Emiliano Martínez

hippo

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Was good when he held the ball straight up in the air just before half-time. I have no idea what he was doing, but I liked it.

uv6xXZR.jpg

I'm guessing was a stretching exercise, with a sort muscle memory reminder of the height of the crossbar. Little details, marginal gains. I like it. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Greenfly said:

He always seems to be with Matty Cash. Looks like they're striking up a solid friendship.

I may be completely wrong here as the positions aren't numbered, but whenever I've had shirts laid out for me, it's always been in order of position. What I'm getting at is, I think Martinez would be next to cash in the changing room. Either way, having good friendships all across the changing room can only be a good thing!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I may be completely wrong here as the positions aren't numbered, but whenever I've had shirts laid out for me, it's always been in order of position. What I'm getting at is, I think Martinez would be next to cash in the changing room. Either way, having good friendships all across the changing room can only be a good thing!

And they're both the new lads, which may be a factor. 

He really is a spectacular keeper. Arsenal are mad. He seems to be a real character too, in a good way. Its just so easy to warm to him, without him seemingly doing anything beyond being a very good player. If he keeps this form up then we have a top half finish comfortably within our grasp. 

7 hours ago, MrBlack said:

He really is a spectacular keeper. Arsenal are mad. He seems to be a real character too, in a good way. Its just so easy to warm to him, without him seemingly doing anything beyond being a very good player. If he keeps this form up then we have a top half finish comfortably within our grasp. 

On the Arsenal forum they seemed to think the reason he was leaving is because he was told he'd be dropped straight to the bench as soon as Leno was fit again. Seemed strange they didn't rate him enough to even let him keep his shirt until he made a clanger.

10 hours ago, TRO said:

Much more important signing than i think many of us initially appreciated.

He has lifted the whole team.

In some ways he is our statement signing of the summer. He is a player going into his peak years and has come from what many view as one of the elite premier league clubs. He was receiving rave reviews for his displays and was being credited with playing a big part in Arsenals revival and trophy wins. To be seen to be capable of signing a player like that must show the rest of the squad where we aim to be. It also shows other future signings that Aston Villa mean business and are a club to be taken seriously. A snip at the money we paid for him. 

• Like 1

Already exceeded everyone since Friedel at least and we are 3 games in! Only Heaton I would argue that would be unfair on given the injury but he is easily better than Given/Guzan/Steer/Bunn/Gollini/Johnstone/Nyland/Moriera/Kalinic/Reina (that is 11 keepers in 9 years since Friedel left!). Just gives so much confidence at the back. 

Him and Watkins are likely to be the best £50million Villa have spent in a very, very, long time and I found it very interesting that he said the ambition is to play in Europe next season. I think we may be in for a better season than we expected back in July. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Already exceeded everyone since Friedel at least and we are 3 games in! Only Heaton I would argue that would be unfair on given the injury but he is easily better than Given/Guzan/Steer/Bunn/Gollini/Johnstone/Nyland/Moriera/Kalinic/Reina (that is 11 keepers in 9 years since Friedel left!). Just gives so much confidence at the back. 

Him and Watkins are likely to be the best £50million Villa have spent in a very, very, long time and I found it very interesting that he said the ambition is to play in Europe next season. I think we may be in for a better season than we expected back in July. 

Jeez, that string of names really does show how bad we've had it on the keeper front.  Johnstone had potential but was never ours,  Given was ok but way past his best,  same for Reina. Bleak times indeed.  We've come a long way in all departments, but GK especially so

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Going from reina/nyland to martinez is like upgrading your nissan micra to a ferrari

Let's be more realistic here. Reina in vehicle form would likely contain a steam engine.

15 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I had assumed it was a homage to that famous time Nyland miraculously kept the ball from going over the line against Sheffield United.

This is exactly what I thought :D 

Â