’t much better. But he never got beat, didn’t misplace many passes and got an assist so 6 seems fair. Nakamba gave it away a lot and offered very little in the game. He had one good bit of tracking back but against a lower league side I’d say you need more than that really. Footy is all about opinions I guess! 

2 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Absolutely this. Devastatingly good in every department, apart from.... This is why we're not giving up on him. Patience will hopefully bring big reward here.

He’s a player but from another discussion he maybe playing out of position.

3 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Or to put it another way, let's hope he has a career like Benteke in reverse.

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Dean Smith in the post match interview 😂:

"I've seen a few no look passes but not sure I've seen any no look receives before"

Hahaha

That has to be the new young tapping on gabbys shoulder meme that pass from Jack to Taylor and Taylor looking over his shoulder the wrong way! 

• Haha 2

Funny one that: had the feeling of a preseason match. Jack wanted to shine and certainly did so: he’s some player. Wish he wouldn’t come so deep so often but there’s little instigation from elsewhere.

Watkins was lively and looked at home in the shirt. 

Ramsey was bright and Nakamba battled - albeit with some positional errors when he tried to go forward. 

Disappointed by AEG. Thought he might be up for it with rumours of incoming wingers. Jota  certainly looked motivated. 

Henri was as expected. He managed to be a passenger in a match against players who are technically far weaker than him. We looked like a different team when Doug came on. 

Neil Taylor is Neil Taylor: doesn’t suit the system. Elmo was off the pace for much of the match.

Set pieces were terrible. 

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache

8 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I’m hoping it’s a confidence thing as you always hear reports of him scoring loads in training and his all round play is right up there with any striker I’ve seen.

Good competitive run out. Showed good energy levels, albeit against lower league opposition but Burton always make it difficult. Bossed the whole game and should’ve bagged one or two more really. Grealish head and shoulders above the rest. Watkins looked lively and wanting to be on the end of everything. Makes such a change to see that hunger in a Villa striker. And like the look of Jacob Ramsey. Looked very comfortable and confident on the ball. 

Nakamba chewed up a lot of the play but doesn’t ever look like he’s comfortable on the ball. His second touch is usually a tackle but he broke up play well enough tonight I felt. No one else shone really. Eight of this team don’t start in the Prem but the reserve players are fairly average. El Ghazi continues to frustrate through his ineffectiveness, Lansbury much like a passenger with no real consistent influence across midfield. Taylor, despite his assist, should be nowhere near this team. In any game. Baffles me how we’re looking to potentially move on Guilbert yet aren’t pushing for competition with Targett on the left. Real weak spot for us. 

Hope we build on quality across squad depth in next couple of weeks. Good to kick off the campaign with a win.

Edited by roonst83

Very promising. Sure the performances weren't great, but we started a lot of fringe/ squad players to give them a run out.

No Mcginn, Konsa, Cash, Trez, Targett, Luiz (other than 20 mins). New signings a plenty to come as well (Traore/ Rashica / Martinez + more).

It's an exciting time to be a Villan.

We got a result with several players that may even struggle to be on the bench this season... 

Edited by ChicagoVillan1983

Â