Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

18 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I liked him at the start, thought he had something different but I think he’s been poor the last few matches.

I’ll get pelters on here, I’m sure, because people seem to think he’s generally very good so perhaps I’m missing something but I’d say it’s STILL an area we can improve on again in the summer. 

You only have to look at Neto to see what a proper wide player looks like. Traore just looks slow and too predictable. 

Like I say, I’m probably in the minority, but he’s not the player I thought he’d be and I find him VERY frustrating. 

I see exactly where you are coming from in your assessment, but at the same time he is a much better player than Trez and of the options we have right now and i cant see past Grealish on the left and Traore on the right.

Personally i think overall he has done ok (great sometimes, not so great others), but i also agree there are some observable issues with his game, but lets not forget he has been with us half-ish a season, lets not forget that it took Konsa, Mings, Luiz, Targett etc nearly the full season fully settle and show development/improvement/their true potential.

On balance though, i think this summer we need to invest in a top level right winger / right inside winger, then we will have Grealish, Traore, a new "top level" right winger and maybe Ghazi (or a promoted youth player) for two wide slots.

I agree if we wanted to push top 6 we need a top level right winger to complement Grealish, but tbh i think having Traore as one of the 4 wide players, i would be ok with that, he does have some ability and hopefully will only improve as he settles in to the league.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

One thing to bear in mind is he might not be fully settled yet. Yes it’s been six months since he signed but with COVID and everything it’s possible he is still finding his best form. Wouldn’t surprise me if he gave an extra 10% after a proper pre-season etc.

He definitely has more in his locker. Hopefully we get to see it. Otherwise, Rashica or Lookman or whoever will eat his lunch.

• Like 1

He struggles to affect the game in wide positions even more so since Jack’s injury,  Would have been more effective at 10 Yesterday than Barkley, he has started numerous counter attacks this season from central position he has all the attributes to play behind Ollie imo.

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I see exactly where you are coming from in your assessment, but at the same time he is a much better player than Trez and of the options we have right now and i cant see past Grealish on the left and Traore on the right.

Personally i think overall he has done ok (great sometimes, not so great others), but i also agree there are some observable issues with his game, but lets not forget he has been with us half-ish a season, lets not forget that it took Konsa, Mings, Luiz, Targett etc nearly the full season fully settle and show development/improvement/their true potential.

On balance though, i think this summer we need to invest in a top level right winger / right inside winger, then we will have Grealish, Traore, a new "top level" right winger and maybe Ghazi (or a promoted youth player) for two wide slots.

I agree if we wanted to push top 6 we need a top level right winger to complement Grealish, but tbh i think having Traore as one of the 4 wide players, i would be ok with that, he does have some ability and hopefully will only improve as he settles in to the league.

You have put my exact thoughts into words better than I ever could 😂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

He struggles to affect the game in wide positions even more so since Jack’s injury,  Would have been more effective at 10 Yesterday than Barkley, he has started numerous counter attacks this season from central position he has all the attributes to play behind Ollie imo.

Its worth a try but doubt if Smith fancies him there. I'd think wed be overun in midfield the same as when Barkley plays there, 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its worth a try but doubt if Smith fancies him there. I'd think wed be overun in midfield the same as when Barkley plays there, 

That’s my worry with him but he persisted with Barkley there 

He's lucky the fans aren't in the ground and so are a few others. The little flicks that don't work out would rapidly turn to sighs from the fans , the last thing he would need at this stage of his villa career. 

Incidentally I thought he look better than Adarma yesterday, who was next to useless for large parts of the game.

I have to be honest. I’m really not convinced by him. I much prefer a player that is a regular 7 or 8 out of 10 rather than a 9 one gameand a 4 or 5 the next. It’s only his first season in the league so hopefully the consistency will come but at the moment I’m finding him a bit frustrating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have to be honest. I’m really not convinced by him. I much prefer a player that is a regular 7 or 8 out of 10 rather than a 9 one gameand a 4 or 5 the next. It’s only his first season in the league so hopefully the consistency will come but at the moment I’m finding him a bit frustrating.

I think long term, he will be more of an impact dub, than a starter.

He seems to work hard sometimes and at others not so much.  I'm unsure as to whether that's him making a calculated guess that we'll win the ball back, so can spring a counter or not.

I think the other thing he seems to lack is that "killer instinct" - He could have had 2 goals on Saturday if he'd just continued his run, but he paused and sat back and missed the chance to shoot - Ollie was livid.

Then you get the sublime stuff where he'll dance around 3 players, unlucky to shoot a yard wide from a good position.  It's that "something from nothing" Smith probably likes, whereas you can't see Trez doing that - he'll score from hard work and good positioning (attack the back post).

Lastly, not Traore specific, but the amount of corners we have and it ends up with the ball bouncing on the penalty spot, or between the sport and the 18 yard line and it's always an opponent standing there to clear is crazy.

Just get someone to stop on the penalty spot and you'd have 2/3 shots a game depending on how many corners we get. 

• Like 1

He's shit.

For every 6 games he has 1 good game.

Anyone find that acceptable?

Even more inconsistent than El Goalzy and i've hardly seen a worse decision maker.

We need 2 quality wingers in the summer. Should be first priority

Edited by villalad21

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He's shit.

For every 6 games he has 1 good game.

Anyone find that acceptable?

Even more inconsistent than El Goalzy and i've hardly seen a worse decision maker.

We need 2 quality wingers in the summer. Should be first priority

I'd agree that two quality wingers are a must in the summer. Its the area of the pitch where we are weakest in our starting eleven for me.

Traore is more consistent than El Ghazi in that he is more consistently bad. He tends to have one or two moments of brilliance in a game but they're so rare and his off the ball work is so bad that he needs to be contributing far more to be worth his place in the side.

I'd have El Ghazi on the bench ahead of him if we sign a winger or two in the summer.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I do think Traore needs to be dropped from the starting line up next game. Been out of form for a bit now.

The problem is, starting el ghazi and trezeguet isnt the answer. Traore, despite being out of form, still creates our best chances and that's the most important thing when we don't have jack. 

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Thats it with me too. 

He's the same as Trez and El Ghazi in being half a good player. Trez has lots of work rate but not much skill or end product. El Ghazi has goal threat when he's on form, but little else and when he's bad, he's really, really bad. Traore can be really skilful and threatening one minute, then play like he's got 50p shaped boots on the next. Depending on who goes down out of Fulham or Newcastle I'd be after either Lookman or St Maximin. The other alternative is to play Ollie a bit wider, and get a new top notch number 9 in. (Not that Watkins isn't top notch, I just think with his all round ability he'd be just as good playing the Salah role in a front three).

Â