Pre Match Thread

tomav84

With all the excitement around new signings i keep forgetting about this match. i can see a pretty much full strength line up personally. be nice for watkins to grab his first goals in a villa shirt

• Like 2

We faced them in the 2nd round of the League Cup two years ago and lost 1-0. Check out the side we put out:

image.png.7c5bb985530099d6ae75b6a042b217e1.png

🤮🤮🤮

Oh and Albert Adomah had a last minute penalty saved by "debutant substitute keeper Harry Campbell" who was released by Burton at the end of the season and seemingly has retired from professional football despite being only 24. :flag: 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hornso said:

We faced them in the 2nd round of the League Cup two years ago and lost 1-0. Check out the side we put out:

🤮🤮🤮

Oh and Albert Adomah had a last minute penalty saved by "debutant substitute keeper Harry Campbell" who was released by Burton at the end of the season and seemingly has retired from professional football despite being only 24. :flag: 

Shows how far we've come. Ideally, not one of those players would be in our starting XI for Burton away! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hornso said:

🤮🤮🤮

whats amazing is that 5 of those players are still in our current squad, and all 5 actually played last season.

Edited by MaVilla

13 hours ago, Hornso said:

🤮🤮🤮

I think that looks like a good line up on the whole? Don't have too much bad to say about the majority of those players, played their part in a successful promotion season. Incredibly defensive team and subs but it was Bruce and we had an injury crisis if memory serves. 

9 hours ago, skarroki said:

I think that looks like a good line up on the whole? Don't have too much bad to say about the majority of those players, played their part in a successful promotion season. Incredibly defensive team and subs but it was Bruce and we had an injury crisis if memory serves. 

Don't have a problem with the players, apart from Moreira, but that bunch as a team is defensively dire, has as much cutting edge as a lettuce leaf and barely fired a shot against a League 1 opponent. There may have been an injury crisis (?) but there is no attacking threat off the bench, no plan B. Smacks of Bruce . A visit to the pre-match/match/post-match threads just solidifies my stance. 

It could be argued this is or isn't far off the low point of the club from our time in the Championship with the majority of the key players from the promotion winning side absent for various reasons (Mings, Jack, McGinn, Abraham, Steer etc).

On 10/09/2020 at 10:48, alreadyexists said:

I predict a 0-3 Villa win. 

We should be in high spirits after the miracle escape just a month ago, so I agree. It doesn't matter who we put out, it matters whether we're up to it or not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Got to go pretty full strength as we haven’t had a game this weekend. Get some goals first half and then can make a couple changes 

You’d reckon so, use it to try and add some match sharpness with missing GW1.

Steer (Martinez 🤞🏻), Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett, Douglas Luiz, McGinn, Hourihane, Trez, Ollie, Jack. 

Hopefully we’ll field the following as our first league match isn’t for another 6 days after 

..............Martinez

Cash.Konsa.Mings.Targett

...McGinn.Luiz.Hourihane

Trezeguet.Watkins.Grealish

Doubt if we sign a winger (or two) they’d be ready for the cup game.

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Hopefully we’ll field the following as our first league match isn’t for another 6 days after 

..............Martinez

Cash.Konsa.Mings.Targett

...McGinn.Luiz.Hourihane

the sheff utd game is 5 days later isnt it?

im torn as to whether we should play the "first 11", or go with a B team.......

might be worth fielding the first 11 for fitness, then sub 3 important players (poss watkins, grealish & another), off after 60-65 mins.

i would also go with that team as our first 11, although i hope to the lord we have a new CM & RW/IF by the sheff utd game, that first 11 is hardly any better than last years first 11.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

On 10/09/2020 at 00:51, Hornso said:

🤮🤮🤮

Bloody hell only 2 yrs ago?! Totally different team/era to now. I forgot about Moireria- how many keepers have we bought  or loaned in in the last 2/3 yrs?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, theboyangel said:

..............Martinez

Cash.Konsa.Mings.Targett

...McGinn.Luiz.Hourihane

I would go for a lineup like this. Since we have some time before 1st league match we should use this match as another preseason game for fitness and some positive momentum. Maybe too soon for martinez after signing. Steer could start.

• Like 1