Emiliano Martínez

hippo

He brings so much confidence to the team. His influence back there shouldn’t be underestimated. He’s made some great saves already. 

There was a shot from just outside the box against Liverpool, I can’t remember who. It looked like a bit of a thunderbastard and he just caught it. Easy as you like. It was straight down his neck, but it wasn’t an easy catch. Just made me think, blimey. A good keeper. I’d forgotten what it felt like. 

2 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Agree Friedel was top drawer. But Martinez like Bossie catches balls most keepers paries away. Martinez could be better as his kicking is alot lot better. That really was the one thing that let him down.

It was but back then kicking wasn't as nearly as important as it is in today's game. 

1 hour ago, JamieZ said:

Great article in the Independent about our new No. 1. I'm already in love with the guy. May his Villa career be happy and long lived.

Seems like a really nice bloke but more importantly from a footballing perspective, he has something to prove to both himself and to a lesser extent, Arsenal. You can tell from the interview that he needed a team that would trust him after having him wait in the wings for so long - “I thought if I played well that game, I would be No 1, but afterwards it still wasn’t clear who was going to start in the league,” he explains. “I was told that there was a 95 per cent chance I would start against Fulham [on the first day of the season], but I just thought, ‘why not 100 per cent?’ Something didn’t feel right. 

He talks very respectfully about Arsenal and Arteta, which shows a bit of class too - it'd be understandable if he were less flattering considering how much he gave and how little they reciprocated. As we've seen with that club lately, though, they don't really know how to treat or look after their people. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I'm so effing glad that Arteta said 95, and not 99 or 100. Genuinely think he'd still be there if he'd said that, even if Arteta had been lying about it.

If he had said 99 I think emi would still have left. If he couldn't be guaranteed the start after lenis first game back what about the 2nd or the 3rd.

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

If he had said 99 I think emi would still have left. If he couldn't be guaranteed the start after lenis first game back what about the 2nd or the 3rd.

True, I meant if he implied "you're starting unless you're injured" with the 99% , but yes, he was absolutely right to leave given the lack of assurance. And I could not be happier that we've benefited from it

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

A shame that he never got his Argentina debut over night. Hopefully the next game for him. They played River goalkeeper Armani ahead of him, who’s 33

Very odd. Looked Armani up and he's never played outside Argentina. Yet Emi is now playing and performing in the PL at a very high level and doesn't get in the team. 

Hopefully he gets in for their next game as he absolutely deserves it. Probably one of the best GKs in the Prem at the moment. 

2 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Has he been here long enough to qualify to play for England? He has the goalkeeping ability of Pope without the wooden legged hoofs and the footballing ability of Pickford without letting every shot in and dropping every cross.

No thanks, the title of England #1 has crippled many a keeper. Rather that trend continue with another club's keeper.

6 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Very odd. Looked Armani up and he's never played outside Argentina. Yet Emi is now playing and performing in the PL at a very high level and doesn't get in the team. 

Hopefully he gets in for their next game as he absolutely deserves it. Probably one of the best GKs in the Prem at the moment. 

in Argentina they dont really care where a player plays, the media and fans in Argentina love Tevez over Messi for example

9 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Has he been here long enough to qualify to play for England? He has the goalkeeping ability of Pope without the wooden legged hoofs and the footballing ability of Pickford without letting every shot in and dropping every cross.

I imagine so but he seems proud of his heritage and imagine it’s only a matter of time before he makes the spot his own

Â