Playstation 5

villarule123

Interested (kind of...) in the MS story not because of Activision and their games but more because it seemed like every regulator going wanted a slice of it so how did they appease them all?

Take two are publishers more than developers aren't they? Means a lot of excitement will surround it but less actual impact 

Didn't mind them buying bungie because I felt they did it more for the intellect than the product and theyll eventually feed that intellect out in to other studios but this wave of buying studios can't be good 

And Sony need to announce something big imo, they're looking as gappy as the other 2 at the moment, spiderman and wolverine aside, they need another 1st party game, preferably a new one, feels like the next thing will be a last of us multiplayer reveal that no one wants 

13 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

So it looks like the regulators are going to pass Microsoft's purchase of Activision. Bad news for Sony. Rumours that they are going to push to acquire Take-Two now

Take Two have a market cap of 20 billion. Sony aint gonna be spending that type of money on a publisher. 

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

They might if it means they exist as a brand in gaming

I mean never say never but a purchase that size is about 1/5th of what Sony are worth iirc. So it seems very unlikely to me. Sony will be fine though, no one can make single player narrative driven games like they do. They may need to compete with Game Pass more but they have a huge marketshare already with their current business model. 

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Sony are going nowhere and if Microsoft buying ABK while keeping CoD multiplatform is enough to sink PlayStation then PlayStation was ultimately built on weak foundations. 

The games that Microsoft are likely to make exclusive from the ABK deal are the likes of Crash Bandicoot, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Spyro, Skylanders, Guitar Hero, and games like that which won't even cause the CEO of Sony Interactive to lose sleep. 

The only thing the ABK deal does is widen the gap between PlayStation being the place where you pay £70 for games, and Xbox being the place where you get everything for "free". Now, could that at some point be a big enough factor that PlayStation loses considerable marketshare? Sure, but that's going to take a while and will likely be reliant on more factors than just Game Pass getting more day one releases. I think Sony's output would also have to decline as people won't leave PlayStation while the first party games are good.

PS. The fact that the CMA dropped their console concerns means that the CMA don't even believe that this deal will hurt PlayStation in any real way. 

• Like 2

I don't think Sony will go extinct but they'll end up like Sega and just make games for others, not having their own console. The think with Microsoft is where does it end. EA? Take-Two? Sooner or later everything that isn't a first party Sony dev could be owned by Microsoft. They have the money and you'll already have all of Zenimax and Activision exclusive. 

Sony have too big a market share for that to happen, I'm sure current gen sales are 30m vs 20m and that's with the shortages, even if they do spunk a load of money on service games no one wants (and even with that if 1 lands and goes big it'll pay for the 20 others they put in the bin)

Will be interesting to see what buying Activision actually does - for all the studios Ms bought in the last 5 years they've still not released a killer new exclusive, seems like a fair few 7/10 enticing games but no real console seller beyond their existing fan base

For as good as game pass is there's still not a god of war on it

• Like 2

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Interested (kind of...) in the MS story not because of Activision and their games but more because it seemed like every regulator going wanted a slice of it so how did they appease them all?

Take two are publishers more than developers aren't they? Means a lot of excitement will surround it but less actual impact 

Didn't mind them buying bungie because I felt they did it more for the intellect than the product and theyll eventually feed that intellect out in to other studios but this wave of buying studios can't be good 

And Sony need to announce something big imo, they're looking as gappy as the other 2 at the moment, spiderman and wolverine aside, they need another 1st party game, preferably a new one, feels like the next thing will be a last of us multiplayer reveal that no one wants 

Take-Two is technically a holding company, same as Zenimax who Microsoft own now - Zenimax controls Bethesda etc

52 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Sony have too big a market share for that to happen, I'm sure current gen sales are 30m vs 20m and that's with the shortages, even if they do spunk a load of money on service games no one wants (and even with that if 1 lands and goes big it'll pay for the 20 others they put in the bin)

Will be interesting to see what buying Activision actually does - for all the studios Ms bought in the last 5 years they've still not released a killer new exclusive, seems like a fair few 7/10 enticing games but no real console seller beyond their existing fan base

For as good as game pass is there's still not a god of war on it

I think that's wholly the point. To be honest it seems like Microsoft couldn't develop their own 1st party franchises that anyone cares about so they are buying studios with established ones to effectively paywall them. People say Sony have their exclusives, but they are pretty much all 1st party ones, bar things like Destiny that's on Xbox anyway.

