Pre Match Thread

tomav84

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think sky have been pretty clever in putting it on live, knowing it’s our first game of the season means people will make extra effort to watch it, plus some neutrals might keen to see how we look.

I just wish I hadn’t booked a table out for me and the missus on the assumption that it wouldn’t be on the TV oops.

Unlimited ribs and wings tho for £13, be rude not to!

More importantly, where on earth is a deal like that!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

Steer 

Kesler              Engels              Hause                Taylor 

Nakamba

J Ramsey                  Hourihane

Trezeguet                                                           El Ghazi 

Davis

Will surely be a way stronger team that that.

If we put out reserves we run risk of going undercooked going into Sheffield game given they've played tonight and also got a leage cup game.

I think most of our 11 for first prem match will start, hopefully we're winning 2 or 3 nil by hour-70 mins and then 3 of them can be subbed off.

Certainly expecting Watkins to start.

I don't think we need a third central midfielder against a team that lost to Fleetwood Town two days ago. Full strength with two forwards for me.

Steer

Guilbert Konsa Engels Targett

Trez McGinn Luiz Grealish

Watkins Samatta

I see this as a final preseason warm up, it’s a chance to find a bit more team cohesion ahead of Sheffield United next week. 

The team picks itself for me. 

Steer

Cash         Konsa       Mings       Targett

Douglas-Luiz 

McGinn                Hourihane 

Trezeguet                                Grealish 

Watkins 

• Like 2

yes fairly strong I hope as it's a good competitive warm up match this. 

Steer; Cash, Konsa Mings Targett, Luiz McGinn Hourihane, El Ghazi, Watkins, Trezeguet. 

Grealish on bench. Give Samata some game time second half. 

I'd go fairly strong for this. Not as if we've had some intense pre season and we don't play again until Monday. 

Steer
Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett
                     Luiz
         McGinn - Hourihane
      Trez - Watkins - Grealish

Basically what we just played against United but I wouldn't mind Ramsey in for Hourihane and go 4231.

We have played Burton five times in all. We have met them four times in the Championship in seasons 2016/17 & 2017/18. As has been said, we were beaten 1-0 at The Pirelli Stadium in this competition two years ago. That was an occasion where our then boss, found that making wholesale team changes can result in a humiliating defeat. Burton were up for it that night and we certainly were not. Overall, we have had three wins, a draw and the aforementioned cup defeat against The Brewers. 

Do we really want a run in this competition again and a trip to Reading, or to Northampton in the next round? Probably not, but this game will provide a welcome run out for players who did not get an international call-up or who got one, but didn't play or didn't play more than a few minutes. I think we will start this game with something approaching a first team line-up. We could do with retaining the optimism that our recent signings (Jack in particular today) have given us and we don't want to start the new season off with a televised defeat, so a win it is. Hopefully, we will be in a position to make some early second half substitutions, but Burton demonstrated two years ago, that they won't make it easy for us. Will Jed be between the sticks? Will Jack, Tyrone and our new signings start? I'm looking forward to it and I'm hoping that the players selected, will take the opportunity to show that they are well up for the new season as well.     

I'm SO excited for this! expecting a full strength team in preparation for the Sheffield United game at the weekend. I think they are there for the taking and its a great opportunity to get 3 points and a good start to the season.

I think Trez will start but we might go 2 up top with Davis alongside Watkins and Jack behind.

3-0 Villa and a huge air or positivity in our sails going into the weekend. Grealish, Watkins and McGinn

Steer

Cash      Mings  /  Konsa    Targett

McGinn     Luiz     Hourihane

Trez   Watkins   Grealish

Subs: Nyland, Lansbury, Samatta, AEM, Davis, Hause, Vassilev