Emiliano Martínez

hippo

3 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He’s so good that when he concedes 3 times and plays distinctly average like he did against Leeds, it comes as a big shock to me. Back to normal today hopefully.

It doesn't help Emi when our defence play badly and make silly errors. 

5 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He’s so good that when he concedes 3 times and plays distinctly average like he did against Leeds, it comes as a big shock to me. Back to normal today hopefully.

Back to normal for a lot of our players hopefully.

Martinez didn't play great against Leeds, but he definitely wasn't helped by Konsa, Mings and Luiz who are his main line of defence.

That Leeds game was just bad all round outside of Buendia, Coutinho and Ramsey bossing it in attack.

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It doesn't help Emi when our defence play badly and make silly errors. 

It doesn't, but he's also not infallible.

He makes his fair share of avoidable mistakes does our Emi. It's just that none of us care as we all love him.

Under Smith the Arsenal reserve keeper developed into a genuine world class player. Winning plaudits across Europe, getting picked for Argentina and winning the Coppa American and golden gloves.

Under Gerrard he's resembling prime Enkleman.

What's going on at our club at the moment?

• Like 1

im not sure Martinez is to blame, i dunno, maybe it was the poor wall, or poor placement of defending players in and around the wall, or something else, i dunno....

But conceding a goal like that, the ball firing right in to the bang centre of your goal, is just......prime Villa.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

im not sure Martinez is to blame, i dunno, maybe it was the poor wall, or poor placement of defending players in and around the wall, or something else, i dunno....

But conceding a goal like that, the ball firing right in to the bang centre of your goal, is just......prime Villa.

There no blame to apportion... Martinez was just so assured previously. Claiming crosses, barking orders, taking charge.

Feels like that's gone away. The mix up with Mings is a case in point. He seems out of sorts and somewhat low on confidence for some reason.

1 hour ago, beachboys1 said:

cant blame martinez when ball was deflected by buendia

Quite right, nothing he could do.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Bullshit complaints. Took a major deflection

I've not seen anyone suggesting he should haved saved the shot... or really complaining actually.

38 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

There are far far bigger problems at the club than this guy.

Bloody hell. The central defence, midfield and striker for starters.

Don't disagree... But I'm concerned his drop in form is so stark might be an indication of trouble at the club. I mean his current demeanor is miles away from the confidant, cross-catching, world beater from just a few weeks ago.

28 minutes ago, 1974Centenary said:

jimmygreaves is blaming Gerrard not Martinez.read his posts again

He’s still calling Martinez enckleman, I assume because of the goal today. If I’ve got that wrong I’ll take it back. 

As I said in the match thread that was on MacPhee for me.  Really small wall allowing Newcastle players to stand in the direct line of the ball to goal,  then Buendia taking that odd crouching stance neither here nor there essentially providing a great target for a deflection. 

Very odd set piece defence. 

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He’s still calling Martinez enckleman, I assume because of the goal today. If I’ve got that wrong I’ll take it back. 

I'm not blaming anybody, I'm merely asking "what's going on?". Martinez has gone from being arguably the best keeper at villa in my lifetime to one who charges off his line towards a ball he could never win almost resulting in an og for Mings.

That doesn't happen 10 weeks ago. That Martinez has vanished.

Back then he's commanding the box, catching crosses, in charge. He's been off the pace for while.

What's caused the massive switch in form?

Edited by jimmygreaves

I'm attributing a good bit of the goal to Martinez - he had Buendia move a yard to the left, then two yards yard to the right, then two to the left - then hurriedly left him in a strange area just off the end of the wall that interfered with his line of vision and gave Trippier a gap to aim at - it was just odd. Martinez has got to be better at organising a wall than that. It was schoolboy stuff.

He had no chance of actually stopping it with the deflection it took.

Â