Sony has such a big share because people want their exclusives and generally would rather play multiplatform games on Playstation. Although I'm not sure if people are buying Playstations just for their exclusives, probably more familiarity and brand loyalty. But there is gonna be some huge franchises locked away by Microsoft so I can see that changing. 

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

To be honest it seems like Microsoft couldn't develop their own 1st party franchises that anyone cares about so they are buying studios with established ones to effectively paywall them.

I'm not really sure how much MS actually care about shipping consoles these days. They just try and funnel people into Game Pass. Whether that's through Xbox, Cloud, PC, whatever. It really wouldn't shock me if a lot of Activision/Zenimax games end up on Playstation anyways. It's a lot of money to miss out on by making them exclusive if your primary focus is being a software company over hardware. Or maybe in some crazy world Playstation will allow Game Pass on their consoles. 

24 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm not really sure how much MS actually care about shipping consoles these days. They just try and funnel people into Game Pass. Whether that's through Xbox, Cloud, PC, whatever. It really wouldn't shock me if a lot of Activision/Zenimax games end up on Playstation anyways. It's a lot of money to miss out on by making them exclusive if your primary focus is being a software company over hardware. Or maybe in some crazy world Playstation will allow Game Pass on their consoles. 

You're right they don't. There's no money in hardware, and new IP's are very risky so instead they are buying and locking away established franchises. Game Pass is Microsoft's big play, they want it on every possible device even smart TV's. That's why they'll make these huge franchises exclusive to their environment because people will have no choice and it's easily accessible.

To be honest people shoot it down as saying Sony would never agree but Game Pass on Playstation would do more damage to Microsoft I think as you'd have all the Microsoft and PlayStation exclusives on PlayStation

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

+ samsung TVs

dont know why they arent doing controller + game pass bundles yet

if they got it to work that would be a game changer, rather than a £500 console that you cant buy because of the shortages anyway their competition for sony is a £60 controller and £10 a month on a smart TV

21 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Sony will be just fine. Even with Activision I'd bet my remaining kidney MS still won't get near them.

7 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Although I'm not sure if people are buying Playstations just for their exclusives

It's precisely why the majority buy PlayStation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

this months PSN game library games - 

• Kena: Bridge of Spirits (PS4, PS5)
  • Doom Eternal (PS4, PS5)
  • Riders Republic (PS4, PS5)
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PS4)
  • Slay the Spire (PS4)
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (PS4, PS5)
  • The Evil Within (PS4)
  • Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PS4)
  • Bassmaster Fishing (PS4, PS5)
  • Paradise Killer (PS4, PS5)
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS4, PS5)
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Finally... Ratchet and clank is on psn+

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)

Humanity (PS4, PS5)

Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4, PS5)

Dishonored 2 (PS4)

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (PS4)

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (PS4)

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (PS4)

Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration (PS4)

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4)

Bus Simulator 21: Next Stop (PS4, PS5)

The Evil Within 2 (PS4)

Wolfenstein: Youngblood (PS4)

Thymesia (PS5)

Rain World (PS4)

Lake (PS4, PS5)

Conan Exiles (PS4)

Rune Factory 4 Special (PS4)

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (PS4)

Soundfall (PS4, PS5)

Good month but I'm sure today is the day that the psn collection goes

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Finally... Ratchet and clank is on psn+

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)

Humanity (PS4, PS5)

Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4, PS5)

Dishonored 2 (PS4)

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (PS4)

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (PS4)

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (PS4)

Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration (PS4)

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4)

Bus Simulator 21: Next Stop (PS4, PS5)

The Evil Within 2 (PS4)

Wolfenstein: Youngblood (PS4)

Thymesia (PS5)

Rain World (PS4)

Lake (PS4, PS5)

Conan Exiles (PS4)

Rune Factory 4 Special (PS4)

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (PS4)

Soundfall (PS4, PS5)

Good month but I'm sure today is the day that the psn collection goes

Not if you've redeemed them, right?

Or have I got that mixed up?

Â