Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

15 minutes ago, MentalM said:

My meaning was that many of the players we signed before last season has improved THIS season.

Targett, Konsa, Luiz, Nakamba, Trezeguet

Heaton, Wesley and Engels hard to say anything about with all the injuries. 

I am not including the players that were signed after being on loan (El Ghazi and Mings). 

The abovementioned things lead to my comment that I believe Traore can be much better if we give him another season :D 

Disagree. Heaton is excellent. Wesley and Engels were both pretty mixed bag, but both averaged on the shite side.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Disagree. Heaton is excellent. Wesley and Engels were both pretty mixed bag, but both averaged on the shite side.

Fair enough.

I believe Heaton was far better than what we were used to. However I also believe he never settled properly before the injury, and I cant say he was that good as I expected him to be :) 

I think out of last year's signings, only El Ghazi undisputedly improved.

I don't buy the idea that our defenders have improved. Luiz has arguably regressed. Mings is still as error prone as ever. Targett I could see genuinely improvement in but  idk about Konsa. I think what happened was that we significantly changed our style of play after lockdown because what we were doing clearly wasn't working. We learned to defend as a team much better but as a side effect, we lost a lot of cutting edge in attack(which is why almost all of our goals scored post lockdown last season went through deadball situations via Hourihane).

This season we retained that post-lockdown solidity in defense after upgrading Guilbert with Cash and adding Martinez as goalkeeper improved our defense considerably. But at times, it feels like our attack has been very toothless. Originally we relied on the monstrous form of Grealish so now we had to rely on Watkins who's a great player but he isn't Jack Grealish. Traore is too inconsistent to be relied on heavily whilst we were lucky with El Ghazi's sudden increase in form.

The point I'm trying to make here is that I don't think we're playing all that different to how we were post-lockdown last season. We just considerably upgraded some players. Watkins, Martinez and arguably Cash are some real quality players that I think could significantly threaten most starting 11s including some top teams.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I think out of last year's signings, only El Ghazi undisputedly improved.

I don't buy the idea that our defenders have improved. Luiz has arguably regressed. Mings is still as error prone as ever. Targett I could see genuinely improvement in but  idk about Konsa. I think what happened was that we significantly changed our style of play after lockdown because what we were doing clearly wasn't working. We learned to defend as a team much better but as a side effect, we lost a lot of cutting edge in attack(which is why almost all of our goals scored post lockdown last season went through deadball situations via Hourihane).

This season we retained that post-lockdown solidity in defense after upgrading Guilbert with Cash and adding Martinez as goalkeeper improved our defense considerably. But at times, it feels like our attack has been very toothless. Originally we relied on the monstrous form of Grealish so now we had to rely on Watkins who's a great player but he isn't Jack Grealish. Traore is too inconsistent to be relied on heavily whilst we were lucky with El Ghazi's sudden increase in form.

The point I'm trying to make here is that I don't think we're playing all that different to how we were post-lockdown last season. We just considerably upgraded some players. Watkins, Martinez and arguably Cash are some real quality players that I think could significantly threaten most starting 11s including some top teams.

Do you watch our games on Ceefax?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't buy the idea that our defenders have improved.

Sorry (I know this is the Bertie thread) but..... WHAT?

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

ankle breaker 😆

So many fall over themselves after he goes past them😂

I love watching him.

Edited by sparrow1988

After he did that skill look how he nonchalantly passes it to Barkley. He’s a natural and when confident and playing instinctively he is a top player. When not so confident and having too much time to think is when he doesn’t look so good.

Great goal, also 1 good cross and 1 good interception.....

And pretty poor the rest of the game, lost the ball countless times in several different ways, misplacing passes, refusing to pass the ball, falling over, refusing to make a simple pass, trying to take on too many players.

When we have limited time on the ball we can't afford to be so wasteful and he was very wasteful today.

It's all or nothing with this chap this season. Fingers crossed he can step up and learn how and when to make the bread and butter passes and quicker passing. Just doing that will make him a much better player.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Great goal, also 1 good cross and 1 good interception.....

And pretty poor the rest of the game, lost the ball countless times in several different ways, misplacing passes, refusing to pass the ball, falling over, refusing to make a simple pass, trying to take on too many players.

When we have limited time on the ball we can't afford to be so wasteful and he was very wasteful today.

It's all or nothing with this chap this season. Fingers crossed he can step up and learn how and when to make the bread and butter passes and quicker passing. Just doing that will make him a much better player.

I love and hate him.  Great goal but he then leaves Cash so exposed because his defensive awareness for most of the game.  I wish he was an alternative than a starter based on current appearances but it’s his first season and I hope he works on his weaknesses. 

• Like 2

Â